Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
"Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting! >

"Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting!

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

"Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting!

Old 01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default "Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting!

I believe it was reported here that Jimmy the Slink predicted busloads of hunters would descend on Harrisburg yesterday to protest the past season.

They must've been the "short buses".................

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1264391709189540.xml

The meeting was over in three hours. 26 people spoke in total and about a third of that were there to speak about low deer numbers.

So a well publicized all important meeting where we were supposed to see what could easily be called a "deer management tea party" simply didnt materialize. Seems to me the representation at a state meeting tells us way more than these few internet polls with (usually) less than a hundred participants.

Boop claims hunters have given up

Hunters are seeing less deer, there's no disputing that. Most of us would enjoy seeing more deer. No disputing that either. But rather than giving up as Boop claims, maybe hunters are beginning to see why there needed to be less deer and accepting what we were told from the beginning..... less deer equals less deer.

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 01-25-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: TYPOS AND SPELLING
Old 01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Banned

People have been attending these meetings for years now, some years a few meetings, other had several with the "open houses" trying to get pgc to change things. How long do you think it takes for people to realize they are being ignored?

Representatives have taken polls. You dont need to cite internet reports or the turnout which isnt indicative of much of anything. The legislator polls showed a big MAJORITY dont support a pgc fee increase. As for the meeting, I was told it went just fine. Plenty of deer complainers. One of the reasons pgc didnt give the airtime on the webcast. Only showing the pgc testimony today.

As for turnout, good or poor, makes no diff. as most people arent gonna drive for hours from all across the state to get there, esp. After being ignored for years. Not when its much easier to correspond with people who are the only ones who can fix this. The legislators.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-25-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
People have been attending these meetings for years now, some years a few meetings, other had several with the "open houses" trying to get pgc to change things. How long do you think it takes for people to realize they are being ignored?

Representatives have taken polls. You dont need to cite internet reports or the turnout which isnt indicative of much of anything. The legislator polls showed a big MAJORITY dont support a pgc fee increase. As for the meeting, I was told it went just fine. Plenty of deer complainers. One of the reasons pgc didnt give the airtime on the webcast. Only showing the pgc testimony today.

As for turnout, good or poor, makes no diff. as most people arent gonna drive for hours from all across the state to get there, esp. After being ignored for years. Not when its much easier to correspond with people who are the only ones who can fix this. The legislators.

Part of your logic could apply if not for the fact that this is essentially a new BOC with fresh faces.

The fact that the public comment portion of first meeting after deer season had so few speakers on the subject and was over so quickly when a new BOC was there to listen is not a "no diff" situation.

When UBP attended the meeting to decide on extending archery two weeks into the rut, it was standing room only and still overflowed into the lobby and halls. The dismal showing at this meeting is definitely very telling.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Banned

"Part of your logic could apply if not for the fact that this is essentially a new BOC with fresh faces.
"

Most dont trust the commissioner selection process any more than they do the pgc themselves. As far as that goes, i'd wager by far the majority of hunters in this state couldnt even tell you who the commissioners are.

Btw, boop also said in that article he has been hearing from hunters who do not believe its worth the time & effort to show up anymore. Think that pretty much sums it up.

You also might wanna look at who wrote the article. The pro-pgc version of the slinkster. Schneck. Real well known to be unbiased source. lol

"When UBP attended the meeting to decide on extending archery two weeks into the rut, it was standing room only and still overflowed into the lobby and halls. "
Not for 8-10 years. Because thats how long THIS issue has been ongoing.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Banned

"The dismal showing at this meeting is definitely very telling. "

I agree. The people are learning who listens. The legislators, not pgc. Something i learned long before now. A lot easier to send emails, calls & letters to those people that listen. So why on earth would i go hundreds of miles simply to bang my head off the wall talking to people who have ignored us for many years now? There were meetings where not another person could fit. Besides staying the course, what was the result? lmao.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-25-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I absolutely agree that the BOC doesnt always listen to hunters. The xbow fiasco was glaring proof of that.

That doesn't mean you give up on any front. If you believe in your cause, you keep on hammering at it from all angles. In my example of the UBP and the extension of archery season, it was also a years long effort.

IMHO, the low number is more an indicator that the USP and like minded crowd is not the force you think it is and some may have indeed resigned to the idea that less deer is the right way to continue.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

"That doesn't mean you give up on any front. If you believe in your cause, you keep on hammering at it from all angles."
Oh rest assured, we are. The "hammering" is now on the legislators. Its gotten us the fee increase prevention. Whats petitioning the pgc gotten us other than ignored by the "green" thinking commission? Would be just as productive to petition audubon or peta for more deer!

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-25-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

"and some may have indeed resigned to the idea that less deer is the right way to continue. "
The internet polls. The legislator polls. The people i hear on a daily basis....

All of these beg to differ. But believe as you like. You are very close to being "alone" in your assertion that most support the failed plan. Very few, even on the highly biased hpa, aside from one or two VERY extreme types, will not use that angle when the proof is so overwhelming. The argument now is that we hunters may not support it, but we arent smart enough to challenge the experts positions, so should just sit back and shut up. lol.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter

IMHO, the low number is more an indicator that the USP and like minded crowd is not the force you think it is and some may have indeed resigned to the idea that less deer is the right way to continue.

Please explain why the PGC doesn't get its fee increase.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

>The argument now is that we hunters may not support it, but we arent smart enough to challenge the experts positions, so should just sit back and shut up. lol.

It's no more the job of the GC to make hunters happy than it is a parents job to keep their children happy.

The GC manages the wildlife resources of PA and a parent raises(manages) a child.

Child says "I don't want to go to school or brush my teeth". If it was the parents job to keep their child happy they would use their spawns input in deciding if they should make said offspring go to school and brush their teeth.

WV Gino

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.