Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow >

Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Deer Struggling In The Deep Snow

Old 02-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep that picture has been around for a while but it is realistic for the current conditions.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, that pic has been around for a couple of years now anyways... Also a few pics of a moose that had gotten shoveled out of the snow as well. The bad thing about the moose was it had to be put down as it was buried to long before geing discovered..
But none the less the heavey deer populations you folks have down that way is likely to be thinned out at least for a little bit any ways..
Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

we were supposed to get two killer storms here near Albany, NY, but all we got was about 3 inches in either, which is burning off now. The only thing keeping it here is the wind chill. Anyway, I have seen alot of deer in the fields during the day, and even more close to dark.
BigBuck95
Old 02-19-2010, 01:33 AM
Spike

Do you think there would be a larger % survival rate if there was more deer working together in larger yards compared to HR and bad winters? Also predators have a better chance of killing off smaller groups of deer than they would in larger groups working together. Just a thought.

Instead of 6 people try to plow thru snow while walking 12 would be better and less tiresome.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Tony_Loyd
Do you think there would be a larger % survival rate if there was more deer working together in larger yards compared to HR and bad winters? Also predators have a better chance of killing off smaller groups of deer than they would in larger groups working together. Just a thought.

Instead of 6 people try to plow thru snow while walking 12 would be better and less tiresome.
Sorry but it doesn't work that way..When deer are confined to using trails they are bunched up. This makes it easier for predators to prey on them.. I had a pic on here quite a while back where coyotes wiped out an intire deer yard. That place has not recovered yet from it. They circled and forced the deer to run. The deer normaly runs to water to escape them. Unfortunately the water was frozen and coyotes distroyed them all. It is not uncommon for coyotes to circle deer yards and try to drive one out. The pack will get the one that busts from the yard. Also keep in mind a lot of deer yarded up needs more food. If there is not enough there the deer become weak and die..
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe a good strategy is a couple guys to take up post outside the deer yard and wait for them murderin' 'yotes to show up in a pack, lock and load and let 'em rip!
Old 02-19-2010, 05:38 AM
Typical Buck

cardeer.
You unfortunately are probably right.

The PGC will blame their terrible mismanagement on the storm of Feb 2010. The huge SGL around Shartlesville PA 4C will not have a problem with mortality. There are only a handful of deer left in the 10 mile stretch that I walk weekly
Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cardeeer
And the PGC is glad,that deer might starve.
Takes the heat off their backs for a while for terminating the deer. What they should be doing is air lifting food to the deer instead of sitting in their warm office smerking. I have put out over 2000 lbs of feed this month on 54 acres and the deer are doing great. I have another 2000 lbs ordered for march.
lol those are now pets lol
Old 02-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can understand the concern, but let me see if I can enlighten here abit. Being from Northern NY where snows average 3-4ft during winter months, plus some education I rec'd in college in wildlife mgmt. I've learned a little on deer survival. 1st off 30" at average is not a considerable amount of snow. Plus were over halfway through the winter. Deer are very adaptable creatures to our environment and mother nature. In times of deeper snows deer will be able to reach browse higher up than normal. They will travel to food sources via the easiest routes if able. If snow depths prevent travel deer will yard up in a area of protection, water, and avail food. Colder temps are only a concern when run for long periods of time, and water sources freeze up solid such as running streams. Feeding deer low nutritional foods such as hay can only do more harm than good as deer will use up energy, and fat reserves to feed on it with little useful return. If supplemental feeding is used (where legal) it should be of nutritional value, and used all winter. Only used for a few wks also will do deer very little good as different food sources need time to be beneficial in a deers system. Warming temps doesn't mean deer are out of the woods. In fact March can be the worst of times for a deer herd during a harsh winter. Reason being as temps warm deer use more energy to get around, and winter browse is running out.
So to be honest if deer are not experiencing a full winter hardship, winter mortality should be minimal.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Care to tell us how turkeys will fair in this weather?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.