Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
"Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting! >

"Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting!

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

"Busloads"? of angry deer hunters descend on PGC meeting!

Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

>So tell me again BTB, why would a politition refuse to allow the PGC a fee increase?

I'll take a stab. A Hunting license increase will be looked upon by those that have to pay it the same way they do a tax increase. No one likes a tax increase and voters tend to take out their displeasure over tax increases on those who voted for said increase.

Historically the GC and FC do not get license increases until the situation is desperate.
If every single hunter in PA killed a buck this past season most would still be unhappy with a license increase.

WV Gino
Old 01-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

....Oh, ok. thanks for clearing that up Gino. I guess all the hunters who say they dont support it because of the deer plan and all the legislators who say they will not support it until changes are made to the deer plan because of their, and the hunters disgust with the deer plan are all lying. lol.

Yeah. They are all tightwads. Thats all it is. lol. Guess all the supporters who whine about pgc in their distorted view, being "held hostage" or "blackmailed" because of the deer plan are all misinformed as to the reason as well. lol.

"
If every single hunter in PA killed a buck this past season most would still be unhappy with a license increase."
But if the agency could be trusted, most would understand its necessary.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-25-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WV Gino
>So tell me again BTB, why would a politition refuse to allow the PGC a fee increase?

I'll take a stab. A Hunting license increase will be looked upon by those that have to pay it the same way they do a tax increase. No one likes a tax increase and voters tend to take out their displeasure over tax increases on those who voted for said increase.

Historically the GC and FC do not get license increases until the situation is desperate.
If every single hunter in PA killed a buck this past season most would still be unhappy with a license increase.

WV Gino
Well said there Gino. Legislators have always been loathe to approve a license fee increase in PA. Anyone ever noticed that It NEVER happens in an election year? If it were another issue, the volume of calls and letters they're getting on this wouldn't even make em blink but PA's lawmakers have always been skeeerd to death of license fee increases and probably always will be...........
Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Nope. Sorry you dont like my methods or those of many other pa hunters. Pgc is a lame duck agency, doing dcnr & timber + audubons bidding. To ask anything of substance from Pgc is like asking the 5 year old neighbor to borrow his dads truck.
They wouldnt have the authority if they even wanted to.

How many guys are gonna drive halfway across the state to a meeting such as this after the last decade of it being so effective? lol. Not me. Work here to do. If i had NOTHING to do, and i could be driven by limo for free with food & drink included I wouldnt have gone. I'll not even acknowledge that pgc input system as legit. Its not.

Im putting my effort to actual use where it actually is meaningful with the legiscritters. Laying in bed all day would be better spent time than wasting it saying one more word to pgc. I havent been to a meeting or even sent them an email in years. Only words I wanna hear from them is "goodbye"..
Didn't say I don't like your methods of bombarding the legislators. That is only one method. Yes it's a wise method but again,only one.I said; like BTB suggested. I would use "all" angles. You feel the trip to the meeting would be a waste of time. Myself, every opportunity that I would have to be heard. I would use it. It was proposed at a local sportsman's club to pay for a bus and put up a sign-up sheet for all who would be interested to go to the meeting. They had a bus load. Then,they cancelled for the same reason you gave. They thought about it for awhile,then declared it would be a waste of time. I guess they now feel just sitting on the bar stools will resolve their issues.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM
Banned

Id hope those guys would contact their legislators. If they have done that already or continue to, then I have no problem with them sitting on their bar stools instead of being at the pgc meeting. If theyve done nothing at all, then they deserve whatever they are dealt. Just my opinion. On the other hand, if some want to attend those meetings, more power to them.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM
Banned

Interesting article on the meeting. Commissioner Boops take, and backed up by legislator(s).

"Boop believes they stopped showing up because they got tired of being ignored.

Indeed, many state legislators — state Rep. Bryan Cutler, of Peach Bottom, for one — said hunters have increasingly been turning to them the past few years to lodge complaints about a lack of deer.

Cutler said last year that Pennsylvania's declining deer herd was the top issue constituents contacted him about. "

Hmm. Sounds exactly like what ive said doesnt it? Imagine that. lol.

Btw fellas, if you can you should try and tune in to the webcast tomorrow. Dont know what will get accomplished by i guarantee from some info that Id obtained... its gonna be alot more interesting than todays was. lol.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait a minute guys!

In one breath you guys are saying that the majority of hunters are happy with the deer management situation here in PA and only the USP type are unhappy.

Then in the next breath you think legaslators are afraid to vote for a fee increase because hunters will get mad and vote them out of office..

Now if the majority of hunters are well satisfied with the PGC's deer management then they'll also aprove the fee hike.

Look at this site for example. Those that feel there are plenty of deer want the increase.

Those of us that are not happy with the PGc's deer management plan are the ones against a fee hike.

So if you guys are correct about only the USP types being the whining minority, then legaslators should have no fear.

Could it be that in some way you PGC supporters actually realize that the majority of hunters are unhappy and legislators also know that the majority are unhappy.

Think about it.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Gino

WV Gino

If this is so true, then how did license fees get to the price they are today?

Fishing license use to be about $8, so did hunting license. Look how much they are today.

I say let the PGC go bankrupt and let the DCNR take over.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
Wait a minute guys!

Could it be that in some way you PGC supporters actually realize that the majority of hunters are unhappy and legislators also know that the majority are unhappy.

Think about it.
I think they are denying reality, just like a few of our BOCers are denying reality. In communicating with our BOCers, 4 will say that they are hearing many complaints from hunters in 2G, and 2 will say that they have very few complaints. Somebody ain't exactly seeing the light one way or another.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
Wait a minute guys!

In one breath you guys are saying that the majority of hunters are happy with the deer management situation here in PA and only the USP type are unhappy.

Then in the next breath you think legaslators are afraid to vote for a fee increase because hunters will get mad and vote them out of office..

Now if the majority of hunters are well satisfied with the PGC's deer management then they'll also aprove the fee hike.

Look at this site for example. Those that feel there are plenty of deer want the increase.

Those of us that are not happy with the PGc's deer management plan are the ones against a fee hike.

So if you guys are correct about only the USP types being the whining minority, then legaslators should have no fear.

Think about it.
It's kind of obvious that you've only become aware of the politics involved in a license increase recently. Hunting and fishing license increases have ALWAYS been a political hot potato. Wait, Maybe I shouldnt say always, but I can say for sure it's been that way for 50+ years. I wasnt around before that so I guess awlways is a long time.

If you think a big controversey over a license increase is a new thing, you havent been paying attention over the years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.