Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA flintlock

Old 01-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default PA flintlock

Anyone doing any good With the flintlock, im in 2B and its still in till the Jan 23, I shot a deer new years day, turned out to be a buck that shedded already, Anyone else any good?
Attached Thumbnails PA flintlock-deer-flintlock.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Been out every weekend. even in that deepfreeze. The dinks do seem to shed early although I saw a dink 6 point a week ago that was packing both sides.
I was out yesterday (SAT) and saw a ton of tracks. The buck I am after is spending his days on a South Slope of property that I can't hunt. I have him patterned by his tracks. There is no mistaking his from other tracks. The deer that remain now are so spooked that they must be driven during daylight hours.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

No luck here in 4C. I was off the entire week in between Xmas and New Years. Missed one running at about 90 mph but only saw one deer the entire week. Our season is closed, we only had two weeks of late season. I wish w were still able to hunt a little later. Oh well, I hunted hard all season and got skunked, but it was nice to out and having a break from crime!

Stay Safe.

K
Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Saw a shed buck and a forkie together Wednesday along with a doe. The doe, or part of her at least, is in the skillet as I post this.

Couldnt hunt Thursday but the deer were all over most every southern exposure I saw from the road in the afternoon.

A buddy who had a freind in 2C asked if I knew any public ground in 2B. I sent em to a spot about a mile and a half from me and they were into deer 15 minutes after they parked the truck. All those were young does

I usually hunt more archery in this late season but has anybody else noticed that you can still legally harvest a buck with a flintlock in 2B? It's antlerless only with a rifle, shotgun, bow or crossbow but you can still take a legal buck with the flinter. I double checked and it was that way last year too.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldnt hunt Thursday but the deer were all over most every southern exposure I saw from the road in the afternoon.
But you don't consider yourself to be lucky to live and hunt in an area that hasn't been effected by HR? I haven't seen a deer since the second week of the concurrent season.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
But you don't consider yourself to be lucky to live and hunt in an area that hasn't been effected by HR? I haven't seen a deer since the second week of the concurrent season.

Quite frankly, no, because a drive across I-80 where it passes through 2G on an afternoon like that over the past several seasons can and indeed has produced dozens of deer sightings there much like what I saw Thursday in 2B. . If you care to do a search, you'll find where I've posted those very observations in 2G before as recently as last winter.

If you havent seen a deer since the concurrent season, you need to learn where to look. If I recall correctly, hunters in your WMU manage to find roughly 29000 of em each season. Some deer obviously had to survive the concurrent season for it to keep happening.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BTBowhunter
Quite frankly, no, because a drive across I-80 where it passes through 2G on an afternoon like that over the past several seasons can and indeed has produced dozens of deer sightings there much like what I saw Thursday in 2B. . If you care to do a search, you'll find where I've posted those very observations in 2G before as recently as last winter.

If you havent seen a deer since the concurrent season, you need to learn where to look. If I recall correctly, hunters in your WMU manage to find roughly 29000 of em each season. Some deer obviously had to survive the concurrent season for it to keep happening.
Does the PGC say the herd in 2B is stable, decreasing or increasing? Has the herd in 2G been decreased from 15 DPSM in 2000 to 8DPSM in 2007? WMU 2B has 3 times as many times deer PSM as 2G ,but you don't consider yourself to be lucky? Maybe you should by your own deer fawn so you can be as lucky as the guys in 2G!!!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Does the PGC say the herd in 2B is stable, decreasing or increasing? Has the herd in 2G been decreased from 15 DPSM in 2000 to 8DPSM in 2007? WMU 2B has 3 times as many times deer PSM as 2G ,but you don't consider yourself to be lucky? Maybe you should by your own deer fawn so you can be as lucky as the guys in 2G!!!

This thread was started about the late flintlock season in 2B and whether anyone is seeing shed bucks. There are plenty of other threads already hijacked into another deer management debate. Lets keep this one on topic please. I apologize to the thread starter and other participants for allowing myself to get sucked into another DMP debate. It wont continue!

Last edited by BTBowhunter; 01-17-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is nothing more than another attempt to avoid answering the hard questions you can't answer. Anyone that wants to post about the late FL season in 2B can still post whatever they want to post, but you still can't answer my questions.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

One more week guys! Gonna try and get out tomorrow and as often as I can this week.

Not looking forward to the "deer withdrawal" next week

Not looking forward to yanking treestands

Especially not looking forward to that honey-do list stuck to the fridge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.