Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Backstraps down in NY >

Backstraps down in NY

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Backstraps down in NY

Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Backstraps down in NY

Shot this small doe walking to my stand about a half mile down the property. Heres the story:

I got out of my stand around 10 in the morning taking a break. I eat lunch and get back out there at 11:30. My dad was going to come down with me with his climber so he can put it in area at the bottom of the property. I asked him to wait 5 minutes behind me so I can walk down slow just in case. I get into the "back field" and look to my right to see some brown. I slowly crawl forward 10 yards to a sapling. I see that it is a doe. I put my gun on a branch, crosshairs right behind the shoulder and pulled the trigger. I see her jump and jog off with her tail up. I go over there and see if I hit her or not. Look for blood and not a single drop. At this point I get dissapointed because I figured I had missed. I looked around for blood for about 10 minutes.. Give up and say "I will look for her tonight". I walk to my stand, climb up to the top peg and look down to the right. Sure enough, there she is 30 yards away down! I walk over to find that she is a very small doe, about 75 pounds. No big deal though, I'm still pumped! I shot her with a 35 Remington with a Redfield 3X9 scope at about 90 yards. Perfect shot, could not get any better right behind the shoulder, tore her heart in half. This is my 3rd deer ever.. First with gun!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Fork Horn

Congratts KID.
your on a ROLL THIS SEASON!
fill up that freezer
Old 12-09-2009, 04:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

awesome... congrats...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go BigWhitetail. You've had a really good season. Congrats to you, man!
BigBuck95
Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 AM
Spike

Congrats to you.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Typical Buck

better and better dude, keep it going, nice work!!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats, good eating! I shot a doe Sunday and it did not bleed a drop either...hit her right in the shoulder...Luckily I had some snow to follow tracks and 30-40 yards away she was dead. When I shot I watched and listened to her run off, hence why I kept looking....sometimes you gotta go with your gut...I thought from listening to her stumbling and crashing through the trees, I had to have hit her.

Good job!
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

You seem to be a very ethical hunter, not to mention a smart one. Good idea going out to check for hair/blood, and the idea to go back out later. Way to go man, im a fan.
BigBuck95
Old 12-09-2009, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by turkeygirl2
Congrats, good eating! I shot a doe Sunday and it did not bleed a drop either...hit her right in the shoulder...Luckily I had some snow to follow tracks and 30-40 yards away she was dead. When I shot I watched and listened to her run off, hence why I kept looking....sometimes you gotta go with your gut...I thought from listening to her stumbling and crashing through the trees, I had to have hit her.

Good job!
I also had some snow to follow her tracks, but there was two of them and the snow really wasn't deep enough to follow. I also didn't want to push her just in case I didn't get a good shot.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
You seem to be a very ethical hunter, not to mention a smart one. Good idea going out to check for hair/blood, and the idea to go back out later. Way to go man, im a fan.
BigBuck95
Thanks man. And thanks everyone else for all of the replies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.