Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
How will you spend the "off" season? >

How will you spend the "off" season?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

How will you spend the "off" season?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default How will you spend the "off" season?

Well, deer season is over for most and almost over for the rest.

I'm planing on trying to take out a few predators and crows over the winter, maybe work up a few good loads for the new 22-250 and maybe finally clean out all the old hunting and fishing gear and put it Ebay.

What're you all planning to do till trout/turkey/walleye season rescues us from withdrawal?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

i am in full bore mode, tying flys like crazy

trout will be here sooner than you think, have been scouting my favorite native streams, mainly just to be outside, not like i can setup trail cameras for them
Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Last night I refinished the new scars on my flintlock.over the next couple of months,I'll start checking out some new spots and scout for turkeys.I'll also load a few hundred rounds of centerfire for about three different calibers.If the weather ever let's up,I plan on killing some crows and maybe hunting coyotes a little.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I have a predator call , a .17 remington, a 22-250 and yotes keeping me awake at night. I plan to shut some of them up permanently.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Banned

".17 remington"

Man i love those things. Have one myself and have shot alot of critter with it through the years...

A couple of deer, coyotes, foxes, coons, groundhogs... in other states its taken b'cat, rabbit, armadillo, ...and probably a few others Ive forgotten.

Knocks yotes on their butt, yet still leaved a pin hole entrance and no exit on fox with proper shot placement.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
".17 remington"
Knocks yotes on their butt, yet still leaved a pin hole entrance and no exit on fox with proper shot placement.
I beleive thats what is designed to do. Minimal pelt damage. A real pain the butt to reload though.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I plan on taking a hike with Dougie.

Get caught up on some house work and sleep in on weekends.
Make a few trips to the cabin for work detail and hunt some yotes.
Put some scouting in there for spring gobbler and scouting for deer around here.Hopefully we get some snow.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone hear of Airsoft?

They are guns that are near perfect replicas of many models of assualt rifles

http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/Airs...show=24&page=2

They are select fire, semi and full auto, yes full auto! They shoot 6mm plastic BB's up to about 400 FPS. (Yes they leave a welt)

Anyway, the step son (20)and a couple of his buddies got them. I ended up getting one for Christmas.

We have a couple other guys that are planning on getting them too. I guess you can say, my plans are to play Army. There are a few videos on Youtube showing grown men like myself playing war. (With eye protection, of coarse) I guess its pretty big over seas. Basically like playing paintball.

The guns are pretty cool and have the heft (mine is 7 1/2lbs) and feel of the real thiing. Shooting one full auto is pure joy. Ammo is cheap too.

They use these on movie sets and for police/military training, because of their realisticness (if that's a word)

Nothing like hunting something that hunts you back!

Anyway, those are some of my plans.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 01-18-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Typical Buck

I figure if I succeed in annoying the hell outta wife between now and Spring, she won't be hard to persuade to let me take some xtra days off for turkey again this year! One of my best "annoy the wife" tactics has already begun...running my mouth calls while I'm making dinnner. As sson as my tax return rolls in, I've got some shopping to do..still itchin for a leafy suit for gobblers. Prep the fishin' gear...do a little shed hunting. I have a 1/4 acre of woods to clear this wkd, too.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
I figure if I succeed in annoying the hell outta wife between now and Spring, she won't be hard to persuade to let me take some xtra days off for turkey again this year! One of my best "annoy the wife" tactics has already begun...running my mouth calls while I'm making dinnner. As sson as my tax return rolls in, I've got some shopping to do..still itchin for a leafy suit for gobblers. Prep the fishin' gear...do a little shed hunting. I have a 1/4 acre of woods to clear this wkd, too.

Definitely make the investment in the leafy suit! Been using one for years now and they work!! If you are willing to part with
$3-350, scentblocker has one with a zip out carbon lining. I use the outer suit in warm weather and for turkey and zip in the carbon liner for my deer and coyote hunting. A guy my size makes a pretty big "bush" and I've been stared at many times but they always relax when the wind rustles the "leaves" on the suit!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.