Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Pa sportsmen groups speaks out about audit >

Pa sportsmen groups speaks out about audit

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa sportsmen groups speaks out about audit

Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

ENOUGH with all this regeneration, the trees look nice and nothing lives under them..I liked it alot better watching all those starving under-nourished deer walking around in herds than looking at healthy trees..the part I never could figure out is if all those deer were so destructive to the beautiful habitat in the 60's-70's and 80's, where did all these award winning hardwoods we now have get their start..I thought all those herds were supposed to be so destructive..maybe the aliens beamed them down...so much for the argument that we needed regeneration to fatten the bank accounts of the beloved wildlife managers..I feel for you guys up in the north central mountains..it gets old looking at beautiful trees!! Wonder what a brown deer would do for everyones spirits.. Let's get started on another genus move by those PGCers...FISHERS !! The amount of damage they are causing is stunning to the turkey population, remember they said "they'll kill those porkers" that are ringing our trees and causing us to loose money...another classic mistake!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Potterco
you forget DougE I've been around this game alot longer than you. I've watched the state of Pa go from nearly no deer to post WWII deer numbers then increase and now for much of the state be nearly pre WWII numbers again...as a boy in southcentral Pa it was unheard of to see a deer track in farm rich areas..while the northcentral counties held lots of deer...now the tables are flipped yet people like yourself whom live among good deer numbers fail to admit there are LARGE sections of PA where seeing a track is once again a major event....Call that false information??????? Buy a tank of gas and come up to 3A..why do you think deer camps are being sold and converted to homes now/... Too many deer, yeah right.. too few deer/try nearly none! Yet what is the anterless tag allotment for 3A?...nearly none...nope NEARLY 30,000. Yes that makes good sense doesn't it???????????????????????
I lived the first twenty years of my life in 3B between Tunkhannock and Wyalusing.For the past 21 years I live and do all of my hunting in 2G where the deer density is less than what you have in 3A.I rifle hunt strictly public land from the bottom of 2G all the way up to Cameron county.I don't have problems finding deer in any of those areas.

Seeing a deer track is not a major event anywhere in Pa.Heck,acording to you,you can kill one anytime you want from your window.

By the way.I never said we have too many deer.I said we had too many and it's a proven scientific fact.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurel
ENOUGH with all this regeneration, the trees look nice and nothing lives under them..I liked it alot better watching all those starving under-nourished deer walking around in herds than looking at healthy trees..the part I never could figure out is if all those deer were so destructive to the beautiful habitat in the 60's-70's and 80's, where did all these award winning hardwoods we now have get their start..I thought all those herds were supposed to be so destructive..maybe the aliens beamed them down...so much for the argument that we needed regeneration to fatten the bank accounts of the beloved wildlife managers..I feel for you guys up in the north central mountains..it gets old looking at beautiful trees!! Wonder what a brown deer would do for everyones spirits.. Let's get started on another genus move by those PGCers...FISHERS !! The amount of damage they are causing is stunning to the turkey population, remember they said "they'll kill those porkers" that are ringing our trees and causing us to loose money...another classic mistake!!
All of those award wnning hardwoods got their start when the northern tier was clearcut in the early 20th century.Back then there were so few deer that they had to bring them in from out of state and stock them.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
All of those award wnning hardwoods got their start when the northern tier was clearcut in the early 20th century.Back then there were so few deer that they had to bring them in from out of state and stock them.
well you may have been born up in 3B but it's OBVIOUS you don't know squat about timber! Most of Pa's hardwoods are used for pulp and most are 2 generations from what you're talking about...stick to the city son you may get hurt walking around the real mountains!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

>Let's get started on another genus move by those PGCers...FISHERS !! The amount of damage they are causing is stunning to the turkey population, remember they said "they'll kill those porkers" that are ringing our trees and causing us to loose money...another classic mistake!!

So the only wildlife that should exist are the ones you get your jollies off on hunting?

Fishers are a native species to PA and the last time I checked turkey populations are at 100 year high in numbers and range in PA.

WV Gino

Last edited by WV Gino; 03-11-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Potterco
well you may have been born up in 3B but it's OBVIOUS you don't know squat about timber! Most of Pa's hardwoods are used for pulp and most are 2 generations from what you're talking about...stick to the city son you may get hurt walking around the real mountains!!!!!!!
Never spent more than a weekend in any city and only ever did that twice.

Most of Pa's timber is not used for pulp.What am I talking about that will take another two generations?

You can come and hunt Sinnemahing with me some time.I promise to carry you back down if you can make it at least half way up.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Gino
>Let's get started on another genus move by those PGCers...FISHERS !! The amount of damage they are causing is stunning to the turkey population, remember they said "they'll kill those porkers" that are ringing our trees and causing us to loose money...another classic mistake!!

So the only wildlife that should exist are the ones you get your jollies off on hunting?

Fishers are a native species to PA and the last time I checked turkey populations were are at 100 year high in numbers and range in PA.

WV Gino
Frank like to cry about no turkeys but last spring he posted pictures of several huge flocks every week.He likes to complain about no deer but ask him how many doe his family shot the last two years.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

Potterguy

the 2008/09 deer harvest in 3A was 2.7 buck per square mile and 4.97 anterless per square mile or about 1 deer harvested for every 80 acres. I see that you indeed correct that 3A is a vast wasteland.

WV Gino
Old 03-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Banned

...Doug the projections of the gas profits are what they are. The study was done for a reason... And whether the prices projected are exactly as stated, slightly lower or slightly higher doesnt make a bit of a diff. They are sitting on one helluva windfall and thats fact.

As for the trees... You speak of the saw timber of today, but we also have PLENTY of 5 to 30 or 40 year old trees so, sorry but im not seeing the disaster.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
...Doug the projections of the gas profits are what they are. The study was done for a reason... And whether the prices projected are exactly as stated, slightly lower or slightly higher doesnt make a bit of a diff. They are sitting on one helluva windfall and thats fact.

As for the trees... You speak of the saw timber of today, but we also have PLENTY of 5 to 30 or 40 year old trees so, sorry but im not seeing the disaster.
It's way too early in the game to say how much of a windfall there will be.I agree it has the potential to be hugely significant but it's all speculation at this point.You can't base future budgets on speculation.In any event,I don't see where anyone hid anything.If and when the money starts rolling it,it can't be hidden.

You need to spend some time in the northcentral part of the state to see the devistation to the habitat.When an area get's cut,the deer would quickly eat all of the prefered regeneration and nothing but worthless junk would grow.That's a fact and that's why we can't have more deer than the habitat can support without further permanenet damage.Once again,that's proven by the exclsoures.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.