Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Question about doe tags and forest re-growth >

Question about doe tags and forest re-growth

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Question about doe tags and forest re-growth

Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The point you are missing is that the current DMP has nothing to do with the number of deer the habitat can support. It is simply about the number of deer that the habitat can support so DCNR can get the desired regeneration of commercially valuable species of trees.
That's true in our state forests.They are managing the deer on our state forest at a level low enough so they don't have to fence.The sad thing is,that level wouldn't have to be as low as it is if the herd wasn't allowed to devistate the habitat for as long as they did.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The answer is very simple.Once the habitat gets degraded to the point is in many places,it takes very few deer to keep it that way or make it even worse.Most of these areas will never have high deer densities again,even with no doe hunting unless we have several mild winters and good mast crops.Still,unless the heard is kept very low,the habitat will never start to recover.That sucks but that's what happens when you have too many deer for too long.
That claim is false and misleading. WMU 2G had almost twice as many deer in 2000 as it has today and that was after the PGC claimed the forest had been over browsed for 80 years. In the mid 90's Elk Co. had over 20 OWDPSM and now it has 8 or 9. The true MSY CC of northern hardwoods is 40 DPSM not 8 or 9. In 2004 DCNR stated 50% of the plots had adequate regeneration to replace the existing canopy while at the same time claiming the deer limited regeneration to 24% of the plots. The whole DMP was based on false and misleading info from DCNR and the PGC.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

No it isn't false and misleading.Deer browse.That's what they do.If there isn't alot of browse,it takes less deer to impact the browse that is present.It's ridiculous to claim otherwise.Yes,without a doubt there are other factors effecting regeneration.No one has never claimed there wasn't.It doesn't matter though.Poor habitat will support less deer.Less deer will have more of an impact on poor habitat.That's a fact,not a misleading claim.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by DougE
You have no idea what you're talking about.LETTING THE DEER HERD GROW WILL NOT INCREASE OAK PRODUCTION.Thinning the herd,along with sound silvaculture technigues such as shelter wood cuts,burns and herbicides is what get's oak regeneration.If you want oak regeneration,the deer will eat the oaks before they touch the maples.

You guys simply don't get it.It takes very few deer to impact regeneration in areas with poor habitat.

If you got less deer and they are only targeting the hardwood sprouts what is the forest going to be mainly consisted of?
Junk trees and shrubs.
You let these grow and they will block the sun that is needed for plant life.
Now you got more fast growing maples than you ever had before.
Now tell me this?
How do you plan on getting rid of the over abundance and dominant species of maples if the deer herd is reduced so much that they can now be picky about what they eat because there is no competiton over the best browse?
The maples will continue to grow without any predation on that plant from the deer and the target species now is the hardwoods and the junk trees get to grow and choke out the rest of the forest floor.
Where is this controlled burn going on and the harvest of junk trees going on in our SF that you mentioned above?
Not in 2G or 2e in the CLF county area.
Where is this happening that you are talking about?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

You shouldn't be able to get a clear shot at a deer in a northern hardwoods stand beyond 100 yards.Northern harwoods(not oak/hickory)have a lot of shade tolerant species that will grow(be it slower)under a mature manopy.Oak is different,Oak does not grow well under a mature canopy so you shouldn't expect good oak regeneration under a mature canopy.You have to remember though,only about 40% of our forests are oak/hickory.
In an exclosure you mentioned in the past that had a few deer trapped inside...approx 4, which translated to a comparable effect of a DD of 19dpsm, you claimed they had browsed all the preffered species down to nothing. If a reasonable DD of 19 dpsm can completely ravage an understory in a recent timber cut...what hope does the future hold for pole timber forests with a sparse understory? Will we be forced to endure single digit DD indefinitely, in the name of biodiversty and valuable lumber commodities? Many of the DMP supporters now, only support the plan because they were led to believe that HR is a temporary measure that will fade away when the habitat recovers sufficiently, yet examples like your exclosure aren't painting a portrait of a bright future, I'm afraid.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The answer is very simple.Once the habitat gets degraded to the point is in many places,it takes very few deer to keep it that way or make it even worse.Most of these areas will never have high deer densities again,even with no doe hunting unless we have several mild winters and good mast crops.Still,unless the heard is kept very low,the habitat will never start to recover.That sucks but that's what happens when you have too many deer for too long.

