Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
How will you spend the "off" season? >

How will you spend the "off" season?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How will you spend the "off" season?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

I always figured esp with turkey that the 3D qualities would pay dividends for concealment. Anxious to try one out myself. I'll probably opt for the lightweight no scentlok. I wear base layers and am pretty obsessive about scent control with my deer hunting...but I don't wear the full scentlok suits. Turkey I am more concerned just about staying cool, comfortable, and CONCEALED! (Oh..and no bugs!) If I like the leafy suit, I'll wear it over my reg hunting gear for deer.
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

One fly in the ointment with the leafy suits. They love all types of burrs and hitchhikers! ****leburrs and beggars lice seem especially fond of my suit. The material isnt the problem. It's all the nooks and crannies formed by the leafy strips.

Still the trade is worth it!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:26 PM
Typical Buck

Off season? In this day and age? There is no off season for me. I take my 2 hour walk each day looking for sheds, coyotes, big tracks and tending to my 4 cameras. After that, it's answering phones all night long while also tying flies to meet the April 1st deadline on a 175 dozen order. After that, I manage to be a lazy individual with his eyes closed.

One thing on my priority list is catching up to the critter that did this.......

Old 01-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Strange looking indeed! What are you guessing did that? Dont really see a wound. Unlikely that its a predator scar. I'm guessin some kind of skin disorder or problem and the deer has probably chewed that area. I've seen similar bare patches on captive deer.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Typical Buck

I dunno. But I recorded a bobcat with its kill in the exact same spot last year.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned

Man thats a heckuva coincidence that you posted that. I saw a young doe this bowseason EXACTLY like that one, but with a bigger piece torn out. The torn hide was a little higher on the back going across the top of the shoulder blades and down each side slightly. The missing hide was hanging loosely on one side. Deer looked skinny. I was gonna kill it and put it out of its misery but the 3 different days i saw it in a row, didnt come close nuff. I would really like to know what is doing that. I assumed it got rolled by a truck or something and the hide peeled off from something under the truck or the pavement. Dont know.

I later found the little doe dead on the same hill id been bowhunting, during rifle. It had been dead a while.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-20-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

I donno about the cat. I cant picture a bobs claws tearing out a piece of tough deer hide like that, in that manner,a big solid piece.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

"I'm guessin some kind of skin disorder or problem and the deer has probably chewed that area. I've seen similar bare patches on captive deer"

Hard to say... I cant really tell in the pic if thats just hair missing or hide & all. One i spoke of you could actually see the red muscle of the deers back. But that was early in the year and a very young deer with little or no fat where the tear was, so you could easily tell you were looking at raw meat!

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-20-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
I donno about the cat. I cant picture a bobs claws tearing out a piece of tough deer hide like that, in that manner,a big solid piece.
I figure there'd be torn skin hanging from the wound. But whatever did it, peeled the skin right off the deer.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Banned

Yeah it looks like hide and all. Id bet it was the same deal, whatever yours was is what happened to the one I saw as well. Probably remain a mystery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.