Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Legal in PA? 3/side >

Legal in PA? 3/side

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Legal in PA? 3/side

Old 12-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe he would.

Did anyone here know that any speeding ticket written for under 10 miles exceeding the limit is an invalid ticket, unless written by a PA State Trooper? Then, for Troopers, the cutoff is 5 MPH. I think they should change it to one mile over and you lose your license.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WCO R.W.J
Apply for the next training class , spend 50 weeks at the Academy, Then you will know all about it.

Its not hard to understand, Common sense and good judgement apply when enforcing the law. If every law was enforced to the letter everyone would be getting a ticket for something, (56 in a 55 mile an hour zone)

I measure from the beam just as they do for measuring trophys. If its close the hunter gets the benefit of the doubt. Would you be happier if I slammed everyone for being 1/32nd of an inch short?
I don't want to know it all, I just want to know when a point that is less than 1" becomes a violation and the hunter no longer gets a break.

You say if it is close the hunter gets the break, so how do you define "close"? BTW, I agree that if a point is within 1/32nd, the hunter should get a break.

Are there still two types of AR violations, the accidental illegal kill and the intentional violation?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by livbucks
I believe he would.

Did anyone here know that any speeding ticket written for under 10 miles exceeding the limit is an invalid ticket, unless written by a PA State Trooper? Then, for Troopers, the cutoff is 5 MPH. I think they should change it to one mile over and you lose your license.
Can you back up that claim with some independent reference? I doubt very much if that is true, if the officer determines your speed by following you in his patrol car.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

As far as what the PA law states, if those points do not measure an inch….it’s illegal. The law written doesn’t make exceptions for what should have been, only what is taken. Now whether or not a CO would take the law to the letter…is up to him or her.

Originally Posted by WillPA
If you measure as they do with P&Y(center of antler) both points are well over an inch.

Not to get off the subject but P&Y DOES NOT measure from the center of the antler. Now I see how people can come up with some ridiculous scores when they try measuring themselves. Learn how they do it before you start trying to tell others how to do it. Below is right from the score sheet and the bold letters is how it's to be done. Not even close to what you posted WillPA

G: Length of points. Points are measured from the nearest edge of the main beam over the outer curve all the way to the tip of the point. The starting position for the measurement is on an imaginary line made by extending the main beam across antler point. Take as many measurements as there are antler points. An antler point must be at least one inch long to be considered.

Last edited by MKMGOBL; 12-14-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is also the definition the PGC uses to determine a legal point and we still don't know how the law is enforced.

Since I process my own deer ,maybe I should just establish my own standards.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

question is would wco have taken exception to that ADULT buck with broken off horn with a piece sticking up close to inch.
i think not.

sproul has spoken!
Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
That is also the definition the PGC uses to determine a legal point and we still don't know how the law is enforced.

I think all laws are enforced when it comes to wildlife. In my opinion, game officers don't cut too many breaks like a traffic cop.

To end all speculation of what people think would be right or what the law is, why doesn't someone just email PGC and asked them? Seems that would settle it. I’m sure though that many wouldn’t believe or live with their answer if it didn’t go in their favor

Last edited by MKMGOBL; 12-15-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MK-M-GOBL

I think all laws are enforced when it comes to wildlife. In my opinion, game officers don't cut too many breaks like a traffic cop.

To end all speculation of what people think would be right or what the law is, why doesn't someone just email PGC and asked them? Seems that would settle it. I’m sure though that many wouldn’t believe or live with their answer if it didn’t go in their favor

i will save you trouble.if broken off point is not 1 inch,its not legal according to rule.but ethical, i dont believe with that point almost 1 inch that had a point maybe 10 inchs long that wco would enforce that rule.
i used to do things using my judgement at work.not right to letter of rules.i felt good but i always had it come back and bite me in a.it seems today there is always someone trying to get you fired or dont like you because of who you are etc.
its hard for say a WCO to give a break and feel good and have a troublemaker come back and get him or her in trouble.

when we had strong unions you could do things and not end up being brought in and asked why you did not go by letter of rules or told you cant use GOOD JUDGEMENT.
today its if you dont do it MY way you are dismissed or demoted or put on 3rd shift or transferred to newark,nj sorry i rambled off again but i think a WCO who would take exception to this is someone who does not have SPINE and most likely is going to go up ladder in the PGC.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

Your opinion is noted and I hear what you’re saying. I agree with you but it still doesn't answer the golden question unless you are a Pennsylvania Conservation Officer. I’m sure that every officer will look at it differently based on the person in question or the area their working in. However, if you have at least one officer letting you know what they would do, you could probably figure the other officers might lean the same way without having to ask every CO in the state.

The law is what it is and until I’m in that position as a CO and know what fudging they can do, I’d have to follow the law. I’m sure I’d be called a prick or hard@$# but I’d hate for my supervisor to come back and check up on me or someone question it and lose my job and my ability to feed my kids over trying to be nice guy. This is a question tough for sure

Last edited by MKMGOBL; 12-15-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Typical Buck

OK eveyone, I just called Harrisburg and they saw the photo after they asked to see it. I sent it without giving up the site or original poster just in case it wasn't legal

The operator I was talking with showed it to a CO officer in the office and he said and I quote..."perfectly legal! It is a six pointer"

Merry Christmas everyone and if you're still out there hunting...good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.