Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
stop complainin...start hunting >

stop complainin...start hunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

stop complainin...start hunting

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wonder where the person that started this thread went.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by fellas2
All in all, it makes for a better quality hunt for those that choose to take advantage of it no matter what weapon they use.

Once again,just your opinion.The "quality of ones hunt " is at best left up to the individual hunter to decide,not what you,I,or some one else .Just because you or I prefer the "hunting" today does not make it better than years ago.It is just an opinion and we all know about those.Not defending them,but "stump hunters" pay the same for a license as you or I and are entitled the voice their opinions for or against the current deer management programs.

Absolutely correct, Rodger. My opinion. If we get right down to it, Opinions make up 95+% of the content of this entire forum.

As for the one day stump sitter paying for a license , you are also correct in that narrow context. Never said or implied otherwise. But if were going to talk about who contributes more financially, the one day stump sitter isn't even close. A license fee once a year and the incidental money spent for an opening day weekend doesnt exactly add up to an equal contribution to our sport. Pa ranks third in the nation for hunter days (IE: one hunter in the field for one day) The way things are now, on all those days except one, every hunter has a better chance for a good hunting experience IMHO
Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by NY Bowhunter
Wonder where the person that started this thread went.

It's quite likely he's been here the whole time but using one of his more common screen names. One of the "regulars" here has already been busted by the mods with 6 "extra" screen names and that was a while ago.

BTW, I'm not talkiing about Larrybirds many names either. There are a few "stray cows" out there playing troll.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
If you had the slightest clue what you are talking about , you would know that the 1.6M figure was PS deer , not OWD. In the 1930's the habitat in just 30 counties supported 1.3 M deer and those were the counties with the lowest carrying capacities in the state. The MSY CC of the capacity of all the habitat in the state is probably well over 2M PS deer.
Ands the heard crashed not long aster that.There is no way that Pa could support 2 million deer without extensive damage to the habitat.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wasn't there a bad winter kill around that time?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter

As for the one day stump sitter paying for a license , you are also correct in that narrow context. Never said or implied otherwise. But if were going to talk about who contributes more financially, the one day stump sitter isn't even close. A license fee once a year and the incidental money spent for an opening day weekend doesnt exactly add up to an equal contribution to our sport. Pa ranks third in the nation for hunter days (IE: one hunter in the field for one day) The way things are now, on all those days except one, every hunter has a better chance for a good hunting experience IMHO
BT do you ever read the drivel you post ....who cares about "incidental money" that has nothing to do with rate hikes or deer management..the fact is: a back tag costs the same for all hunters and all those whom buy one have an equal say in the matters...the fact that you buy an archery tag & mz tag doesn't mean squat...for that matter how do YOU know the "one day stump sitting wonder" hasn't bought the same tags?
Or how do you know it's only a one day wonder whom is sitting on that stump clad in orange? YOU DON"T It seems you like to think of yourself as one of an elitist crowd that spends so much time in the field each fall an unless you personally interview each orange clad "one day stump sitter" you haven't the foffiest idea how many days he's spent there as well or for that matter if he posses a a doctorial degree in animaltology....why don't you come down off your "I'm super hunter egotist trip" and accept the fact that you have one voice that is no louder than the next sportsmen's on deer management issues????????????????????
Old 02-04-2010, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Potterco
BT do you ever read the drivel you post ....who cares about "incidental money" that has nothing to do with rate hikes or deer management..the fact is: a back tag costs the same for all hunters and all those whom buy one have an equal say in the matters...the fact that you buy an archery tag & mz tag doesn't mean squat...for that matter how do YOU know the "one day stump sitting wonder" hasn't bought the same tags?Or how do you know it's only a one day wonder whom is sitting on that stump clad in orange? YOU DON"T It seems you like to think of yourself as one of an elitist crowd that spends so much time in the field each fall an unless you personally interview each orange clad "one day stump sitter" you haven't the foffiest idea how many days he's spent there as well or for that matter if he posses a a doctorial degree in animaltology....why don't you come down off your "I'm super hunter egotist trip" and accept the fact that you have one voice that is no louder than the next sportsmen's on deer management issues????????????????????

Yep I read the drivel I post.... do you?

Who cares about "incidental money" ? Only the sporting goods stores, the gas stations, the restaurants, the motels, and all the other folks who make part of their living from hunters business.

for that matter how do YOU know the "one day stump sitting wonder" hasn't bought the same tags?
LOL! The first clue that you apparently missed was the one day
part! Why would a one day wonder buy those extra tags? Hint: he doesnt hunt those other seasons because they occur on different days! You see, that would mean he's no longer a one day stump sitter

accept the fact that you have one voice that is no louder than the next sportsmen's on deer management issues???????????????????
As for a voice, why does my opinion get you so fired up? As you said, I'm only one guy. I didnt tell you not to post your opinion. I didnt claim that my voice should override yours. As you said, I have ONE voice. I'm using that voice, be an adult about it and get over it.

why don't you come down off your "I'm super hunter egotist trip"
It seems to me that if my posts have struck you that way, you may have some issues about your own abilities. I am not any kind of super hunter. I do make it my business to learn everyhting I can about how to hunt deer. It's something i spend a lot of time at. So what? I didnt make any references to your abilities so why take it so personal?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Banned

"The way things are now, on all those days except one, every hunter has a better chance for a good hunting experience IMHO"
Not sure what youre basing that on. But the opinion of most others differ. Far less deer=less buck=less deer seen=less harvest..... doesnt = "better chance for a good hunting experience".

Not in bow season. Not the first day of rifle. Not the third day of rifle. Not the last day. Not late season. Unless "better hunting experience" equals sitting in a well stocked hobblebush patch.

Course I honestly believe, you couldnt fully realize that since where you hunt isnt the least bit effected by the plan that has screwed up the vast majority of the state. Hard to understand that when hunting on an off limits managed lease, and best parts of the season are spent in Illinois.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-04-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Banned

Also, for those speaking about disease, malnutrition etc.....disease nonthreats, malnutrition nonthreats, nor the nonthreat of the world ending in 2012.... None of these have stopped all other NORMAL states from having NORMAL responsible deer densities.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-04-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Not sure what youre basing that on. But the opinion of most others differ. Less deer=less buck=less deer seen=less harvest..... doesnt = "better chance for a good hunting experience".

Not in bow season. Not the first day of rifle. Not the third day of rifle. Not the last day. Not late season. Unless "better hunting experience" equals sitting in a well stocked hobblebush patch.

In that example I'm referring to the greatly diminished hunting pressure in the gun season , especially in the Northern tier on opening day of rifle. Instead of "game over" by Monday at dark after the "big shoot" the hunting is good all season long.

As for the opinion of "most" that is only your opinion. Your opinion and mine are based on the handfuls of folks we interact with in person and online. fact is, no statistically credible assessment has been made recently enough to know for sure. Pointing to a consensus here or on small polls is unreliable at best. The all PA site that has many many times the daily participation from PA folks says otherwise (suggest you check thoroughly before you dispute that lol) Fact is, neither source is really a reliable measure of the real sentiment oout there.

Less deer? I agree.
Too few in some small spots? also agree.
Less deer is something we needed most places

Better hunting in spite of lower numbers? I think so. Better average bucks and better average doe size and it's still easy to find em in good numbers

Better hunting in the North after the opener? You betcha! (as long as you're willing to hunt) Heck, even Larrybird tells us it's like shooting fish in a barrell in the Northwoods these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.