Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
More Fed Up PA Hunters - Pa Game Commission disapproval >

More Fed Up PA Hunters - Pa Game Commission disapproval

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

More Fed Up PA Hunters - Pa Game Commission disapproval

Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Banned

Default More Fed Up PA Hunters - Pa Game Commission disapproval

http://www.heraldstandard.com/news_d...anagement.html

Just found this...More happy hunters thanks to PGC's fine deer program. Letters to the editor from a Southwestern Pa newspaper....And no btb, none of them are mine. lmao.

Letters to Outdoors

I am split on the current deer management in Pa.
I do believe antler restrictions are working, and I do support this practice. I do feel that Jr. as well as Sr. license holders should be exempt form this practice.
On the other hand the doe kill in many areas has to be reduced. If they want to lower the herd in city areas, so be it, but our mountainous are in need of action. We do most of our rifle hunting in area 2-F, and there isn't many deer in this area.
It is hard to keep our youth interested when they might sit for days in cold damp weather and not see a deer. It is my feeling the commissioners return doe season to the week after antlered season as it used to be or at least limit it to the last Saturday of the antlered season. This would still allow sportsmen and women the chance to hunt antlerless deer without using an additional vacation day or missing another day of school.
Kevin Burgess

Talk to some older hunters, say 67-up. They have hunted deer all their lives, but now must give it up. Why? Because they can no longer count points.
These individuals paid their dues for years. They bought not only their license, but guns, ammo and gear.
Tell me why a senior hunter should not be afforded the same as a junior. These people made hunting possible for many of us. Now they are cast aside.
Ed Stanish Jr.

You have heard many opinions on our current deer situation here in Pa.
I would like to share with you my opinions and first-hand experiences.
At 62 years old I have spent ever moment possible outdoors.
Being raised on a farm, I have also gained vast knowledge of animals. To produce quality livestock, you must have good genetics, feed and care.
The same holds true with the deer. As we harvest these "trophy" bucks, did you ever consider what is left to breed our does? As we harvest these big does, what is left here?
In my opinion this is where we are failing. To get the best, you breed the best. This is where we are going backwards.
I saw 10 different bucks this past deer season. None had the required four points to a side, which is required in our WMU. Six of these are at least 4 1/2-year-old animals. They will never be the "trophy" bucks we are led to believe they will be.
Maybe we should shift the other direction and go 3 points and down. Also, harvest the smaller does, and let the large hearty ones do wheat they were meant to do - produce large healthy twins, even on occasion triplets, which will grow, learn and resist many natural and man-made obstacles.
My only degree is 62 years of knowledge, observation and common sense. Just think about it.
It's scary what the future of deer hunting is this state is headed for. Somewhere, someone had better wake up.
Ed Stanish Jr.

I believe that archery season should be shortened in Pennsylvania and that there should be a one-day doe season with the early doe season being totally eliminated.
Does are decreasing at a dangerous rate, and too many young bucks are being killed, while in turn lessens the buck population when they have a chance to mature to legal bucks.
The point restriction should be totally eliminated because the chance of seeing a legal buck in the woods today is becoming slimmer and slimmer after every season. Something need to be done and it needs to be done fast.
A concerned hunter

I have to agree with many hunters that deer hunting in this state is done poorly. I think guys ate 62 and up should be able to shoot a buck of any size. Most of them hunted all their lives and should be rewarded for that.
As for antler restrictions, I do like the idea. I have seen some bigger bucks and think if you let the smaller bucks go they will get bigger in time. But, if the PGC continues with the doe hunting policy as it is, what's the use of antler restrictions. If you don't have the does around to breed, the less bucks we'll see anyway.
As for the notion of forest regeneration and the damage deer do, I believe lumber companies do more damage in one week than deer do all year to our forests in Pa.
I think the PGC, for whatever reason (politics, money, fear), favor the timber industry and the auto insurance industry over the hunters in the state.
Why would the PGC ignore those who provide the money to manage our great sport and have the most information from being out in the field is beyond me?

I have hunted all my life and every yea I bow hunt and rifle hunt more than most people and have seen fewer deer, especially doe, this year.
The deer population is declining to the PGC's wishes. We should look in the mirror as to why we let it happen.
Mike Zekir

I'm in favor of the old way - two-week buck season and two-day doe season.
As it is now you can kill a doe form the beginning of October into January, and it's not only the does being killed, it's our future bucks (the button bucks).
At one time in my life, I could count between 30 and 50 deer the first day. I haven't seen that many deer in the last five years. I'm talking in the Quebec Area.
Donald J. Strauser

There is absolutely no reason for two week of doe season, none whatsoever.
Another thing is Red Tag hunting areas are ridiculous. Anyone going out there in July and August and then letting them lay should be ashamed of themselves.
Another thing is why wasn't the sickness that killed so many deer last year even brought up this year? What a hoax.
I'm not so worried for myself. I'm nearly 60 years old, but the kids coming of hunting age now are the ones I feel bad for because if something isn't done real soon, they will never know deer hunting the way we did.
Ron Janosik

We need to go back to the old ways. I am 44 years old and was raised on deer hunting.
My dad is 64 and only saw two deer last season. Neither of us took a deer, and he is thinking about giving it up.
That really ticks me off.
Melvin Landman Jr.

