Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
stop complainin...start hunting >

stop complainin...start hunting

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

stop complainin...start hunting

Old 02-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

So once again,you're stating that there should be enough deer so that the guys who want an easy hunt should be able to kill a deer with no problem.Sorry but the hunting should be at least somewhat of a challenge.
Why did you intentionally misrepresent what I said? Was it just another lame attempt to avoid answering my question? I said nothing about wanting enough deer to make hunting easier!! I ask you how many more deer hunters could harvest on a sustainable basis if they followed your solution to reduced numbers and you refuse to answer because you know your solution is no a solution at all.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Why did you intentionally misrepresent what I said? Was it just another lame attempt to avoid answering my question? I said nothing about wanting enough deer to make hunting easier!! I ask you how many more deer hunters could harvest on a sustainable basis if they followed your solution to reduced numbers and you refuse to answer because you know your solution is no a solution at all.
I didn't misrepresent anything.But to answer your question,of course the herd couldn't take it if everyone was successful but it never could.When we used to have 1.2 million hunters,it was still a small percentage of the hunters that were consistantly successful from year to year.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Banned

"Cornie you need to make up your mind. One minute you are saying that PA is a unique situation and cannot be compared/contrasted with other states,"
My minds never wavered. Youre insinuation otherwise is nothing more than one more trolling attempt/falsehood. Most things can be compared as long as legitimate comparisons are made and guys like you dont attempt to intentionally distort the comparison by comparing apples to peanuts.

" but then you turn around and want to talk about how many deer people see in other states and hunter satisfaction compared to other states."
Sure. Because its valid. And very "telling". No reason our satisfaction shouldnt be "similar" or at the very least within the range of normal found throughout the country and even including states right next door. Dont necessarily need to be the happiest smilin'est state in the nation... But we really dont need to worry about that problem do we? lol.

"I would imagine that someone who is used to hunting fairly well pressured public ground in PA is going to see more deer if they end up hunting thru an outfitter in Pike County, Illinois or they get set up with a private land hunting trip with some buddy that has a honey hole in Indiana."
Not talkin' about extremes & hunting restricted conditions. I have many years and know many others do as well that hunt other state public lands, and unguided private, but not "regulated-restricted-managed" lands. The hunting is better elsewhere. Hands down. And thats what I was comparing. Apples to apples. Not comparing to being taken by the hand by a guide, in extreme Pike county or behind a high fence in Tx compared to our gamelands. lol. Pa is the worst hunting of any state ive hunted,and by far the the poorest deer management program of any ive hunted. Thats pathetic.

HEck I know guys who hunt only public land in Ohio... the Shawnee, Saltfork, Egypt Valley and The Wayne who swear the hunting is better there than it is on PRIVATE land here in Pa where they hunt. Course they arent just after "any buck" but they see reasonable numbers of deer, and buck quality is unreal compared to ours. Having hunted a couple of those areas myself, Id have to agree. To even mention Pa in the same paragraph with Ohio is doing a great disservice to Ohio.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 02-02-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 AM
Spike

Does anyone know how to go about getting a chefs (cooking) job on any of these outfitter sites? If so please give me a email or phone #.

Thanks,
Dustin
Old 02-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

huh??????????????
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

didn't misrepresent anything.But to answer your question,of course the herd couldn't take it if everyone was successful but it never could.When we used to have 1.2 million hunters,it was still a small percentage of the hunters that were consistantly successful from year to year
If you didn't misrepresent what I said ,copy the post where I said I wanted enough deer so we could have easy hunting.

Once again you dodged my question and misrepresented what I ask. I said nothing about everyone in 2G being successful. I ask how many additional deer hunters could harvest on a sustainable basis in 2G if they followed your advice. You won't answer because you know any significant increase in the harvest will result in a decrease in the herd and a decrease in future harvests.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
If you didn't misrepresent what I said ,copy the post where I said I wanted enough deer so we could have easy hunting.

Once again you dodged my question and misrepresented what I ask. I said nothing about everyone in 2G being successful. I ask how many additional deer hunters could harvest on a sustainable basis in 2G if they followed your advice. You won't answer because you know any significant increase in the harvest will result in a decrease in the herd and a decrease in future harvests.

OK,I'll pay that game.Copy and paste the quote where anyone from the PGC ever said the average size of 2.5 year old bucks would be bigger.

I didn't dodge anything.I scout some and I hunt areas where I know deer should be.As a result I consistantly find and kill deer in the WMU that has the lowest success rate in the state.I don't do anything special and I have way less time to hunt than most.I think the hunting is still pretty good.You claim I'm unreasonable to expect everyone else to do the same thing.I say that there's no reason everyone else can't do the same thing.It may be a little harder than it is to sit back and complain but not by much.

Sure a significantly higher kill will reduce the herd even more.That won't happen because the PGC knows that it takes more does tags to kill more deer in 2G.If people more people actually started putting in a little more effort and the success rate increased,they'd have to lower the allocations.That's never happened and it never will.Far too many hunters like yourself expect and demand an easy hunt.I don't.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for straightening me out Cornie. Note to self, comparisions across states are only legitimate if they serve to make a point for Cornie, but not if they are used by someone disputing Cornie's claims.

So we need to now accept that all these PA hunters are driving to other states to hunt on public land that is crawling with deer compared to PA public land. They aren't doing hunts with outfitters or private landowners where it would be expected that there should be more deer seen than on much of the public ground in PA. Gotcha
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DougE
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.One of the reasons hunters used to see so many deer is because there were so many hunters in the woods bumping them all over the place.Pressure increases a hunters success when there are other hunters out there.After the pressure subsides,the hunting get's tougher because the deer hole up in heavy cover.One thing we have around here that you most likely don't have to deal with is bear season the week prior to deer season.We have way more bear hunters and groups of 20+ hunters drive these areas solid for 3 strait days.I've been hunting bear there and got caught in the middle of several groups driving different hollows at the same time.Until you've had to seal with huge groups of bear hunters,you have no idea what you're talking about. The pressure during deer season is lower but it still gets pounded in many places.It just so happens,those are the last places I'd even consider hunting.Belive me,these deer don't just walk around all day without a care in the world.They lay in laurel patches and cleacuts all day unless pushed out.Since the pressure in deer seson is much lower,especially after the first day,no one moves the deer but they rarely get up and move on their own.

It is funny that you constantly complain about how poor the deer hunting is in 2G and then turn around and say it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Yes Doug there's probably more bear hunters then deer hunters.Did you ever see the reports from the bear hunters on deer sightings?Especially on HPA.Very few deer sighted with all those drives.Different from the 80,s when in bear season there were deer running everywhere.Not to mention most of the drivers are going in the thick stuff where those pressured deer are supposed to be hiding.There's simply alot less deer today and that's why hunters aren't seeing them.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

You claim I'm unreasonable to expect everyone else to do the same thing.I say that there's no reason everyone else can't do the same thing.

DougE,there is one main reason why everyone else cannot do the same thing as you do.Not all of us are fortunate enough to live and work in the same WMU as we hunt! There are plenty of hunters that live up to hundreds of miles from the area they hunt either by choice or necessity so they cannot walk out their back door or drive 20 minutes to do what you do.Many hunters still live and work in the city and have very little time to spend days in the woods scouting and most are not as fortunate as you to know these areas or get permission to hunt there.I understand that effort is needed to be sucessfull,but please don't make it sound as though it's childs play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.