Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
stop complainin...start hunting >

stop complainin...start hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

stop complainin...start hunting

Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Banned

It's their job to manage them within the available habitat.
Since they arent doing a very good job of it, maybe its time they found new jobs.

"We werent managing exclusively for deer but the deer numbers we had were not allowing anything resembling a balance. The overwhelming majority of deer ma
management professionals agree"
Pa Audubon & dcnr doesnt count. They are the reason why we are where we are in the first place. I couldnt imagine seeing them not agree.

Then again, we can wait for the audit & see if former Pgc employees agrees with Pgcs policies i guess. lol.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Banned

bb says: "Wrong again. It is highly disputable that 1.6M deer took a toll on the habitat and other wildlife."
Good point bb. Its very debatable what the habitat SHOULD be like and how much biodiversity SHOULD exist. Also, The effects of poor timber practices, acid deposition, invasive vegetation etc. etc. have become big issues which take at least some of the blame from the deer herd....Then again, we could be extremists and swear that the deer are to blame for there being 3 less red breasted trillium warbler in the audubon christmas bird count, and have pgc issue 100,000 more tags statewide to account for it! lol.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-01-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

BT,

I wonder if this pendullum ever swings back the other way to the point where we don't have this extreme biodiviristy driven agenda, if you are worried that you might have to make some personal sacrifices with your hunting. I can't help but wonder if you are worried that your hunting season may be shortened or if you are worried that you might be limited to shooting only one deer. Maybe you would even be worried that you would not be able to obtain a doe license. I can not help but wonder if you might not be as concerned about the welfare of our wildlife as much as you are concerned about your selfish interest.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
So please tell us how many more hunters in 2G could be successful,year after year, if they adopted your perspective ,hunted the way you do and killed 2 or 3 doe /hunter?

I'm not arguing about the habitat or deer management practices on this thread.Is the hunting still good?Sure it is.I don't need to see loads of deer each time I hunt.Obviously many hunters expect to see loads of deer.It's a matter of perspective.I had an excellent hunting seson this year in 2G as I do most years.It isn't because I have better places to hunt than other hunters or that I'm any more skilled.I've just learned how to adapt and make the best out of it.I have no doubt that alot of hunters wouldn't find the way I hunt or the places I hunt any fun at all.My wife and I took a ride yesterday to look at some property.I showed her one of the places I walked up to hunt this year on Moshannon state forest.She was actually mad at me for making my one fat little buddy climb that ridge.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

red breasted trillium warbler
I'm a tweety bird watcher, but I never saw one of them new fangled red breasted trillium warblers. Next time you see one let me know and I will let all my Audubon friends know the location of this new species.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Doug,

What in your mind qualifies as a, "load of deer"? Or while we are at it, what qualifies as a, "ton of deer"? These are fairly vague terms. Could you be a bit more descriptive?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned

bbsays:
I'm a tweety bird watcher, but I never saw one of them new fangled red breasted trillium warblers. Next time you see one let me know and I will let all my Audubon friends know the location of this new species
Is the fact it doesnt exist due to me making it up and having a little fun here.... or is it because deer ate all their nesting habitat? hmmmm. Better jack up the allocation just to be sure. Never know. There MIGHT be one of those out there as of yet undiscovered, so why risk it when all it will take is 50% less deer than we currently have? lol.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-01-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not arguing about the habitat or deer management practices on this thread.Is the hunting still good?Sure it is.I don't need to see loads of deer each time I hunt.Obviously many hunters expect to see loads of deer.It's a matter of perspective.
How do you know many hunters expect to see loads of deer? Wouldn't the vast majority of hunters be more than satisfied if they had a shot at one or two legal deer/season? Do you really believe the majority are so inferior to you that they don't know how to hunt?
Old 02-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Maverick 1
Doug,

What in your mind qualifies as a, "load of deer"? Or while we are at it, what qualifies as a, "ton of deer"? These are fairly vague terms. Could you be a bit more descriptive?

Maybe I can help. I doubt Doug would mind since he sent me this photo.

A load of deer, in 2G BTW......

Now if they weighed over 2,000 pounds that would be a TON of deer LOL!

Last edited by JW; 02-20-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

I see about six deer over-dosed on steroids, grazed like cattle throughout the year, and over-protected on a private reserve. Is this what gives you gratification?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.