Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival >

PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival

Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default PETA proposes robotic groundhog for Pa. festival

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. An animal rights group wants organizers of Pennsylvania's Groundhog Day festival to replace Punxsutawney Phil with a robotic stand-in.
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals says it's unfair to keep the animal in captivity and subject him to the huge crowds and bright lights that accompany tens of thousands of revelers each Feb. 2 in Punxsutawney, a tiny borough about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. PETA is suggesting the use of an animatronic model.
But William Deeley, president of the Inner Circle of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, says the animal is "being treated better than the average child in Pennsylvania." The groundhog is kept in a climate-controlled environment and is inspected annually by the state Department of Agriculture.
Deeley says PETA isn't interested in Phil from Feb. 2 on, and is looking for publicity.

Thes people make me want to revise an old childhood game of, kick the can!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

they wonder why people look at them and shake thier heads!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

my great grand daughter, 12 yrs old claims she is a PETA member an supporter..I ask her just what worldly knowledge has she absorbed to make me take her and her fellow members from Jr. High seriously. She replied, all her friends are texting all the time about how crule we are to animals an are all Vegans...I wonder how fair it is to her pet cat to be cooped up 24/7 an not roam freely to hunt as it is it's nature...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

When you think about it, PETA helps us more than hurts us by pulling these whacked out publicity campaigns.

IMHO, reasonable people who dont really have mch understanding of the natural world that might otherwise be inclined to buy into some of the anti hunting propaganda see this stuff and rightfully conclude that PETA is simply a bunch of wackos!