Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article >

More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article

Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Potterco
guess you don't know what a groundhog looks like either...duh woodchucks live in woods too...you might want to stick to shooting squirrels...you know what they look like don't you...little gray 4 footed critter with big bushy tails...live everywhere even in your "big woods"..BTW I'd like to see your big woods...probably nothing more than a city park...hey buy yourself a bag of peanuts and go sit on your blind (park bench)...right after you offer that candy to the little girls you can toss out the nuts...shouldn't be too long before some big woods critters show up!
Yep,lot's of woodchucks in the woods.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

POtter, i actually thnk the opposite about Doug's hunting skills. While I disagree heartily with anyone killing high numbers of doe each year, in defense of his skillset, he finds and kills them on public land, many of them with a bow, and in the WMU with the lowest DD in the state. I think he's probably a exceptionally skilled hunter, which translates to his unwillingness to believe that everyone else can't find many deer in the same places. JM2C
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowhunter2117
Doug is not that bad of a guy he comes across at times as some alpha hunter but that’s just Doug. Over the years we have had some heated discussions but in the end he has his views and I have mine. Will we ever agree NO! but I do respect him for standing up for what he believes in and mutual respect is shown on both sides when we are discussing deer
No offence Mike but I definately don't claim to be an alpha hunter.I don't shoot yearlings but I'm far from a trophy hunter.I'm a regular person with average skills and less time to hunt than most.I do find and kill deer on a consistant basis on public land in 2G but I don't do anything special.Most deer that I kill aren't all that far back in but I do hunt where I know deer should be be and sometimes the access may be thick or steep.I also rarely hunt the same spots from year to year because conditions and food sources change constantly up here.I don't think it's hard at all to be successful in this part of the state and I scratch my head wondering what all the complaining is about.If I can do it,anyone can.I also fully understand why we needed less deer around here.The habitat is crap for the most part and it wasn't going to get any better unless we drastically reduced the herd.Hunting is tougher today for alot of reasons but I fail to see it as the doom and gloom so many project.That sure as hell doesn't make me an alpha hunter.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
POtter, i actually thnk the opposite about Doug's hunting skills. While I disagree heartily with anyone killing high numbers of doe each year, in defense of his skillset, he finds and kills them on public land, many of them with a bow, and in the WMU with the lowest DD in the state. I think he's probably a exceptionally skilled hunter, which translates to his unwillingness to believe that everyone else can't find many deer in the same places. JM2C
I know quite a few hunters that consistantly kill much bigger bucks than I do on a consistant basis around here.Most of these guys you never hear about because they aren't complaining.I don't have a fraction of the skils or patience these guys have.It isn't about skill at all.It's nothing more than a simple undertsanding of what deer need at different times of the fall.That's all tied to habitat and food sources.Once I learned some basic facts about that,it became easy to write off many areas and focus on the areas that have what deer are looking for.There are no special skills for that.I hunt strictly saturdays with the exception of the first day of deer season and maybe one or two extra afternoons during archery season.I've seen some of my favorite areas go down the tubes just like ole RB is complaining about.It's easy to evaluate why in most cases and find better places to hunt.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:20 AM
Fork Horn

ain't got no use for doe killers matters little where they hunt..got even less use for meat mongers whom can't possibly use all they kill but just don't know when to quit...then try to excuse away their greed by slinging that old habitat line around..don't want any "mutal respect" from them either 'cause I'll never lower myself to their level of greed!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doug is not that bad of a guy he comes across at times as some alpha hunter but that’s just Doug. Over the years we have had some heated discussions but in the end he has his views and I have mine. Will we ever agree NO! but I do respect him for standing up for what he believes in and mutual respect is shown on both sides when we are discussing deer
No he is not!! I have discussed things with Doug on HPA and here for over 10 years now and he is very knowledgeable and dedicated to our sport. He is the one that did all the work and dedicated all time to get hunters access at Treasure Lake. In my opinion TL. is (was) the model that the PGC./ hunters could use in similar deer problem developments and lands owned by the state/govt., private land owners etc. across the state to get hunters access and take care of their deer problem. Without hunter access these deer problem area's will just continue to get worse and continue to make hunters look like they are not doing their job to PA. residents who do not under stand why we are not problem and why we currently cannot solve the problem in their particular area. This is the exact reason why I called out Gal That Fishes and Dutch etc. on this very same topic on QDMA.com for trying to turn TL. into something its not. Below is the Link. Pike
http://forums.qdma.com/showthread.php?t=28340

Last edited by J Pike; 03-05-2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Whose casting insults im pointing out facts 2 years ago he posted the following advice listed below. it was published on line and in the news paper to hunters of the potter co.area the same area he now complains about. Today he feels that taking his boy there will ruin him, He feels he needs to wait till the child is 17 yet he still supports the program. He is quite fortunate he has another option for his family to keep their interest in hunting high. What about all those that don’t have his option did his advice only apply to them? How many kids have we lost in those 2 years but that was fine until HR hit his boy now the sky is falling. He advised others to be patient most have endured it a lot longer than his 2 years. Maybe if he got off the 50 acre food plot sooner he would have realized most in the area were patient. Mike his site tries to paints the rosy picture, his moderators past and present bashed, belittled and insult anyone opposed to HR, and his moderators white wash every negative pgc post by editing them. Your new there mike, in time you will see what we are talking about. So big john follow your own advice and take your boy to potter camp and be patient!!!

I'm opposed to AR which gets them even more mad over there than if you don't like HR. I'm one of those horrible people who still wishes he could shoot a forkhorn when he sees one. They debate me and don't understand why I'm not passing bucks up but no one insults me and I haven't been banned. Being opposed to AR doesn't even get me any thumbs up here much less over there. P.S. I'm not all that new over there.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

I'm opposed to anything the PGC suggests in regard to deer...let them show me one single success story the've been responsible for in the last 15 years...turkeys?? no theat was the NWTF (of which I am a member)..elk??? no that was RMEF (of which I am a member)..phesants????...no don't get me started on them cause I'm a member of PF too!
Every single success of recent times with regard to wild game came about by independant groups not the PGC..time for the PGC to outsource the deer management too!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Potterco
I'm opposed to anything the PGC suggests in regard to deer...let them show me one single success story the've been responsible for in the last 15 years...turkeys?? no theat was the NWTF (of which I am a member)..elk??? no that was RMEF (of which I am a member)..phesants????...no don't get me started on them cause I'm a member of PF too!
Every single success of recent times with regard to wild game came about by independant groups not the PGC..time for the PGC to outsource the deer management too!!!!!!!
The PGC has managed the Bear population quite well. if you like bears as much as I do that is.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Banned

"I'm opposed to AR which gets them even more mad over there than if you don't like HR."

Not even close. While some may not like you being against ar, to those that matter over there, HR is the main issue of the oned these guys are talking about. Ar has nothing to do with preventing extreme unnatural levels of biodiversity and other such nonsense, and nothing to do with losing timber profits. Both things they are clearly concerned with.

I'd also say you are fairly low key. I know all the "players" and usual combatants and only vaguely recognized your name as being a very casually posting board member, and couldnt even recall what your position is on the deer management issues. I see another member didnt recognize you from over there either... Id hardly think theyd see you as a threat to the status quo. lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.