Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
What PA needs .................... >

What PA needs ....................

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

What PA needs ....................

Old 01-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

I've gotta say...the Food & Cover crews do a fantastic job on SGLs 208 & 64. I've seen them knocking down browse in the dead of winter many times. They plant plenty of millet, sorgham, clover, turnips and brassicas. Just ain't many deer to take advantage of it.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

This tract had a few areas of high concentrations, with the most excessive reaching 126 deer per square mile. The habitat at this particular location is rugged, with dense mountain laurel occupying the understory and red oaks dominating the canopy
Isn't it amazing that the habitat in Clearfield Co. that has been overbrowsed for over 80 years ,can support 126 DPSM, yet the PGC claims the habitat in 5B can only support 5 DPSM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
I've gotta say...the Food & Cover crews do a fantastic job on SGLs 208 & 64. I've seen them knocking down browse in the dead of winter many times. They plant plenty of millet, sorgham, clover, turnips and brassicas. Just ain't many deer to take advantage of it.

The grunt PGC land management employees do their best to improve the habitat and the commissioners defeat their efforts by issuing so many antlerless tags so that the herd is reduced to levels much lower than the MSY CC.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
Hr didnt stop any nonresidents from coming here. Didnt have ANY maleffects at all dont you know? Everythings super. lmao.
Yea it's "super" alright. <<<<Sarcasm

In 1998, the PGC sold 67,386 non resident licenses.
In 2002 they sold 61,721 non resident licenses
In 2008, they sold 51,994 non resident licenses

But hey.....everything is just peachy according to the parking lot survey done on the Sunday before firearms season in the parking lot of one of the few sporting goods shops in Tioga County.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The grunt PGC land management employees do their best to improve the habitat and the commissioners defeat their efforts by issuing so many antlerless tags so that the herd is reduced to levels much lower than the MSY CC.
Agreed.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

I dont think i need to tell YOU spurs, but just for anyone else who might not know by some chance, that of course was sarcasm on my part as well, and was in reply to Denny, one who believes the deer plan has caused no maleffects, and is in NO WAY responsible for any hunters quitting.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Banned

While I stand by my statement LITTLE in the way of habitat improvement for deer is done around this area, not nearly what should be expected, I generally dont have a problem with the "grunts" either generally speaking. There may be areas managed much better land wise, there may be an odd idiot wco here or there (as with any profession) around the state, but for the most part they are good people and do overall, far more good than harm.

Same cannot be said of the higher ups. Not even close.

..... I really do despise seeing that eyesore pavillion when i drive by. lol Not only does it not belong there, it reminds me of every thing thats wrong with our pgc currently.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-06-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
Isn't it amazing that the habitat in Clearfield Co. that has been overbrowsed for over 80 years ,can support 126 DPSM, yet the PGC claims the habitat in 5B can only support 5 DPSM.

The 5B DPSM is what upsets Jeff Pike.Heck it's mostly farmland here with woodlots and some public hunting.The public lands owned by PPL,PGC,and some others is all thick.There's alot of places you can't hunt because of the greenbriar.A rabbit aint even crazy enough to go in that stuff.
As for Clearfield the habitat all around our camp is prime but everything is open to hunting and that usually =few deer.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know quite a few hunters who quit over low deer numbers.They were all basically three day a year hunters but none the less it's lost revenue.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Banned

but none the less it's lost revenue.
And voice/weight in deer management decision making.

Its already pointed out continually by the antis & environmental extremists in a deceptive manner that our opinions shouldnt matter because we're only 8% or so of the population. Its only gonna be worse if that goes to 7, 6 or 5.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 01-06-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.