Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Pa deer management audit whitewash as expected >

Pa deer management audit whitewash as expected

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Pa deer management audit whitewash as expected

Old 02-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

heck with that much cash on hand an the PGC's pechant for wasting it they should be able to cover their "administrative costs"
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
They might not need to worry about squeezing a few more dimes out of us for long!!!!....

Here are some highlights from this newly released report done by the Pa legislative budget & finance committee!!!

PGC SGL #12 and #36, containing a combined 43,466 acres, appear to represent the most
valuable PGC property. Should these two parcels lease at the level of recent transactions, the
signing bonus would be over $249 million. Assuming a royalty rate of 20%, these lands could
eventually net the PGC $1.07 billion above and beyond the signing bonus (given $4/1000 cfe gas).

SGL #13 and SGL #57 consist of a combined 95,021 acres in parts of Luzerne, Sullivan, and
Wyoming Counties. This is by far the largest nearly contiguous acreage in the PGC portfolio and
much, if not all of it, is prospective for Marcellus gas. It is reasonable to suggest that SGL #13 and
#57, which is double the size of SGL #12 and #36, may well realize twice the revenue as the
former.

http://lbfc.legis.state.pa.us/reports/2010/42.PDF

Carl Roe replied that in that region they only hold 24% of the gas rights. Thats still 24% of over 3 BILLION dollars estimated! Which is well over $700,000,000!!!! And could concieveably be higher!! + a portion of that 249 million signing bonus spoken of!

And thats in just one part of the state!!
The PGC had done their best to keep the lid on figures like this, and also explains their firm opposal to those proceeds going into the state general treasury for redistribution. There are some mighty fat Benjamin's to be made here, and they know it. Hard to down play $700 Mill from one corner of the state and only two SGL. I don't think those funds should necessarily go to tfe general state fund, but have a hard time grasping their continued push for funding increases, and constant complaining about under budgeted programs. I also have little concern over damage incurred during the mining process. Studies have shown the gases can be extracted with minor disturbance to local ecosystems. But hey, I'm also a huge proponent of drilling for our own oil as well. I'm sure the eco weenies will opose it, but maybe that could potentially drive a much needed wedge between them and the BOC...maybe get 'em out from under their desks for a while.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

get whom out from under the BOC's desk ? The eco weenies that have been wooing the BOC to kill a deer save a tree?
Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Man I donno what to think ss. Those figures also have upside potential for that area. And considering how many other areas in the Marcellus zone there are gamelands... wow.

Certainly enough to promote their supposedly "expensive" birth control policy.

Heck they could maybe drive all the deer out of Pa into neighboring states and just fence the whole darn border off. lol

Cant be sure how this will effect us, but im not expecting good things.

The ONLY reasonable possibility I could ever see coming of this is it being a wake-up call to legislators whove seen they cannot be trusted and something like pgc restructuring takes place.

Not only is current management a disgraceful joke, but they also lie continually, most recent, roe when lying to the public and oversight committees previously when addressing this potential HUGE windfall.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

The audit states that the PGC is using just 495 plots to monitor forest regeneration and only 20% of those plots are monitored yearly. That means the PGC is basing the antlerless allocations based on less than 100 plots of forest land that are .25A in size. So the PGC is managing our herd based on the results from 25 acres of forested out of the 27,000 SM of forested land in PA.

then we have this quote from the audit which presents a sad out look for the future of deer hunting.

"" This consistent regulatory approach has been effective,but it may take 15-20 years to balance deer numbers with habitat and achieve the goal of good forest health in all WMUs."
Therefore hunters can't expect to see any increase in the herd for 15-20 years"
Old 02-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

From Wmi LOL:
Although most states have had a period
of time when deer management goals, practices or
decisions were controversial, Pennsylvania is unique
in that the period of controversy seems to have
never waned.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

I need to read over it first before I form any real opinions. I was over at the greenie wheenie board though and saw that they were gushing with joy about the findings. Based on that observation, I can't believe that their is any favorable outcome for us. Hope your optimism is well founded Bluebird.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Is that link correct Cornellius? It doesn't seem to work for me. Maybe the website is getting too many hits?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The audit states that the PGC is using just 495 plots to monitor forest regeneration and only 20% of those plots are monitored yearly. That means the PGC is basing the antlerless allocations based on less than 100 plots of forest land that are .25A in size. So the PGC is managing our herd based on the results from 25 acres of forested out of the 27,000 SM of forested land in PA.

then we have this quote from the audit which presents a sad out look for the future of deer hunting.

"" This consistent regulatory approach has been effective,but it may take 15-20 years to balance deer numbers with habitat and achieve the goal of good forest health in all WMUs."
Therefore hunters can't expect to see any increase in the herd for 15-20 years"
I don't have 15 to 20 years to wait and see. This will be the first year I'll be looking beyond PA to hunt deer. And my guess is that in that time period my son and nephews, the future of hunting in PA, will lose interest alltogether.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Im guessing the report you want to see is the deer audit Mav? In that case, go to the first post in this thread. Click the link at the bottom of my first post (not the ones at the top)....Then scroll down to "game & fisheries" section. Then click on "the deer management program of pgc".... You must click on that. Do not click on the text beside it saying "report highlights"

I cant post a direct link for some reason, although you can for some of the other reports.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-17-2010 at 06:46 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.