Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
stop complainin...start hunting >

stop complainin...start hunting

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

stop complainin...start hunting

Old 02-03-2010, 09:08 AM
  #141  
Giant Nontypical
 
BTBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW PA USA
Posts: 7,220
Default

Originally Posted by Maverick 1
Twenty years ago would put us at 1990. In 1990 our hunting was better than what it is today. So if we were to go back to the way things were 20 years ago, yes that would be an improvement.
Not exactly.....

20 years ago it was certainly easier to sit on any stump and and see deer. shooting the first yearling buck that came by was pretty easy too. In those days, buck monday was a shoot more than a hunt. Sightings and shooting opportunities shooting may have been more numerous 20 years ago but the hunting is much better today.

The hunting is better not only because the bucks are bigger on average but also because we have done away with the half day shootout that was buck Monday. We now have far more opportunity for hunters to really hunt the deer on their terms. Given the choice of one day where odds are excellent for shooting a deer versus several weeks where the opportunity to actually hunt for deer is still good, I'll take hunting opportunities over shooting opportunioty any time.
BTBowhunter is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 AM
  #142  
Giant Nontypical
 
BTBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW PA USA
Posts: 7,220
Default

Originally Posted by Potterco
some of you just cannot admit the habitat does not need deer densities of under 15 per sqaure mile to regenerate itself! Look at several of the mid western states whom produce some of the largest free range bucks on record some have deer densities of nearly 40 per sq mile...Look at the southern zone of Saskatchewan there it is near 75 per sq mile and still they manage to rear enough trophy bucks to appease most the horn mongers .
what the habitat does need is better management! Neither the PGC or the DNR could manage a good crap let alone the timber lands.

That comparison is basically meaningless. The average habitat in the midwest and Canadian plains is far different that the average habitat in PA
BTBowhunter is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 09:38 AM
  #143  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location:
Posts: 2,978
Default

"I'll take hunting opportunities over shooting opportunioty any time."
Then why hunt on a lease?

Why go to Illinois every year?

Because your chance of SHOOTING a nice buck are higher. With a lot less unsuccessful "huntin'" involved.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-03-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Cornelius08 is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 AM
  #144  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 171
Default

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Not exactly.....

20 years ago it was certainly easier to sit on any stump and and see deer. shooting the first yearling buck that came by was pretty easy too. In those days, buck monday was a shoot more than a hunt. Sightings and shooting opportunities shooting may have been more numerous 20 years ago but the hunting is much better today.

The hunting is better not only because the bucks are bigger on average but also because we have done away with the half day shootout that was buck Monday. We now have far more opportunity for hunters to really hunt the deer on their terms. Given the choice of one day where odds are excellent for shooting a deer versus several weeks where the opportunity to actually hunt for deer is still good, I'll take hunting opportunities over shooting opportunioty any time.
BT what you would take is a 12 week bow season and do away with the rifle season...admit it you've hinted your despise for orange clad gun toters often! fact is archers are still the minority butare the biggest whiners going!!! We want more more more
Potterco is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:42 AM
  #145  
Giant Nontypical
 
BTBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW PA USA
Posts: 7,220
Default

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Then why hunt on a lease?

Why go to Illinois every year?

Because your chance of SHOOTING a nice buck are higher. With a lot less unsuccessful "huntin'" involved.

One has nothing to do with the other. Choosing to hunt other places as well as PA doesnt change the fact that our deer hunting overall has gotten better for most of the season as a result of our getting away from the one day deer shoot.
BTBowhunter is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM
  #146  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Carbon County Pa.
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by livbucks
The only solution in his mind is to: Severely limit the doe kill, and eliminate the antler restrictions, thus farming 1.5 year old spikes and forkies by the buttload, so that 1 out of every 5 stump sitters can have their buck by 10 am on opening day.
In other words:....go back to the way it was 20 years ago.

That is the only thing that will make him happy.
Ah yes, the good old days. 7am opening day sounded like world war III. One day I heard shooting below me, 8 does run by, I would hear shooting above me. The same 8 does come running by again but one is wounded this time. Two hours goes by, nobody is on the blood trail tracking down the doe they shot because they are two busy shooting at other deer, and besides, it ran down a steep hill and would be to hard to drag out. Much easier to just shoot another one because the deer are all over the place. True story, and it still pi$$es me off when I think about it today and this was in 2000.
pats102862 is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
  #147  
Giant Nontypical
 
BTBowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: SW PA USA
Posts: 7,220
Default

Originally Posted by Potterco
BT what you would take is a 12 week bow season and do away with the rifle season...admit it you've hinted your despise for orange clad gun toters often! fact is archers are still the minority butare the biggest whiners going!!! We want more more more

Not true at all. I also hunt with a rifle. The fact that I personally prefer a bow doesnt mean I "despise" gun hunters. I hunt the early muzzzy season, gun season and the flintlock season as well. I do sometimes carry my bow even in gun season but I hunt deer by all the legal means PA has to offer.

What I dont care for is the opening day slaughter that used to be PA's trademark. Our hunting is now a much better quality experience now that the demographics have changed and pressure is far lighter on that single day leaving the deer to be hunted more on their terms. Part of it is a few less hunters. Part of it is that hunters are spread all over the state instead of being concentrated in the northern tier. Part of it is that many hunters quit much earlier in the day either by choice or because they harvested a doe. All in all, it makes for a better quality hunt for those that choose to take advantage of it no matter what weapon they use.
BTBowhunter is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 AM
  #148  
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location:
Posts: 2,978
Default

Btb says: "One has nothing to do with the other."
Sure it does. You are the one who spoke of others wanting it easier in the way of more deer and not having to hunt. Well thats exactly what you are doing by hunting a lease or headin' out to Ill. I have no problem with it. And most have no delusions about Pa becoming Illinios. But lets not be hypocritical to those who want somewhat better average hunting conditions for the state.

Choosing to hunt other places as well as PA doesnt change the fact that our deer hunting overall has gotten better for most of the season as a result of our getting away from the one day deer shoot.
I dont follow what you are getting at. Why would the hunting be better the rest of the season after the first day then it used to be...when we start out now with many less deer?

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-03-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Cornelius08 is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
  #149  
Nontypical Buck
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,262
Default

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Didn't you claim that just 3 deer can impact oak regeneration,so should that be the PGC's gaol DD?
Yes I did claim that.Unfortunately,that wouldn't be the case if we hadn't let the surrounding habitat get as bad is it was do too decades of too many deer.By the way,those 3 deer didn't ruin the habitat,they just ruined the oak regeneration.

Twenty five dpsm is a very reasonable deer density in areas where the habitat is decent .We'd have that today if the habitat wasn't alowed to get as degraded as it is in many areas.Unfortunately,we'd just as much complaining at 20-25 dpsm.Once the dd get around 20 dpsm,hunters still have alot of deerless days and claim there's no deer.

Last edited by DougE; 02-03-2010 at 11:22 AM.
DougE is offline  
Old 02-03-2010, 11:21 AM
  #150  
Fork Horn
 
fellas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 175
Default

All in all, it makes for a better quality hunt for those that choose to take advantage of it no matter what weapon they use.

Once again,just your opinion.The "quality of ones hunt " is at best left up to the individual hunter to decide,not what you,I,or some one else .Just because you or I prefer the "hunting" today does not make it better than years ago.It is just an opinion and we all know about those.Not defending them,but "stump hunters" pay the same for a license as you or I and are entitled the voice their opinions for or against the current deer management programs.
fellas2 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.