Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Any Grouse????

Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Love it when the late season partridge come blasting out of their snow cave. Scares the crap out of you the first time it happens.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by DougE
I'd reccomend either for deer.Both also have grouse but the best grouse numbers I've been seeing have been in Moshannon state forest.Just Bring your tick spray.
i talked to local hunters there and they said MSF was terrible on deer this year.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

want to invite me up to hunt that DREAM OF MY LIFE....tobys tail is getting hardon as i read this out loud to him
RGS is going to do the hunt again next fall. This was the first time they tried it. It sold out early, but they lost money. If I recall, it was $200 for 2 days plus dinner banquet and breakfast. They plan on raising the price next year, but we'll make the trip up again (those who went this year have first priority on spots).

I plan on heading up in January at some point and hunting it again with some friends from here in Virginia. I have the whole place we hunted GPS'd and journal'ed out.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

"20 plus flushes in less than two hours and I never got off the skidder trail"
That is truly amazing. I read somewhere - game commission literature, IIRC - that the average is one flush per hour. That has pretty much been my experience over the last few years in Luzerne/Columbia/Sullivan Cos.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Check your PM's Jim
Old 12-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Took a bit of doing but check your email for two TOPO's

Good luck to you and the pooch!
Old 12-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think we're supposed to be in the upward trend of the grouse cycle right now. You just need the right habitat. Where we hunt, most of the land was clear cut about 10-15 years ago. It's overgrown like crazy now. Any clear areas are thick with blueberry and blackberry bushes. Then there are the laurel thickets.

So many grouse that you get sick of them. I hate sneaking to my stand in the dark and almost having a heart attack when those SOBs flsuh under my boots

I'll tell you one thing. The coyotes are on to them. They've been dogging the grouse and turkey poults like crazy in the early summer.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
Love it when the late season partridge come blasting out of their snow cave. Scares the crap out of you the first time it happens.
Pert near makes you fire your gun in the air and scream like a sissy.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few NH grouse...
You might have already seen these Jimbo??!!

Open until the 31st up here.

Come up on the 30th and 31st and I'll show you some of the best grouse hunting you have ever seen!
Attached Thumbnails Any Grouse????-dsc03775_email.jpg   Any Grouse????-dsc03782_1st-day_email.jpg   Any Grouse????-dsc03785_2nd-day_email.jpg  
Old 12-19-2009, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bow hunted the last 2 weekends of Oct. instead of grouse hunting.

My buddies wound up getting another 26 birds with only 3 or 4 hunters, unfortunately when I don't show up WE don't get pictures, as I am the "camera" guy.

Our style of hunting is to line up and push the country side for grouse, if you bring your puppy I would think we could do better???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.