Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

2010 Rut

Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bluebird2
I saw no evidence of the rut in our area last year, so I'm not concerned about when the rut will occur next year.
Ditto!!! I've been paying close attention the last three years now in the area's that I hunt, and talk about being lack luster or what!! I personally feel that it's way over rated!!! Pat attention to the best food source in your area and the wind, that 's where you'll find the deer.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Regardless of when the rut falls, no matter which days I pick to be off, they will be 10-15 degrees warmer than normal. You can bet on that. The days I go back to work will have a great cold front and low temps.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless of when the rut falls, no matter which days I pick to be off, they will be 10-15 degrees warmer than normal. You can bet on that. The days I go back to work will have a great cold front and low temps.
Ain't it the truth!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

I have taken off the last part of the first week in November the last two years and have had sucess. I think I may have killed both bucks the last two years on Nov. 5th. I still plan on taking off the end of the first week in November this year as well unless it really seems to be pushing later.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:30 AM
Typical Buck

I've been folowing Alsheimer's moon predictions for years...he is usually right on in comparison to what i observe with rut activity. When the second full moon falls during the first week of Nov= classic rut with peak breeding near 11/15. When it falls during last week in October, it signalsd a slightly earlier rut with peak breeding in the first week of Nov. The tricky ones are when the moon comes after the second week....sometimes blamed for a trickle rut, where some breed earlier in late October, and some breed during early december. Of course alot has to do with age structure in your local herd, daytime temps, and hunting pressure as well. Some believe it, some do not...but like I said...his predictions normally mirror what i see in the woods....but those late years are tricky, and rut action usually sucks in my experience.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
Ain't it the truth!

Lol...Murphy's law definitley has applied to my huntig career, too!
Old 01-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually take a look at Alsheimer's prediction, but I haven't really seen much of a correlation around these parts over the years. Regardless of the prediction, I always see the best movement around the 1st two weeks of November as long as the weather cooperates. Warm temps = few sightings and little daytime movement in my experience. Over the last 5 years, I've killed some nice bucks the morning following the 2nd full moon which isn't what would be predicted.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

personally i think the deer were going in and out of rut
Deer do not go into and out of rut. Their rutting behavior may fluctuate due to various factors, weather,temp,pressure,etc. They are still "rutting" ,although their behavior doesnt always coincide with our perception of classic rutting behavior.
I've been folowing Alsheimer's moon predictions for years...he is usually right on in comparison to what i observe with rut activity. When the second full moon falls during the first week of Nov= classic rut with peak breeding near 11/15. When it falls during last week in October, it signalsd a slightly earlier rut with peak breeding in the first week of Nov. The tricky ones are when the moon comes after the second week....sometimes blamed for a trickle rut, where some breed earlier in late October, and some breed during early december. Of course alot has to do with age structure in your local herd, daytime temps, and hunting pressure as well. Some believe it, some do not...but like I said...his predictions normally mirror what i see in the woods....but those late years are tricky, and rut action usually sucks in my experience
i agree 100%-my observations also usually coincide with alsheimers predictions.

Last edited by rh160kid; 01-15-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

One thing i'll say about Alsheimers predictions, they fall within the time frame there will definately be rutting activity going on, because his predictions always fall within the traditional accepted "rutting period" anyway. Therefore Id imagine no matter what they wont be "far" off.

But as far as guessing within a day or two exactly when it will begin. Or when exact peak activity will occur within a 24 hour period. Or even whether it will be better activity the week of Nov. 8 2010 or the week of Nov 15 2011 based on the moon phases, I aint buying it. Could be wrong. Just my opinion.

I do think if its something that gives a hunter more confidence and helps them stay on stand longer or more often then believing in something such as the moon effects aint gonna hurt ya none.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.