Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Nothing to say... >

Nothing to say...

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Nothing to say...

Old 03-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nothing to say...

I just wanted to see something not about PA. LOL. You poor guys up there seem rather "disenfranchised" to say the least.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Fork Horn

There is alot of disenfranchisement. And there are alot of PA hunters. Places like this is where we talk about it. We still have lots of deer in our state but they are in suburbs, backyards, developments, and anywhere that hunting isn't allowed. Our deer have adapted very well and as soon as hunting season begins they find their refuge areas. Which has made our public lands a joke for the most part. Some feel the PGC should never have attempted to lower the deer herd, others like me just feel they took it too far and need to stop now and let the deer come back a little bit.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great Post MM!!
BNB. I have a house in Sanibel FL. and spend alot of time there but I never met a hunter yet while there??? Or seen a sporting goods store that had hunting equipment other than the FT. Myers Bass Pro store and a little stuff at wal-mart., I do know a ton of fisherman (the reason I have a house there) and guys that spend all their free time in the swamp with there toys (which is fun as hell by the way) but they could care less about the deer and hogs that reside there. Pike
Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Banned

Love them feral hogs! Fun as heck to hunt, and absolutely delicious. Better than any store bought pork loin.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by moosemike
There is alot of disenfranchisement. And there are alot of PA hunters. Places like this is where we talk about it. We still have lots of deer in our state but they are in suburbs, backyards, developments, and anywhere that hunting isn't allowed. Our deer have adapted very well and as soon as hunting season begins they find their refuge areas. Which has made our public lands a joke for the most part. Some feel the PGC should never have attempted to lower the deer herd, others like me just feel they took it too far and need to stop now and let the deer come back a little bit.
Unfortunately the same scenario exists in the southern zone of NY.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only thing that the PA people need to realize is that they aren't the only state in the US in their situation. I live in Ohio. We have tons of quality deer. Problem is that we are out of places to hunt in a lot of areas. I've been hunting Ohio since the 70's...and I'm sad to say that for the past 2 years I've had nowhere to hunt. We have no public land to speak of within reasonable driving distance...and getting permission to hunt is a joke. If you do get permission...there are 100 others on the land.

A lot of states would kill to have the public land that PA has...but I do understand that you want more deer on that land. It's a 2 edged sword.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pro-Line
The only thing that the PA people need to realize is that they aren't the only state in the US in their situation. I live in Ohio. We have tons of quality deer. Problem is that we are out of places to hunt in a lot of areas. I've been hunting Ohio since the 70's...and I'm sad to say that for the past 2 years I've had nowhere to hunt. We have no public land to speak of within reasonable driving distance...and getting permission to hunt is a joke. If you do get permission...there are 100 others on the land.

A lot of states would kill to have the public land that PA has...but I do understand that you want more deer on that land. It's a 2 edged sword.

That seems to be the way it goes. If there is nowhere to hunt there are plenty of deer.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Pa not only has millions of acres of public land to hunt it also has millions of acres of private land that is left open to hunting by it's owners...although alot of it is being leased up or posted by it's owners to save what few deer there is left on it for their own families.
If someone truly wants to hunt in Pa an is fed up with the public lands that are shot out they can join a hunting lease for a reasonble amount...normally around $200/year..not a bad price to pay when one considers that's less than the price of 1 ticket to a Steelers or Eagles game.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are still plenty of good places to hunt in PA both private and public but it's not for free. A hunter doesn't have to spend money but he does need to put in the time. Most landowners are reasonable and are inclined to say yes if asked the right way. Showing up in orange the day before the season is not the right way. In areas I already hunt with deer damage, I'll simply ask for an introduction by a landowner I presently hunt on. Hunting coyotes crows and groundhogs is always a way to open the door. Most hunters around here with no place to hunt have exactly what they've earned...nada.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's plenty of decent hunting on public land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.