HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Bear season (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/310803-bear-season.html)

pats102862 11-26-2009 03:34 AM

Bear season

How did the Pa. bear season go for you guys?

blkpowder 11-26-2009 05:02 AM

I was ready to start the same thread pat's! That's what you heard about on this forum over these past months.All the bears out their.Like to hear from and see some photos of the successful hunters.

bronko22000 11-26-2009 05:23 AM

Well as for our cabin which is located in the heart of the area that holds the #1 or #2 spot each year, with 5 hunters, we did not see a single bear. And neither one of us heard many shots as opposed to other years. Granted the weather on Tuesday and Wednesday was less than desirable we should have heard more shooting. We also heard far less vehicle traffic. I only saw one other hunter the whole time out.
Yet I've seen in the paper that the first and second days was number 2 in the record books? I don't believe that for a second.
ON the bright side however, I saw a lot of other game. Squirrels, turkey and even a few deer, including a couple nice buck I wouldn't mind dropping the hammer on. But not a bear to be found. Not even any scat. But acorns everywhere?

germain 11-26-2009 05:40 AM

We had good fresh sign around and plenty of guys moving but didn't see any bear or hear close shots.Word has it the hotspot in our area this year was medix run.

pats102862 11-26-2009 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by blkpowder (Post 3512372)
I was ready to start the same thread pat's! That's what you heard about on this forum over these past months.All the bears out their.Like to hear from and see some photos of the successful hunters.

I didn't see any bear but I seen 15 turkeys and one tresspasser. This guy really cracked me up, stopped read the posted signs and still came through. The owner hollered at him, cant you read, his reply was i'am trying to get to state land. We then told him do a 180, go back the way you came and you are on state land. These guys are all alike, they have thousands of acres of state land bordering this property and they still want to get on this 10 acres of posted property that I'am allowed to hunt. It makes you wonder sometimes. I heard our local check station was a busy place though. I'am not done. I still got three days in deer season.

Pawildman 11-26-2009 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by germain (Post 3512401)
We had good fresh sign around and plenty of guys moving but didn't see any bear or hear close shots.Word has it the hotspot in our area this year was medix run.

Germain.....We had several of our guys hunt above Medix Run, between Medix and Little Medix. They saw one small bear being taken out, and heard little shooting. I hunted near our camp close to Alex Branch, and heard a fair amount of shooting, but nothing close. We did have a big bear try to take one of our coolers AGAIN last Sat. night, about 12:30 AM. The sound got me awake, and I managed to scare him off by yelling at the top of my lungs at him. Scared the daylights out of the other guys in camp, too. Never saw head nor tail of him Mon. or Tues., however. Just not a lot of hunters out there this year, it seemed to me.......

germain 11-26-2009 02:50 PM

wildman.we ran into two kids with a small bear heading toward the check station.They said they got it at medix run where alot of shooting took place.Maybe they were full of crapola.:s1:
We hunted the parker dam area.No close shots throughout the day but decent sign.

This past summer in july we had a bear raid our cooler.Put teeth marks in three beer cans drank them and ate our food.

sproulman 11-26-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 3512386)
Well as for our cabin which is located in the heart of the area that holds the #1 or #2 spot each year, with 5 hunters, we did not see a single bear. And neither one of us heard many shots as opposed to other years. Granted the weather on Tuesday and Wednesday was less than desirable we should have heard more shooting. We also heard far less vehicle traffic. I only saw one other hunter the whole time out.
Yet I've seen in the paper that the first and second days was number 2 in the record books? I don't believe that for a second.
ON the bright side however, I saw a lot of other game. Squirrels, turkey and even a few deer, including a couple nice buck I wouldn't mind dropping the hammer on. But not a bear to be found. Not even any scat. But acorns everywhere?

7 to 9 bears were killed in your area on monday.5 were cubs and 2 mothers.i just hate to hear that.all were killed on monday.a lot of bears were checked in monday.3 years ago i left mother and 2 cubs go ,i just could not shoot her.

i wonder if hunters know that the cubs lay on mothers body or go up a tree.

sproulman 11-26-2009 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by pats102862 (Post 3512316)
How did the Pa. bear season go for you guys?

big kill this year, i think 152 vrs 52 last year in clinton.some laughed when i said bear moved to potter county last year.well potter was real low this year on kill, clinton had feed and POTTERS bears came to us.also cameron had big kill too.

bears go where the feed is when feed is scare.i never saw so much bear poo as i saw this year.
hunter said to me, SPROUL YOU NOTICE ON PATHS THAT BEAR POO IS ALWAYS ON SIDE OF PATH NOT IN MIDDLE, HE LAUGHED AND SAID, I GUESS THEY DONT LIKE TO POO IN MIDDLE OF PATH.
i did not have the guts to tell him that I THREW ALL BEAR POO FOR 5 MILES ON PATHS ALONG SIDES AS I DID NOT WANT TO STEP IN IT WHILE HUNTING GROUSE WITH TOBY:rolleye0011:
boy the things i do in woods,i should write a book:)

sproulman 11-26-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by germain (Post 3512401)

is that bar still at medix run?been years that i have been there.also there was restaurant there run by guy named ben?boy, lots of deer there in 1970.i hunted over in hollow next to there called wykoff run.it was nothing to see 50 deer a day easy just taking a still hunt up a hollow and never pass a hunter.