Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2010 Rut

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default 2010 Rut

what does everybody think of the 2010 rut? the rut this year if you havent noticed wont fall til like november 21 the latest ever. i always take the first two weeks in november. should i change that this year? what is your inputs on the rut being real late this year? is there any truth with the full moon and the rut?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Actually the second full moon after the equinox (the rutting moon) for 2010 occurs on October 23 this year.

I personally believe in the good old calendar and photoperiodism as the real rut trigger but the full moons do seem to affect intensity somewhat. year after year, most states that monitor conception dates tell us that it doesnt vary much with most of the Northern US having a rut peak between Nov 10 and 17. when the rutting moon falls close to that period, it seems like we have a very intense peak to the rut and when it is "off" like it will be this year, the actual peak time seems less intense. These are not scientific observations but more from experiences over the years as a hunter and a guide.

I would watch the deer as you approach your vacation time and schedule according to your own observations and the observations of your hunting buddies more than a full moon that hits us a good two weeks before the traditional peak time.

Whats good about this year is that the new moon tends to be better for more daylight activity in whitetails and it should fall almost perfect.

Just my $.02
Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The second NEW moon after the fall equinox falls on Nov 6th this year. Full moon means squat. New moon, darkest nights is the key. Also, if moon can be seen during the daylight hours, in the last quarter or first quarter. Three days berfore and 1 week after plan on being off. You can't go wrong.

Surely folks will barf at this, but it's held true 30 some years of following it.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:23 PM
Banned

"I personally believe in the good old calendar and photoperiodism as the real rut trigger but the full moons do seem to affect intensity somewhat."
I agree with the good old calendar & photoperiodism. I dont believe the moon has much effect at all imho. Its a bunch of trumped up nonsense a few writers have come up with to have more to write about & act as if they know more than they actually do. Thats my opinion anyway.

I think temperature dictates alot more the activity level. You can have any moon you like, if its 70 degrees out you wont be seeing much rutting activity in the daylight hours for the mostpart. Given nice frosty temps, I believe the level of rutting activity would be similar from year to year.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I saw no evidence of the rut in our area last year, so I'm not concerned about when the rut will occur next year. We saw fewer scrapes and rubs than ever before and we didn't see any small bucks that would have been protected by ARs.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

personally i think the deer were going in and out of rut because in maine one week we had snow and the next week 50 degrees..the deer were all messed up this year
Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The bucks have one thing on their minds and that is PUTANG, every year I find that just around November 8th (give or take a few days) is prime time
Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

personally i think the deer were going in and out of rut because in maine one week we had snow and the next week 50 degrees..the deer were all messed up this year
I agree it was an on/off rut and you better be in the woods when on. I am frequired ot apply for my vacay by the end of Feb., so it is always interesting hearing these dates and ideas. But I usually go w/ the end of the 1st week in November as the high or intense rut.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
I agree it was an on/off rut and you better be in the woods when on. I am frequired ot apply for my vacay by the end of Feb., so it is always interesting hearing these dates and ideas. But I usually go w/ the end of the 1st week in November as the high or intense rut.

Before I retired, I pretty much had the same requirement. I generally picked my two weeks around the time that the second NEW moon after the fall solstice fell, allowing 3-5 days before that and 9-11 days after. I spent every second possible in the woods during those times. Before or after that, when ever I could I spent in the woods during season. Bottom line, as I've said many times, I dont care how good you are or what theory you follow, it's about being in the right place at the right time.

The more time you spend in the woods, the better the chance that will happen. That's one of the great things about retirement, which, by the way, is NOT overated LOL.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Typical Buck

November 6th

anytime from Nov 1-15 is good for me. They chase from mid October through Mid December around me here in PA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.