Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA? >

HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?

Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
I believe everyone supports the development of food plots where needed but only 3 WMUs have less than 10% farmland and only 2 WMUs are at least 90% forested and those 2 WMUs were assigned the highest OWDD goals by the PGC in 2003.
I have volunteered many many times to put in food plots on SFL to benefit wildlife. The DCNR makes you jump through hoops to get it done and I finally gave up on the idea. They will open up the gates to allow hunters access to kill deer, but by God they won't open a gate to allow a hunter access to do something that would benefit both the deer and all other wildlife.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stress measuring? HTF do you measure the stress factor on a buck that went into the winter in bad shape and is probably laying dead along a waterway in March as opposed to laying in the back of a pickup truck the following November?
So the solution to undue stress on our buck is obviously to shoot them before they die of natural causes. I guess that means the PGC should repeal ARs.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Banned

Doesnt matter to me.

Though I think they should leave the 4 pt ar in THIS wmu...For study purposes and such....You know... For the good of science 'n all. lol .

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-29-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
So the solution to undue stress on our buck is obviously to shoot them before they die of natural causes. I guess that means the PGC should repeal ARs.
Well I reckon allowing a few more does to survive wouldn't be a bad idear either. More poontang for a male of any species is a win/win situation all the way around.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a reasonable solution, but how are you going to get the PGC to agree?
Old 12-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
I have volunteered many many times to put in food plots on SFL to benefit wildlife. The DCNR makes you jump through hoops to get it done and I finally gave up on the idea. They will open up the gates to allow hunters access to kill deer, but by God they won't open a gate to allow a hunter access to do something that would benefit both the deer and all other wildlife.

Join the audabon.In Clearfield the DCNR let them plant trees,install bird houses,and put up fencing.

Better to be a bird watcher then a deer hunter.In their eyes I guess.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by glew22
Not sure what the "official" QDMA stance is on the current PGC management program. However, last year I wrote the PGC because I thought there was a problem. I belive the herd in 2g was reduced below the carrying capacity. I commended the PGC for discontinuing the combined buck/doe season, it needed to be done. I also suggested that they continue to take action and reduce the antlerless allocation in 2g. Conversely, I suggested they increase antlerless allocations in 5c. There's way too many deer. I feel that down here, anyone who wants a doe license should have the option to do so, without worry they would be sold out.
I've been gone a few days. Okay, I'll respond by saying you need to get with the times, friend. In case you haven''t heard, the PGC is NOT managing deer in PA using any kind of a carrying capacity model as in years past. This management program is based on forest health (ir, regeneration of commercially valuable hardwoods and wildlflowers) and human conflict. The golas in 5A and 5B wrer modeled specifically to reduce human conflict. I'm disappointed that someone flaunting such lofty credentials would be so lost in these discussions. I'm sure the pGC thought so, too and got a chuckle when you mentioned carrying capacity in your letter. Probably had to dust off an old encyclopedia to even find the meaning of the term. Also, for someone who is so concerned about the habitat, I'm curious. Why would you want the herd in the NC counties to increase when the forests have not met the PGC's target goals for forest health? Seems counter productive, doesn't it? You know, that's quite a story about the 55 bucks on your QDM property. Wonder how may we would get on 250 acres of state forest land in the same amount of time? I enjoy the stories of your mega deer densities and all the monster bucks. Keep telling us, because it only reinforces my opinions of the QDM crowd, and it all boiling down to hunting in crazy high deer densities and antler greed. And if you've only killed one buck in six years practicing QDM on 250 acres, you've obviously been doing something terribly wrong. (Or you're just interested in "booners.") You know...if you really want to reduce that herd, you should open it all up to the public land hunters in the SE that are otherwise crammed into a handful of grossly overhunted gameless lands, where they are glad to shoot anything brown that runs by. I'm sure they would be glad to have a new place with a few deer and some dandy bucks to boot. You never DID mention which county you are from.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Screamin Steel
I've been gone a few days. Okay, I'll respond by saying you need to get with the times, friend. In case you haven''t heard, the PGC is NOT managing deer in PA using any kind of a carrying capacity model as in years past. This management program is based on forest health (ir, regeneration of commercially valuable hardwoods and wildlflowers) and human conflict. The golas in 5A and 5B wrer modeled specifically to reduce human conflict. I'm disappointed that someone flaunting such lofty credentials would be so lost in these discussions. I'm sure the pGC thought so, too and got a chuckle when you mentioned carrying capacity in your letter. Probably had to dust off an old encyclopedia to even find the meaning of the term. Also, for someone who is so concerned about the habitat, I'm curious. Why would you want the herd in the NC counties to increase when the forests have not met the PGC's target goals for forest health? Seems counter productive, doesn't it? You know, that's quite a story about the 55 bucks on your QDM property. Wonder how may we would get on 250 acres of state forest land in the same amount of time? I enjoy the stories of your mega deer densities and all the monster bucks. Keep telling us, because it only reinforces my opinions of the QDM crowd, and it all boiling down to hunting in crazy high deer densities and antler greed. And if you've only killed one buck in six years practicing QDM on 250 acres, you've obviously been doing something terribly wrong. (Or you're just interested in "booners.") You know...if you really want to reduce that herd, you should open it all up to the public land hunters in the SE that are otherwise crammed into a handful of grossly overhunted gameless lands, where they are glad to shoot anything brown that runs by. I'm sure they would be glad to have a new place with a few deer and some dandy bucks to boot. You never DID mention which county you are from.
About the vay I see it to. I wuz chust to lazy to type that many vords.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ManySpurs
+1
That makes 2 of us that have tried to improve the state forest only to be driven away