Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow >

Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow

Old 02-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow

Hope everyone is praying for warmup/ melt-off in the near future...the deer are having a pretty tough go in my area (5B).

Old 02-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Amazing how strong and smart they can be. In my area I drive along a creek bottom with flowing water and almost every day i see 1/2 dozen down there eating whatever along the banks standing in the water. They walk a long way through the water until they climb through the snow. Now their runs are really wide open.

Went to a favorite hunting spot and was following a well plowed run and the deer used a plowed dirt road for at least 100 yards to get from one field to another.

With these warmer days I don't think we will see any winter kill. Lord knows in PA we can't spare a single deer. Watch out if we get 2 weeks of single digit weather. That would be a problem.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 AM
Fork Horn

I think today is the turn around day where we start to see some good melt, at least I hope so.

There is no doubt that it's going to cull some late fawns and weak deer, no doubt.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

lmao..thats funny..never seen that before. good pic..how far ya think they went in that?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have been breaking trails w/ quads and snowmobiles. Laying out hay, suprising how quickly they start traveling on those trails, like w/in 4-5 hours. Try not to cross back into them as we are breaking them in as it spooks em'.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's an old picture that's been circulating for several years.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:04 AM
Typical Buck

I dunno...My buddy said his best friend took the pic in his yard earlier this week. Could be, I guess...but either way this is what we got here for those in other parts of the state. Very little melting so far. have over 30 inches on average still in the back yard. If I'd had my camera last week I could have taken a very similar pic showing nine doe up to their chins going across my field.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM
Typical Buck

The runs look like a 2 foot wide snowplow went through in my area.

We had well over 30 inches.

Deer stayed put for a couple days now they are making significant trails.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

That picture has been making the rounds but it is a good portrayal of what we got.

In my area of 5C, we got two 24" storms in 4 days. That's 4 feet in 4 days!!!!

In 3B, up north, there's only a foot on the ground. That's good because they also have the bitter cold to deal with up on the mountain.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

And the PGC is glad,that deer might starve.
Takes the heat off their backs for a while for terminating the deer. What they should be doing is air lifting food to the deer instead of sitting in their warm office smerking. I have put out over 2000 lbs of feed this month on 54 acres and the deer are doing great. I have another 2000 lbs ordered for march.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.