Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Did anyone in PA have a good season? >

Did anyone in PA have a good season?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Did anyone in PA have a good season?

Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

Did something I've not done since concurrent seasons started, shot a doe on opening day. Started out that morning with a scoped rifle, switched to my old M92 in 38-40 and thumped a big 'un around noon with it.

Very little hunting pressure in my neck of the woods this year. Everyone now prefers to sit. I tend to mostly sit, because each year it gets harder to walk much.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bowtruck
with 3c being buck only first 5 days and rain first day been slow only about 15 bucks killed around me. doe kill been down a bit 2 .But been a good season so far.

most if not all bucks here in my area of clinton county were killed IN RAIN by noon first day.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Cornelius08
"the PGC is going to continue dishing out tags as long as the hunters will buy them as they need the funding,,"

They wouldnt need the funding in the first place if they DIDNT issue so many doe tags, the fee increase would have been approved by legislators. Pgc refused to comply. Thats the reason it has not been thusfar.

" Legislators have,and after 6 long years of this bickering and blaming the PGC,,,guess what,,,the hunters are still slamming the Bejesus out of the does. I place fault firmly on the hunters and im sure i'll get a bashing for stating so,,,but it wont be the 1st time! I feel that if this "bad situation" is ever going to change,,,the hunters have to do the changing,,after all,,,it is OUR sport"

No bashing deserved. You are half right. Many hunters are to blame in part. Pgc blameless though? I think you know better. They are paid to manage the deer herd and that includes setting allocation. If its too high they are to blame right off the bat. I'll put the blame COMPLETELY on hunters the second pgc steps aside and we become the official managers of the herd and we can all legally hunt without paying pgc to set forth all bag limits rules & regulations. When someone is paid to do a job, they are held accountable to do it right. IF pgc doesnt have to do that in your mind, then why do they get over $70million dollars every year???LOL

I know what youre saying. But to leave pgc completely blameless? Doesnt make sense. They are not only permitting but encouraging something that shouldnt be permitted period. Raping of the resource. Thats like the state saying rape is legal then when your wife is victimized, the state is in no part to blame because they werent the ones to do it. Utterly Ridiculous.
Cornelius08:
You are 100% correct and i should have worded my thoughts differently! The difference between me and most on here and other boards is the simple fact that i have no TRUST or CONFIDENCE in any of our govt. entities,,,greed rules them all right on down to the local school board,,,so i count on them for nothing including my own safety,,,i live right outside wash.dc and if you could live here for 6 mos. im sure your opinions would change as well. I know this will never happen because we are so divided in our opinions on herd health and the mgmt. issues in Pa.,,,,but,,,,what if 900,000 pa hunters didnt buy a liscence next year? Dramatic?,,,i would say so,,,,but,,,can you imagine the heads that would start rolling in a circumstance such as this? My point is this,,,,if we(the hunters) dont change something,,,nothing is going to change,,,,just my thoughts
Old 12-10-2009, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know whats nice about this particular thread? No ones bickering like school children. We can respectfully disagree.

I agree with everyone in the fact that both parties are to blame. Us as hunters need to take a stand and let the PGC know what we think of the current situation. Not buying a doe license will hit them where it hurts most. The problem is, not many are willing to do that. I've heard the old adage of buying a license, then tearing it up. But that doesn't work, we're still giving them the money to fund more ridiculous campaigns. Without the hunters' dollar, the PGC would be in a world of hurt.

I'm fortunate enough to hunt well managed private ground so I don't feel the effects as much as the guys out there on public ground. But I feel for those guys. But even our ground has taken a big hit recently. We're neighbored on almost all sides by correctional institute property. The PGC chanaged to concurrent season and increased the doe slaughter, the pressured the prison to allow more people in to hunt. This year they allowed 600 people to pack in there to take deer. This marks the 4 years they've done so. We're noticing that its really taking its toll on our property as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 AM
Typical Buck

[quote=muzzyman88;3525460]You know whats nice about this particular thread? No ones bickering like school children. We can respectfully disagree. quote]

I agree muzzyman. It has been a respectful debate.

I already stated that I had a decent season. Can't make an honest assessment because I only archery hunt and we had a fantastic mast crop this year. Plus most of the surrounding farms planted more corn and didn't harvest most of it until later in November. That will contribute to the less sightings for me. But,most of the corn is down now and the hunters have been out their. Have been hearing very few shots and friends have stated no seeing very many deer. But there is also many pocket area's that deer can get away from hunting pressure and hunters can't touch them unless they wish to break the law to do so. Don't have an honest answer yet if deer numbers are up or down.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:21 AM
Banned

Id agree bp. Not sure if the deer herd in the area I hunt are lower or same this season. Do know the shooting is way down, though it has been the last couple of years, even though there have been tons of guys out. Whether the herd is same or lower Doesnt really matter imho, because for the last few years its been lower than it shouldve been anyway. several years of 55-60,000 doe tags kinda has that effect.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Maverick111
I got pretey good seeson in 2gs saws bunches of deer i shoot a big 10poinnt
and my unkle shoot 7pointr mi bother shoots a deer no horns we have a much meat for myy famly we wish we thinck for more on saterday mi ovthr bother maverick1 donts ever shoots deer dad say hes plaes with numbr 1 two much when in wooods

Old 12-10-2009, 08:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by particular thread? No ones bickering like school children. We camuzzyman88
you know whats nice about this n respectfully disagree.

I agree with everyone in the fact that both parties are to blame. Us as hunters need to take a stand and let the pgc know what we think of the current situation. Not buying a doe license will hit them where it hurts most. The problem is, not many are willing to do that. I've heard the old adage of buying a license, then tearing it up. But that doesn't work, we're still giving them the money to fund more ridiculous campaigns. Without the hunters' dollar, the pgc would be in a world of hurt.

I'm fortunate enough to hunt well managed private ground so i don't feel the effects as much as the guys out there on public ground. But i feel for those guys. But even our ground has taken a big hit recently. We're neighbored on almost all sides by correctional institute property. The pgc chanaged to concurrent season and increased the doe slaughter, the pressured the prison to allow more people in to hunt. This year they allowed 600 people to pack in there to take deer. This marks the 4 years they've done so. We're noticing that its really taking its toll on our property as well.

no doubt we have best people on here.hpa forum in pa has worst people and are protectors of the pgc/dcnr......
Old 12-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

being i own 100 acres of privateland and hunt only SFL.i kind of see what is really happening.it would be easy for me to get buck on my land in archery, no problem.
but i like my area i hunted for 46 years.
there is no comparison to private/publicland.i dont overkill does and have deer,SFL does.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

I just heard a good one from a friend of my dad. His friend for some reason or another didn't get any doe tags when you send out for them. So the day before Thanksgiving he went to the courthouse to buy some and wanted to purchase 3 tags. The lady hands him 13 tags instead and only charged him for the 3 he wanted. They must desperately want to get rid of these tags for the big slaughterfest. This is for wmu 5c. I think they issued 30 thousand more this year than last year. They always seem to sell out, but not this year last week I checked and they still had 2200 left.