Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Any sheds in the snow? >

Any sheds in the snow?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any sheds in the snow?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any sheds in the snow?

Hey just wondering if any guys are shed hunting around PA in the snow? In eastern PA here there has been deeper snow around for awhile and I have been waiting for more melting this week. Hoping it will be melted enough for this Sunday so I can go out looking.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did a little walking around mostly looking in bedding areas but had no luck with all the snow. I am also hoping most of it will be gone this weekend so I can do a lot of searchin this weekend and next week when I have spring break
Old 03-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

To much white on the ground.I've been twice in between snows no luck.This is the latest I have ever started looking.Probably gonna need a wheel barrow to bring them home when I do start looking.I read somewhere the area I live in 2A has the most bucks in PA.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Last night my sister in law hit a buck on new salem rd in fayette county pa she said it still had all its head gear.I'm gonna go look for it in the morning.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Fork Horn

I've been hearing people in the area still seeing bucks with racks, but thats not going to keep me from looking. It is supposed to get in the 50's here, that should take care of the snow. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I decided that the snow had melted enough to take Mojo out for his first shed hunt last Sunday. We arrived at 1:50 PM. and started walking up the steep hill and into a large cedar thicket, there was a lot more snow than I thought there would be, varying between 6-12 inches with some bare spots under the cedars. We immediately got into deer trails and deer droppings and we started following one of the well used trails. Not even 150 yards from the truck I look at a bare spot about 18 yards to my left and I see a nice shed laying there, then I look 4-5 feet from it and I see another shed laying on the ground. I decided to stay put and let Mojo work the area until he finds them (even if it takes 3 hours) I then tell Mojo to find the bone as he is sniffing every deer track etc. and after 10 minutes or so he finds the larger shed ( a real nice 6-pt shed) he seemed as shocked as I was to find it laying there and just stood there for a minute, then he laid down and started chewing it and I told him to bring me the bone, which he did, I put on a rubber glove and took it and placed it in my back pack, then gave him a huge hug and a treat. After a couple minutes I was able to coax him to forget about the shed we found and he started to search again in the area of the first shed, after another minute or so he discovered the 2nd shed ( a 2-pt shed) and stood there like he was puzzled again, I then said bring me the bone, he picked it up and took off running with it this time instead of bringing it to me :grin: so I had to catch him to get it away from him and gave him another hug and another treat as he tried to get in my back pack laying on the ground. I was able to finally get him going back to searching but we didn't find any more sheds, just way too much snow and by 3:30 PM. he was plum tuckered out. Below are pics of our awesome afternoon. Pike

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was able to get out for a couple hours on Tuesday eve. with Mojo for our 2nd shed hunt and ended up finding one 3-pt shed and unfortunately a dead 1.5 year old buck. When I saw the shed laying there I told Mojo to find the bone and it took him about 5 minutes to locate it.
Most of the snow should be gone by this weekend and I cant wait to get back out! Pike

Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice pictures and finds pike, looks like you got yourself a great companion there. I saw these posted on another site but didnt know that it was you. we still got a lot of snow up by me but im just itching to get out and find some sheds
Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Nice pics Pike, they gave me a little preview, of what to look for tomorrow.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also enjoyed Pikes pics and i wish that black lab was mine. I've been in the woods 6-7 days a week for the past 2 months and I am lucky if I see fresh tracks, no less finding sheds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.