Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PGC Policy and deer contraceptives >

PGC Policy and deer contraceptives

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PGC Policy and deer contraceptives

Old 02-25-2010, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default PGC Policy and deer contraceptives

There's been quite a bit of speculation and misinformation here and elsewhere about the PGC's position on deer contraceptives recently approved by the FDA known as GonaCon or GnRH

An article in the Feb 26 Pa Outdoor news page 3 clears up quite a bit........

Some direct quotes from that article...........

"GonaCon will never be used by the Game Commission so long as I am director" Carl Roe

"The agency very much prefers hunting to be used as a deer control mechanismon private and public land. GonaCon is not yet registered in our state, but if it is, it might be part of a deer-control plan submitted to the game commission by a private housing development in an urban area. They are going to have to pay for it but we need to have a plan to deal with it" Cal DuBrock

"Those guidelines would require that the municipality first exhaust all other options to reduce deer-humans conflicts including lethat and non lethal means before the agency would consider approving the use of GnRH" Carl Roe

Here's some of the the wording officially entered into the PGC policy manual......

"Where safe and appropriate, hunting always is the primary method used to manage wildlife populations in all environments"

"Fertility-control agents are only to be used in conjunction with hunting and other wildlife-management methods because contraception alone cannot reduce wildlife populationsto healthy or socially acceptable levels"

It's perfectly clear that the PGC is merely getting out in front of the inevitable and adopting a clear pre-emptive policy to always put hunting first.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM
Banned

Very misleading post. This has been addressed and pgc's prouse policy basically says it all. Roe can lie all he likes, but fact is, he supported the policy being "pro-use" as opposed to "no use" which they very clearly couldve and shouldve done.

But no, they said it would be another "tool" in the "toolbox". And they are already structuring plans for its use in urban/suburban deer managment plans.

Carls damage control is no different with this than it was when he downplayed and lied constantly about the HUGE marcellus windfall thats now been proven by the legislative budget & finance committee, and also no different than all the lies that have been told and proven in regards to the miserably failed deer program.

This is nothing more than beating a dead horse. The deal is done. One more bit of anti-hunter sentiment showing through at pgc.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Banned

"GonaCon will never be used by the Game Commission so long as I am director" Carl Roe"

Not BY the game commission! They simply have adopted a policy that they can and will APPROVE its use by others! That was the plan all along! lmao. Unreal.

I understand audubon and antihunter groups are absolutely salivating over this.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

The post was neither misleading nor beating a dead horse.

The facts are simple

The PGC will not be using Gonacon.

Hunting will always be the first wildlife control method utilized.

The direct quotes in the original post should make that crystal clear.

I'm curious, Corn, do you have a link or a quote to support your "tool in the toolbox" claim? Who, exactly, said that and where did you get information that the PGC is formulating plans for it's use?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Banned

Nice twists on words that completely circumvent the issue and the things that matter most.

Pgc DOES have a PROUSE policy regardless of who it is they permit to USE it. They could have implemented a strict hunter friendly NOUSE POLICY but refused to do so.

We also already KNOW how GREAT they are in considering HUNTING , and hunters well being in their management scheme, and we all know we can really TRUST those guys with such a tool when they CANNOT be trusted with those they ALREADY have in doe allocations and dmap.

I think that pretty much filled in all the big holes you left in your summary.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-25-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Nice twists on words that completely circumvent the issue and the things that matter most.

Pgc DOES have a PROUSE policy regardless of who it is they permit to USE it. They could have implemented a strict hunter friendly NOUSE POLICY but refused to do so.

We also already KNOW how GREAT they are in considering HUNTING , and hunters well being in their management scheme, and we all know we can really TRUST those guys with such a tool when they CANNOT be trusted with those they ALREADY have in doe allocations and dmap.

I think that pretty much filled in all the big holes you left in your summary.

To me words like WILL NOT and ALWAYS leave no holes nor wiggle room but maybe if you told us who you are talking about when you told us "They said" "another tool in the toolbox" we'd understand the confusion.

Where did you see it? Do you have a link or was it printed? If so, Where?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Banned

The comment "just another tool in the toolbox" was made at the January meeting. Ive also read it in print but aint spending all evening looking for it. If youd like to look it up and for some reason think that your evaluation will somehow make pgcs pro-use policy more acceptable....I contend its not possible, but do as you please.

Pgc has a pro-use policy. I do not support that. AT ALL. While they may refer to it as just another tool in the toobox, i call it more bullsquare from a VERY nonhunter friendly agency.

This is not a hunter friendly issue no matter how you try to spin it. And its a nonhunter friendly action being taken by a commission that has been known for that more and more each year that goes by. Just when you think things cant possibly get any more ridiculous at pgc where deer management is concerned, they go above and beyond.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Pgcs job wont be administering gonacon. It will be allowing its use by others in our state.

No better than a woman who conspires and gest someone to shoot her lovers wife. The woman didnt pull the trigger. Shes completely innocent right? lmao. Just like with pgc needing to grant permission....it wouldnt have happened without her involvement.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-25-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

>It will be allowing its use by others in our state.

SO?

And this is different than a farmer spot lighting a deer in his fields inthe summer and tossing them over a hillside? or borough cops riding around with silenced rifles popping deer after the late seasons are done?

Both are present day realities.

WV Gino
Old 02-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

"SO?"
So the point was and is, as it pertains to Btb and my conversation that if you dont support it, it doesnt really matter who the heck administers the shot. And pgc has decided on a prouse policy. I dont support it. Its an antihunter hotbutton topic and for good reason.

And this is different than a farmer spot lighting a deer in his fields inthe summer and tossing them over a hillside? or borough cops riding around with silenced rifles popping deer after the late seasons are done?
Sounds better me. If thats whats necessary... kill the deer and get them outta there. Shooting deer is an effective widely accepted method. Deer are usually given to programs to feed the hungry too. And if farmers are throwing deer over the hill, then arent they are breaking the law...and even if they werent, itd STILL be a better option imho than "contraception" which shouldnt even be an option.

I see shooting as far better option than pumping them full of some nasty concoction and have them roaming about with big orange spots painted on their sides. lmao. Just because pgc wants to cater to ANTI hunters demands. There is no need for contraception period. And it brings with it VERY ugly potential.

And thats just one issue. Another could be accurately pointed that pgc is VERY hunter nonfriendly as are their cohorts at dcnr. Their acceptance of this crap only shows this yet again. They cant be trusted with this option. And there is NOTHING that will stop its expansion of use thanks to the foot now being in the door. The delivery methods are being refined and the cost is being lessened. Absolutely nothing good will come of this from here on out yet there is GREAT potential maleffect to us and our sport and thats a fact. I also dont see this as good pr for pgc. More like INSANE. .

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-25-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.