This is what I mean about talking out both sides of your mouth. You said,

"Most of these areas will never have high deer densities again,even with no doe hunting unless we have several mild winters and good mast crops."

So why issue all the doe tags? If the land can't support a large deer herd, then there shouldn't be any growth in the deer population to worry about.

In other words, if there wasn't enough food, the deer would starve out. If the CC of the land were exceeded, deer would start starving or move to other areas.

My arguement is, there is enough food or the population wouldn't be able to grow at all.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tony_Loyd
If you got less deer and they are only targeting the hardwood sprouts what is the forest going to be mainly consisted of?
Junk trees and shrubs.
You let these grow and they will block the sun that is needed for plant life.
Now you got more fast growing maples than you ever had before.
Now tell me this?
How do you plan on getting rid of the over abundance and dominant species of maples if the deer herd is reduced so much that they can now be picky about what they eat because there is no competiton over the best browse?
The maples will continue to grow without any predation on that plant from the deer and the target species now is the hardwoods and the junk trees get to grow and choke out the rest of the forest floor.
Where is this controlled burn going on and the harvest of junk trees going on in our SF that you mentioned above?
Not in 2G or 2e in the CLF county area.
Where is this happening that you are talking about?

Yep,even a small amount of deer can alter the forest in poor habitat.Isn't that what I've been saying all along?

There have been several controlled burns behind SB elliot state park.I'd be more than glad to show you.They also have several areas where studies were done with lime and hebicides.They even have controlled areas right next to each other where they're comparing the different treatments as a study for the US forest service.I can show you that as well.

There's also a large area that got burned in Treasure lake by accident just off I80.in fact,I WANT TO CHECK THAT OUT AS SOON AS THE SNOW MELTS.You're more than welcome to tag along.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
In an exclosure you mentioned in the past that had a few deer trapped inside...approx 4, which translated to a comparable effect of a DD of 19dpsm, you claimed they had browsed all the preffered species down to nothing. If a reasonable DD of 19 dpsm can completely ravage an understory in a recent timber cut...what hope does the future hold for pole timber forests with a sparse understory? Will we be forced to endure single digit DD indefinitely, in the name of biodiversty and valuable lumber commodities? Many of the DMP supporters now, only support the plan because they were led to believe that HR is a temporary measure that will fade away when the habitat recovers sufficiently, yet examples like your exclosure aren't painting a portrait of a bright future, I'm afraid.
They didn't browse all of the prefered species.They totaly destroyed the oak.The red maple is prefered but it's doing fine
and hardly even touched.The habitat itself is fine in that exclosure to support quite a few deer for several years.That example just illustrated how deer singled out the most prefered species first and also illustarted how it doesn't take a huge deer density for that to happen.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Windwalker7
This is what I mean about talking out both sides of your mouth. You said,

"Most of these areas will never have high deer densities again,even with no doe hunting unless we have several mild winters and good mast crops."

So why issue all the doe tags? If the land can't support a large deer herd, then there shouldn't be any growth in the deer population to worry about.

In other words, if there wasn't enough food, the deer would starve out. If the CC of the land were exceeded, deer would start starving or move to other areas.

My arguement is, there is enough food or the population wouldn't be able to grow at all.
Because it takes less deer to continually impact poor habitat.These areas will never be timbered,which is a shameThe only way they;re ever going to get any improvements to the habitat is to reduce the herd to an extremely low density and keep it there for a long time.They want the forest to recover in those areas but they can't ever timber it.One OF THE ONLY THINGS THEY CAN DO IS KEEP THE HERD DOWN TO RIDICULOUSLY LOW DENSITIES.I don't like but we can thank the treehuggers for that.

THERE ISN'T ENOUGH FOOD FOR MORE DEER IF THE HABITAT ISN'T RECOVERING.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
Pole timber will never safely hold more than 5 dpsm as long as it's in that pole timber stage.I don't hunt pole timber and can't understand why anyone would.That's why the state can't cut too much timber at one time.It will be great for a while but then after 10-12 years,the carrying capacity will plummet.Pole timber won't have an understory.Saw timber should.That's why the carrying capacity increases to around 20 dpsm in saw timber.There should be an understory plus mast in some cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.