Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!! >

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Time To Turn The PGC Into Scrap!!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

If those acorns are not gone by the end of January, they are still laying there the next year. Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. The bear are now being over hunted in that area, the flocks of turkey are 10% of what they were 10 years ago, ( I do not know why) and there is not enough deer to clean up the acorns that are left. Seven deer in 8" of snow will paw up an area on the side of a mountain looking for acorns that looks like 30 deer were at it. You just showed me what you know about hunting and deer in general. Go back to your quality deer hunting club, end of discussion.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gunplummer
If those acorns are not gone by the end of January, they are still laying there the next year. Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. The bear are now being over hunted in that area, the flocks of turkey are 10% of what they were 10 years ago, ( I do not know why) and there is not enough deer to clean up the acorns that are left. Seven deer in 8" of snow will paw up an area on the side of a mountain looking for acorns that looks like 30 deer were at it. You just showed me what you know about hunting and deer in general. Go back to your quality deer hunting club, end of discussion.
Wow,it's no wonder the PGC snub guys like you.Acorns are a seed source for future regeneration.If the deer eat every acorn on the ground,there's no future regeneration.They're more than just food for deer.Those seedling also provide important browse for deer during the winter.Acorns do provide an important food source for deer when there's a good crop but it can't be relied upon.Deer need high quality prefered browse during the winter.It's that simple and many areas of the nborthern tier simply don't have enough to sustain a large deer herd.On top of that,not all acorns are good.Alot of them get infested by a weevile and they rot.Acorns rotting on top of the ground were probably no good to begin with.We had a huge mast crop in this part of 2G and every good acorn that I've found this spring was sprouting.It takes energy for deer to dig through snow looking for acorns.During the winter,they'll rarely expend that kind of energy if they have high quality browse to feed on.Unfortunately,hunters demanded far too mnay deer for too long and the northern tier of Pa is overbrowsed to the point where that high quality browse was essentially wiped out.

I'm not sure what you refer to when you say the bear are being overhunted.The bear population in the northern tier has grown substantially over the past 20 years.So much in fact,that hunters all over that area are complaining that there's too many bear and they're eating all the fawns.

I haven't sen any decrease in turkey sighting but the spring weather play an important role in poult survival.There's little the PGC can do about that.

You are definately a disgruntled hunter that doesn't have any of your facts strait.

By the way,I don't belong to any type of quality deer hunting club.I don't hunt anywhere near any agricultural areas and I don't hunt areas that have food plots.I hunt the big woods of 2G and every place I hunt is open to the public.In fact,all of my rifle hunting is done on either state land or land owned by timber companies that's dmap'd and open to the public.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RSB
At 38 deer per square mile it would mean there were more than 1.7 million deer in the state. Do you remember back in about 2002 how hunters went nuts when the Pennsylvania Game Commission estimated there were 1.6 million deer? Hunters simply went nuts and said no way were there that many deer and the Game Commission was just making up numbers. Now when it fits your agenda you want people to believe there were even more deer than the all time highest Game Commission estimate. What is up with that? Are you now saying there really were even more deer than the Game Commission estimated?

Dick Bodenhorn
What #'s are hunters suppose to believe??? The bogus PGC. #'s?
Like I said in the title of the thread, the PGC needs to be turned into scrap and dumped into the ocean. the hunters of PA. will be far better off. Pike
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by j pike
what #'s are hunters suppose to believe??? The bogus pgc. #'s?
Like i said in the title of the thread, the pgc needs to be turned into scrap and dumped into the ocean. The hunters of pa. Will be far better off. Pike
r.s.b was confusing deer per square miles with deer per forested square mile.big difference.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Fork Horn

Y'all just like to argue I think.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by moosemike
Y'all just like to argue I think.
Nope.I hate to argue.However,I hate it worse when people try to spread pure nonsense.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:48 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by J Pike
What #'s are hunters suppose to believe??? The bogus PGC. #'s?
Like I said in the title of the thread, the PGC needs to be turned into scrap and dumped into the ocean. the hunters of PA. will be far better off. Pike
How could you say something so arrogant, biased and inflammatory and still use your picture of the legal antler sheds you found in Pennsylvania as your aviator?

Your antler pictures sure donít support your level of animosity toward the deer management program. Obviously there are not only plenty of deer in your area but also many legal bucks that manage to avoid hunters all fall.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
RSB
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
r.s.b was confusing deer per square miles with deer per forested square mile.big difference.
If he was saying 38 deer per forested square mile you are correct that I misunderstood what he was saying.

Pennsylvania is about 66% with about 29,966 square miles of forested land across the state. At 38 deer per forested square mile there would be an estimated 1.14 million deer in the state. Of course not all forested areas of the state have an equal number of deer because not all forested habitats are equal. Some forested habitat supports almost no deer per square mile while other areas of forest can support 60-80 deer per square mile.

It is totally apparent that not all areas have equal numbers of deer per forested square mile just by looking at the fact that last year the deer harvests ranged from only 2.54 harvested per forested square mile in WMU 2G to a high of 31.88 deer harvested per forested square mile in unit 5C. WMU 2B wasnít far behind with 31.11 harvested per forested square mile.

Dick Bodenhorn
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
So you're saying that there should be so many deer out there that they clean up every last one.If the acorns were rotting in January,they were no good to begin with so it's no wonder the deer didn't touch them.
there was so much acorns and lack of enough deer to eat them that they are laying all over trails .deer like the white oak ones ,so a lot of red oak ones were left.
i seen deer go a fairly long way to get at white oak acorns and pass up the reds.
but deer are very scare here in western clinton so a lot of feed went to waste, for sure......
Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by RSB
If he was saying 38 deer per forested square mile you are correct that I misunderstood what he was saying.

Pennsylvania is about 66% with about 29,966 square miles of forested land across the state. At 38 deer per forested square mile there would be an estimated 1.14 million deer in the state. Of course not all forested areas of the state have an equal number of deer because not all forested habitats are equal. Some forested habitat supports almost no deer per square mile while other areas of forest can support 60-80 deer per square mile.

It is totally apparent that not all areas have equal numbers of deer per forested square mile just by looking at the fact that last year the deer harvests ranged from only 2.54 harvested per forested square mile in WMU 2G to a high of 31.88 deer harvested per forested square mile in unit 5C. WMU 2B wasnít far behind with 31.11 harvested per forested square mile.

Dick Bodenhorn
i will agree with just 2.54 dpsm harvested in wmu2g in clinton county. i feel its lower but i will agree as that is close.
that is close to my 3DPSM that i feel we have in clinton county and that may high.
when there is 3 dpsm ,usually what is left is just 1 deer from those 3.

my walking in winter every other day as much as i can with toby proves that.i try different areas so i dont get bored .these areas cover about 15 mile circle which i know from 46 yrs hunting every swale/hollow .
this was WORST winter i have seen on our feeder count. i had feeders that no deer came too.i think they took corn out of feeders. those 3 feeders last year had average of 3/4 deer on my trail cameras.this year, NUTTIN ,1 set of tracks .......

some places we are going to remove feeders as last 2 seasons, no deer...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.