Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
What PA needs .................... >

What PA needs ....................

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What PA needs ....................

Old 12-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Banned

Thats why they have "wind biologists" now at pgc. To sit in the front office and make sure one of those windmills doesnt suck the doe tags out an open window.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted where the 85 tornado approached Kane through the ANF and the swath was 400 yards wide and as far as you could see in both directions. Everything was leveled. Now it is pole stage with nothing but leaf litter on the ground. It could use a thinning now.
Made for some tremendous habitat for over a decade though.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:24 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Thats why they have "wind biologists" now at pgc. To sit in the front office and make sure one of those windmills doesnt suck the doe tags out an open window.
I heard they specialize in blowing hot air as well as smoke up the arses of those who sampled their HR Kool-Aid.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well Rendell can't run again, and I have no idea who the GOP plans to run, but I believe we can do better.
Big city lawyers are not the sportsmans friend, we need to start planning further ahead and maybe find a person with a more rural back ground.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bawanajim
I think if I had a camp near forest land, I might be doing a little land management of my own, nights and weekends of course.
Easier to just slice diagonally into the bark with a hatchet or axe, lift the bark up, and inject a healthy dose of full strength RoundUp into the tree. It works well.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Theres one I hadn't heard about, little quieter than a chain saw. And I bet the wood peckers love ya for it.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bawanajim
Theres one I hadn't heard about, little quieter than a chain saw. And I bet the wood peckers love ya for it.
Yea....I hate to admit it.....but the idea came from a QDMA magazine.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

You could just hatchet a ring in the bark all the way around like I said. No chemical needed. You don't need to go deeper than the bark.
This assumes you own the land, of course.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by livbucks
You could just hatchet a ring in the bark all the way around like I said. No chemical needed. You don't need to go deeper than the bark.
Don't we all own a little piece of state land?

And actually for ringing a tree one of those rope type saws works just fine on soft maple, and it just takes a moment.

As for the roundup it would only work in the summer time when there were leaves present or being produced.

Last edited by bawanajim; 12-28-2009 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by livbucks
A landowner did exactly that with 100 acres near my camp. They left the valuable timber trees and ringed the birch, beech and maples and the results were nothing short of amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.