Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY Hunters; Comments on 2009 NYSDEC Deer Harvest >

NY Hunters; Comments on 2009 NYSDEC Deer Harvest

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY Hunters; Comments on 2009 NYSDEC Deer Harvest

Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default Weather. hunters ???

I believe a little of everything playing a HUGE factor on the 2009 deer season .
I also hunted Northern and Southern zones in 09 .
I hunted just abought evry day some morning , some evening and some both .
I only hunt Southern tier opening ( 3 days ). But myself and 6 other hunters had unusualy bad luck .
We took 2 bucks and 1 doe between 7 guys .
We did miss 2 bucks , but taken into consideration the very few doe,s we seen it was not a very good season .
Now in the Northern section and only speeking for myself .
I managed to take a decent buck .
Not a huge one but he was decent .
In all my daily hunts there were a substansual drop in deer numbers in 2009 from the previous hunting seasons .
Not sure if it was the weather, or lack of hunters or a VERY FRIGGED 2008 winter the deer numbers were way down ..
Old 04-05-2010, 04:15 AM
Typical Buck

traditional b/p season NO INLINES OR SCOPES
SIDELOCKS OR FLINTERS IRON SIGHTS
Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

A sidelock shooting conicals or sabots looses nothing to an unscoped inline and is easily a 100 yard plus gun.
Like I said - bowseason is not split into trad and modern. Why does gun need to have seperations.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Daveboone
As a very long time NYS hunter, my opinion is that newer generation of hunters has totally unrealistic perception of what hunting is supposed to be. As haphazard as it seems deer reporting is by the hunters, how are we to blame the state for underfunded and understaffed attempts to do the best they can?
I heartliy second that. DEC does the best they can with a very difficult task. In reality it is a best-educated-guess. It is highly reliant on reporting, so if you complain and don't report you are part of the problem.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Typical Buck

We saw a few less does were we hunt in the Southern Zone, but that's what we want. I hunted in the Northern and Southern Zones. Got a doe on the first day of bow up north and a wall hanger 9 in November in the southern zone. I think there's too many people out there that don't report their deer. It would give the DEC an easier job when determining how many tags to sell and what changes need to be made to what zones. Hunters have to do their job too, instead of shrugging a harvest off and not reporting it in.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Spike

I wonder what the plans are for the 2010 DMP's then ?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

we had a great season just above albany you know its good when you wack two on state land ten minuets outa the truck during muzzloader season then fill the rest of your tags in 4 days with only have hunting 5 days during muzzloader season and i could have gotten alot more i actualy passed on deer and being from MA never thought id do that
Old 07-04-2010, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

I did fine, filled 3 tags for archery, got a doe during shotgun. Bucks disappeared all shotgun season which stunk but can't say my season was bad...