Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Hunting the late bow/Muzzlelodaer Season? >

Hunting the late bow/Muzzlelodaer Season?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Hunting the late bow/Muzzlelodaer Season?

Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting the late bow/Muzzlelodaer Season?

Going too upstate ny for the day on December 19th to try and get a nice doe with the muzzle loader, any tips on how i should be hunting at this late time of the year?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Dominant Buck

You should have snow and the deer in northern NY will be grouped up. I would focus on the thicker lower elevation areas near traditional yarding areas.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dont know upstate NY but find the food or a yarding area and you'll find the deer. If you'll be in farm country you may still be able to find some standing corn this year. Winter wheat is a bonanza as well.
If as I suspect, you'll be in bigwoods with heavy snow cover, look for yarding areas. Low lying evergreen, rhododendron and laurel thickets out of the wind are a good place to start.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!
Old 12-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

I am leaving in the morning for the last few day of gun season and I will stay into B/P season hopefully the deer are in there feeding mode now that the weather is going to change snow @ cold temp:
I also will see what trails they are traveling on due to the snow covered ground.
I am still holding out for a rack the doe just may be the last resort in b/p season