Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article >

More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

More on the failed Pa game commission deer plan - audit article

Old 03-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowhunter2117
Doug what was his reply to your post
answer me this do you think he would still love the PGC if hr hit his food plot
He got a little huffy with several posts and even had to take a few timeouts.

I honestly don't know how he would react.I have no doubt that he fully understands the need for herd reductions.He's admitted it but he obviously doesn't like it.He made a post last year showing the dramatic improvements in the habitat as you look out from his camp.I did ask him about that and he didn't have nan answer this time.He said something to the effect that they cut 10 trees down but we both know that wasn't the reason.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the mistakes of the past have put the PGC in a spot where they had to radically reduce the deer herd. Maybe I'm wrong
You are right that you are wrong. The herd in 2G had already been reduced to the previous deer density goal by 2000 when the new plan was implemented. Reducing the herd from 15 DPSM in 2000 to 8 DPSM in 2007 resulted in a decrease in regeneration from 45% in 2005 to 38% in 2008.

If you believe it was necessary to radically reduce the herd , can you explain why it hasn't produced the predicted results?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Ok Doug ill give you that but you know as well as I that if it had been a vocal opponent of HR, heck id even say anyone other than super chick making that post he would have been ruthlessly hounded and belittled. anyone who has spent any time on that site knows those I mentioned are famous for goading folks with personal insults and attacks.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by DougE
He got a little huffy with several posts and even had to take a few timeouts.

I honestly don't know how he would react.I have no doubt that he fully understands the need for herd reductions.He's admitted it but he obviously doesn't like it.He made a post last year showing the dramatic improvements in the habitat as you look out from his camp.I did ask him about that and he didn't have nan answer this time.He said something to the effect that they cut 10 trees down but we both know that wasn't the reason.
From reading his post ill guarantee you his support and understanding extends only as far as his and his families ability to see ample deer. Take away those deer on the 50 acre food plot and you will take away his support
Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

From reading his post ill guarantee you his support and understanding extends only as far as his and his families ability to see ample deer. Take away those deer on the 50 acre food plot and you will take away his support

I shot you a pm.I hope it makes sense.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 5 yr. average regeneration in 2G decreased from 45% in 2005 to 38% in 2008. In order for that to happen, less that 25% of the plots sampled in 2008 had adequate regeneration. Based on that fact , the forest health in 2G will be rated as good only if and when there are no deer left to browse the oaks.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Spike

HPA what can ya say good about that place not much as far as being able to post your experiences deer hunting your area of PA if they happen to be contrary to herd reduction. Look at old chicken kickers post about his poor Potter camp if anyone that opposed the PGC were to post that the die hard boot lickers like Dutch, GTF Greene County Tom, mutt or Denny would have been all over him to go where the deer are in potter county or to scout more or hunt deeper and that cant be disputed! Yes old chicken kicker fell short of totally condemning the PGC for their mismanagement but that only because of his 50 acre food plot where his neighbors don’t shoot doe while he dmaps his land. I think his views would change drastically if those same neighbors suddenly put a hurting on his local hot spot. Now for those here that seem to have a fondness for old chicken kickers site why didn’t any of you post telling him how necessary the kill was or to just get over it and hunt where the deer are in potter county or hunt deeper keep smiling boys hr will catch up with you soon enough just ask old chicken kicker over on good old HPA

everything has it's problems but i do nothing but post whatever i feel at any time and regardless of who might or might not like it. the only timeout i have ever served was due to cussing and the post was basically about nothing at all.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some things are impossible

I think many complainers in PA will never be satisfied with the deer count or deer plan, as long as there are not more than 35 deer, on every square mile of land.

The high deer harvest of recent years didn't mean that they would continually be increased. Deer reductions require less deer in succeeding hunts.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Spike

I've been reading all these posts for a while now. For the guys that think the pgc have not screwed up pa for a long time I have some questions. How are kids supposed to stay interested in hunting when there is next to no game to show them. I've been hunting 20 years and have shot alot of deer. I'm not a lazy hunter and I like to think I know what I'm doing. I will spend days not seeing a blessed deer in 4D where I hunt. I walk miles into the mountains with my family and friends with not much luck. I sit for hours in the summer trying to scout for deer. My point being if you guys were 12 years old and just starting out would you have stuck with it? We never saw deer dying of starvation back in the good days, but that what the pgc told me was happening. We have reduced the heard so much that when we push mountains for bear, we dont kick out a single deer. How am I supposed to get my children interested when I spend a week of hard hunting and maybe see a tail. You guys need to open your eyes and start thinking of the future of our sport before its gone!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
I think many complainers in PA will never be satisfied with the deer count or deer plan, as long as there are not more than 35 deer, on every square mile of land.

The high deer harvest of recent years didn't mean that they would continually be increased. Deer reductions require less deer in succeeding hunts.

We never had 35 DPSM on every SM of land, if we did we would have had 15.75 M deer instead of 1.6M deer.

Nobody expected the harvests to continually increase ,but there is no reason why the herd had to be cut by over 40%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.