Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
CT private hunting land >

CT private hunting land

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

CT private hunting land

Old 01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Spike

Default CT private hunting land

I read an article that CT passed a law allowing people to post their land on a list that can be found in town hall. My town (Wethersfield) doesn't seem to have this list. Does anyone know if their town clerk has this list? I've been looking for private hunting land to hunt turkey or deer for ages. If anyone has any advice it will be well appreciated. My brother and I are willing to work the land and offer some of our harvest to the land owner. Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Spike

I am not sure what you are looking for. If it is a list of property owners in the town who allow hunting on their land, do not waste your time. Such a list does not exist. Access to private property is granted by the property owner who does not have to inform anyone. The DEP website has the form that need to be signed. If you are looking for a list of property owners, towns have tax roles which describe the property.

You're offer to work some land and split the harvest (share cropping) is not going to work. If you are a farmer, you may be able to lease land for farming and may be able get the land owner to allow you to hunt the land. Folks who offer to trade work for access are usually wasting their time unless they are licensed tradesmen. As the farmer whose land I hunt tells me, he does not want amateurs (like me - I can do some electrical work but am no electrician) or uninsured people working on his property.

You get permission by getting to know the land owner (family relationships help a whole lot) and building on that relationship over the years (stop by to say hello through out the year).