Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Proposed changes for 2010-2011 seasons >

Proposed changes for 2010-2011 seasons

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Proposed changes for 2010-2011 seasons

Old 01-29-2010, 08:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default Proposed changes for 2010-2011 seasons

What are everyone's thoughts on the BOC proposed changes. I see they are proposing five day buck only in several expanded areas, including 4d. That's a much needed move in the right direction. Now hoping for an easement on antlerless tags in quite a few WMU's...but too soon to tell, and that's a long shot.. I also support the move of bear season opener to a Saturday...but I wish they would leave it run through wednesday. Kinda pointless not to- given that there is now NOTHING to do on the day before Thanksgiving!!!!! I dunno...are they finally starting to turn slowly in the right direction? Chalk up TWO positives atleast, imo for this prelim. meeting.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Banned

I remain cautiously optimistic. As opposed to completely pessimistic previously. I know boop has been trying hard for years, and I like some of what i see from a couple of others, but too soon to tell. I see the "good" sentiment with some commissioners, but it needs to go further and not just be a hollow gesture to get a fee increase.

I see no changes thus far of any worth. The season change in the wmus mentioned will not do. It only effects a low percentage of our many wmus, and It was said by pgc, previously, that if harvests declined because of it in the initial 4 wmus, that the allocations would be raised to make up the diff. anyway.

Boop acknowledges this as well, when he stated hunters would SEE more deer the first week, because of the does that wouldve been killed previously will still be there till the second week. Child psychology for we hunters nothing more.

April will tell the tale for me. If the allocations are not dropped responsibly, then that tells me they will be staying the course. There will be no better time in the near future to cut the allocations than this season. Deer herd at lowest levels yet. Hunter satisfaction low, and a fee increase being sought, and a few new faces on the boc.... If not this year, it will be a statement made by pgc. The supposed "new look" boc will be nothing more than the same ol' same ol.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-29-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:00 AM
Typical Buck

Good points, Cornelius. April will tell the story, with the antlerless allocations.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well the proposed archery bear Nov 15-19 then first day of rifle bear on Sat the 20th. Then the 22 & 23rd. Wish they would go with Sunday hunting already.
Now, I have to explain to the wife why I will be up the camp with the bow the week before Thanksgiving and staying until Wed befor Thanksgiving. (It wouldn't be too hard but her BD is the 20th).
Old 02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only one's that affect me, I hate, honestly
I hate the buck only 1st week, & now I see they are adding more units to that list.

They are taking away 2 weeks of hunting special regs between the regular gun season & christmas. WHY?

They are adding 2 weeks of archery buck to the special regs areas. Very Dumb.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Well the proposed archery bear Nov 15-19 then first day of rifle bear on Sat the 20th. Then the 22 & 23rd. Wish they would go with Sunday hunting already.
Now, I have to explain to the wife why I will be up the camp with the bow the week before Thanksgiving and staying until Wed befor Thanksgiving. (It wouldn't be too hard but her BD is the 20th).
if you are hunting bear.the archery week extension is time to come to clinton.bear baiting is happening in archery season .i hear latest one that is being used is those cover scent dryer sheets.dont know much about it , you bait bears until its illegal then use those scented dryer sheets to keep bears coming.
it is unreal how some are doing these things.who would think of this?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do the bears eat the dryer sheets? I'm confused.
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by livbucks
Do the bears eat the dryer sheets? I'm confused.
i think sheets come with different odors like apple/acorn etc.dont know much about them.they say you throw them in dryer with your hunting clothes and they come out smelling like acorn etc.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:51 AM
Typical Buck

Most common I know of is throwing your old bacon and hamburger grease on a stump. Bears chew the stump all up, just like they were rooting for bugs, and the grease is hard to get off, so they keep coming back. Hard to find unless you know what you're looking for.They eventually nailed an old timer up my way for this back in the 90's. Anyone who bags bears on their own for five consecutive years in PA is gonna attract some attention.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I think the dryer sheets would be considered a cover scent, and not bait, since the bears would have to eat you before they could eat the sheets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.