Since 1951, I got a deer every year (26) in Elk Co., then Greene Co., and the last few years Redstone and Menallen Twps. In '03 I got my last buck.
This year I waited for the last three days of (early) muzzleloader week. I never saw a doe in three days. Then I never saw one in deer season that gave me a shot.
I hunt with two seniors, one from Monessen and one from Belle Vernon. They purchased 2B tags, where they could hunt until Jan. 23. They struck out also.
Monday I'm going to Chalk Hill. An old senior bagged two in West Virginia. He has venison he will share with me. It's shameful.
Edward P. Grena

First of all I would like to thank everyone that is willing to take a stand against the PGC. Enough is enough.
As someone who takes great pride in being a hunter, I want to say how totally disgusted I am with the PGC.
I know a lot of hunters who decided not to shoot a doe this year, even though they could really use the meat. Unfortunately, there are many others that continue to buy as many tags as they can and slaughter everything that moves.
This is not hunting; it is extermination. If we continue to allow a seemingly endless season and limit for does, deer hunting in PA will soon be a memory.
Chuck Pecsko III

I'm 68 years old and have been hunting PA deer for 56 years except for a tour with the U.S. Marines and the U.S. Army - two tours in Vietnam.
Deer hunting is Fayette County is no more. The last seven or eight years of the PGC "to do" list has killed them all. I spend a lot of time in the woods all year. My eyes are bad, and they tell me and all us told timers to count the points. Not on a good day.
We need to go back to the way it was. Clean out the PGC and start over. Let them count the days.
Robert Mazurik Jr.

How can these people keep doing this to Pa. hunters?
William A Marva

I have been hunting all my life. I'm 70 years old.
I could not agree more with Mr. Dice, and the quickest way to get their attention is to contact your state representative and cut their funding.
They are in the process of next year's budget, and the PGC is asking for more money.
Neville Brewer

I feel the Game Commission has destroyed the tradition of hunting. Killing all the does is killing our sport. Counting points is ridiculous, and where is the results of antler restriction.
We should quit buying licenses. What's wrong with having deer in the Quebec wild area? I hunt W.Va. and have a good time every year. I would rather see 10 does and go home empty handed than not see a deer for days.
Jim Rider

I been hunting for 56 years. I hunted every year except when I was in the Army. I hunted in South Carolina while in the service.
To get back to the main subject of hunting in Pa! In the early 60's around here if you saw a track you were lucky. They cut out doe season for a couple of years.
As everyone states I use to see on an average of 30 to 35 deer in the first day or so of hunting. On the first day of hunting since the doe slaughter started I saw one deer all day!
I have a few comments to make to PGC! First of all how many children under 9 actually shoot the deer. I see where some 5 and 6 year old children killed a buck and can't hold a gun. I believe mentor hunters should be at least 9 and up.
Antlerless tags cut and season changed back to what it use to be. We purchase 3 tags each year and don't use them. We buy archery and muzzle loader license and don't muzzle loader hunt to kill a doe.
As for antler restrictions I don't mind it.
As being an older hunter it is harder to see brow tines or count points.
Instead of the lumber companies , gas drilling and insurance companies run the deer herd let the hunters have some say!

Something needs done now!
VERY CONCERNED HUNTER!

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-25-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

here's my opine: when there are enough deer to warrant it killing a doe for meat is no crime..just good meat. But killing them now in north central wmus is akin to being a low life meat hunter. Sadly there will always be some low lifes in this sport of hunting, killers that just have to kill any deer just to be able to say they got theirs...you all know the type I'm talking about..
BTW doe killers and Democrats are the lowest form of life known to mankind!!!!
Old 02-25-2010, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

>Sadly there will always be some low lifes in this sport of hunting, killers that just have to kill any deer just to be able to say they got theirs...you all know the type I'm talking about..

Do you often refer to fellow law abiding sportspeople as "low life killers"?

WV Gino
Old 02-25-2010, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

So anyone that kills a doe is the lowest form of life known to mankind? i am sure you have killed a doe in your life, meaning your talking about yourself as well. In some areas does need to be killed so you cant go and say doe killers are low lifes.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Potterco
here's my opine: when there are enough deer to warrant it killing a doe for meat is no crime..just good meat. But killing them now in north central wmus is akin to being a low life meat hunter. Sadly there will always be some low lifes in this sport of hunting, killers that just have to kill any deer just to be able to say they got theirs...you all know the type I'm talking about..
BTW doe killers and Democrats are the lowest form of life known to mankind!!!!
I quoted myself so the 'Doecratic' of the board could reread the entire post

***edited to add nonresidents to the mix..you can insert it wherever you wish

Last edited by Potterco; 02-26-2010 at 02:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

And that my friends...is exactly how irresponsible, unethical, selfish management comes about. "if you kill a doe you're the lowest form of mankind." I try and take everyone seriously...but jeez you're not making it easy for me.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed 12 doe and two bucks the last two years in 2G.I don't feel any guilt about it and I really don't care what Potterco thinks.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 AM
Banned

You've made it clear for some time now doug, you dont care what anyone thinks other than dcnr forestry.

I sincerely wonder if maybe youd care a bit more if it werent for a few more bucks income from having less deer auto claims for your insurance business?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

If something directly affects a persons livelihood and financial well-being, why should that not be taken into consideration on their part? If a farmer is losing 20% annual yield to deer should his voice not be heard?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Banned

Absolutely Glew. But doug says regularly that his "livelihood" doesnt even come into play in his decision making or support of the deer plan.

He basically says its not that, its that he supports the noble mission of improving the habitat & is happy with the great hunting in the lowest dd unit in the state.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.