Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Opinion on DMAP tags >

Opinion on DMAP tags

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Opinion on DMAP tags

Old 12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opinion on DMAP tags

How often do you think DMAP tags are used in areas other than where they were intended for? How concerned do you think the game commission is about this problem other than its law enforcement officers enforcing the law when they are aware of it?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Outlaws will always find a way to scam the system. The existence of any particuilar type of tag probably doesnt affect whether or not the lowlifes will try to cheat the rules.

It probably goes on just as people will use tags from a WMU other than the one where the deer was killed. I live on the 2B 2D boundary. If the rumors are true around here, it goes on around the 2B borders where people put the virtually unlimited 2B tags on deer shot close by but outside the 2B borders.

Probably happens less now than when it was by county simply because of the sheer number of counties would have allowed for even more opportunities to cheat.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with that assesment. So how concerned do you think the game commission is about the situation? Surely they must realize it goes on.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have no reason to believe that abuse of DMAP tags would be any more or less of a concern than any other poaching activity. Maybe one of our WCO's can weigh in here.

I do know that one of the DMAPs I hunt is adjacent to a big SGL in 2F and the boundaries are very well marked and I see the regular WCO and a deputy along that road regularly. It would seem that the law enforcement folks take it seriously at least in my neck of the woods.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:39 AM
Spike

they probably have some forumla where they a lot a certain a percentage of tag numbers for thistype of activity.

Same as with the actual deer numbers shot because i can guarantee you that not everyone is reporting there deer after its shot even though its as easy as can be now.

Im sure they have a + or - percentage built into their calculations.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:45 AM
Banned

"How often do you think DMAP tags are used in areas other than where they were intended for? "

Probably often.

"How concerned do you think the game commission is about this problem other than its law enforcement officers enforcing the law when they are aware of it?"

I think they have no concern whatsoever of additional harvest in areas where it wasnt originally intended. In fact, Id imagine they welcome it as its inline with the antideer campaign. Only negative I could see them assessing would be if the tag were used elsewhere, not enough would be used in area intended. Though Given the fact you already have 800,000+ doe tags in circulation + the dmap that ARE used in the dmap areas, dont think there is much concern. As long as the annual report data shows rock bottom numbers and/or declining trends, all is well at pgc.

Having said that, I dont feel there are big problems with dmap as they make up such a small number of tags comparatively. The biggest problem we have is the ridiculous unwarranted allocation of antlerless permits.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-12-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

do to lack of deer in clinton county,dmap if used in area assigned is really waste now.no deer to hunt.
where they are being used is on PRIVATELAND out of dmap area the first week of deer when you cant hunt doe until second week.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Banned

While dmap isnt gonna be looked upon highly by those who believe there are too few deer because it causes even more to be harvested, the real culprit and source of hunters woes is the allocation. In an ideal scenario the doe tags would be cut back to responsible levels and dmap could then be applied where needed in localized areas, preferrably teamed with much smaller wmus!
Old 12-13-2009, 08:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
While dmap isnt gonna be looked upon highly by those who believe there are too few deer because it causes even more to be harvested, the real culprit and source of hunters woes is the allocation. In an ideal scenario the doe tags would be cut back to responsible levels and dmap could then be applied where needed in localized areas, preferrably teamed with much smaller wmus!

right now in clinton county, the tags are NOT being filled do to LACK of deer not time to hunt.you have all of archery with crossbows,then oct week of gun,then 1 week of doe in dec THEN muzzleloader season.

back when it was 3 day of doe only,you would not see hunter in late muzzleloader, only me if i did not get buck.many have hunted at least 3 WEEKS this year and many did not get doe even with dmap tags in sproul sfl.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

How often? Honest people will be honest, poachers will poach. The DMAP is just as likely to be "ignored" as the areas already in place, or the lack of check in system allowing people to not even tag a deer, or the sharing of tags or .... (insert any scumbag way of getting around the system)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.