Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Very disturbing  pgc supports concept of birth control >

Very disturbing pgc supports concept of birth control

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Very disturbing pgc supports concept of birth control

Old 11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I think I liked it better when the old blow hard was out in Illinois.

Last edited by Maverick 1; 11-26-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

"The paragraph about Gonacon in the deer chronicle was in no way supportive of it's use. It is realistic for any game agency to anticipate public pressure from anti's and wel meaning non hunters to use it in certain areas. The PGC chose to address the issue rather than ignore the fact that the issue WILL come up."

YEah, you mean CAVE to that pressure just as they did with audubon. Course you dont have to CAVE to audubon and hsus type flunkies when those enviromentalist flunkies are running the commission and hsus is one of their newest best friends.

"I think a more appropriate question is whether you can manage to post anything other than an attack on either the PGC or those on here who dont slink away when you start your screaming hissy fits and tantrums. "

And its widely known exactly what you do when you cannot keep up intellectually in a debate. You insult and you lie, not necessarily in that order. And then when that doesnt work lie some more. Then whine about having those lies pointed out. Your above statement is a prime example. Nowhere in this thread have i screamed thrown a hissy fit or anything else which you are noted for. You like to insult when you have no defense for your precious gameless commission (whom evidently a close friend or family member is tangled up in).

Anyway, now that Ive addressed your bullchit, Ill address the issue....Again. The GUIDELINES for USE pretty much says it all to anyone who has a brain in their head, as does the statement that those guidelines will be in regards initially to VIGOROUS REAL WORD TESTING. That doesnt mean it WONT be used it means it WILL BE USED for TESTING purposes at the very least. Then from there...who knows. A PRO hunting agency wouldve nipped it in the bud from day one. But we all know we dont have one of those dont we?

"Take a chill pill, eat some turkey and have a creatine smoothie."

Already done with two of the three today, chill pill not necessary.

"Maybe it'll make you feel better. I'm leaving for deer camp so feel free to have the last word. "

As if i needed your permission to reply to a post. lmao. Is that PA deer camp? Whatsa matter run outta cash? lol

Bigcountry? What does he have to do with this thread beside your attempt to deflect attention from your foolishness as usual? I think you and he should get together. Birds of a feather. lol. He can shoot a doe in the arse with his bow as he has said he likes to do, and you can lie as you like to do and say he heart shot a 160" 12 pointer. Perfect hunting buddies. lmao.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 11-26-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Maverick 1
I think I liked it better when the old blow hard was out in Illinois.
I also find it to be suspicious that all his chronies started popping up about the same time that he came back.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

rolf............ yup some hunters start showing up in between hunting seasons.
and some complain theres no deer in season
Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM
Banned

Thought Id resurrect this post, since the issue had been mentioned a few times lately, and some may have missed it previously.

Whos pushing for gonacon? Environuts & Animal rights groups.

What has been the response?

From Ohio as told by one such idiot animal rights group, I think it pretty much speaks for itself on Ohios stance:

"
The ODOW and ODNR have blocked speakers from the NWRC from appearing at our seminar in Ohio. Below is a limited information from the NWRC about Gona-Con. We will discuss more at our conference on Thursday, October 20th (see more). The ODOW or ODNR who have been invited will not be present to defend their position as they have declined to appear."

ODNR and ODOW was invited to this event, they refused to attend and declined our invitations and did everything to stop the event from occuring. The ODNR and ODOW have also blocked the appearances of biologists from the NWRC (National Wildlife Research Center) of the USDA who have created Gona Con a revoloutionary immunocontraceptive. The work NWRC is something that the ODOW does not want Ohio citizens to hear.

Please contact Governor Strickland (614-466-3555), your local State Represenative, State Senator, local Mayors and ask for changes at the ODNR and ODOW! They should be working for the citizens of Ohio and not ignoring us.

Call Govenor Strickland (614-466-3555) tell him we need our state agencies to be responsive. Please call The Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources (ODNR)

---------------------------------------------

What do MOST states think about birthcontrol/gonacon?

"few states had a policy" "and most biologists indicated the agencies would NOT likely grant a research permit for deer fertility research"...
----------------------------------------------------------
Pennsylvania's stance?:

"Given the unproven nature of these drugs to control or manage a free-ranging deer population, any Game Commission guidelines for their use will be designed to rigorously test this drug in real world circumstances."

I see pgc being an exception here. No wonder seeing as how close theyve come to be with audubon. That little stunt going hand in hand with hsus spokeswoman to petition legislators seems a bit more meaningful now as well, when you consider thats exactly who is pushing for this birth control.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-19-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here's everything that the PGC has said publicly about deer birth control that I could find....

Research Nationwide
Wildlife fertility control approved by EPA
Birth control for deer is not a new concept. In fact, research on these drugs is more than four decades old. And none of the drugs researched has ever been federally approved…until now.
Recently, the EPA gave approval to GonaCon as a restricted use pesticide. GonaCon is a immunocontraceptive vaccine developed by USDA Wildlife Services at the National Wildlife Research Center. It prevents sex hormones from being produced, and the animal remains in a non-reproductive state as long as a sufficient level of antibody activity is present.
Whether GonaCon can reduce deer populations in developed areas is still unknown.
Although GonaCon can stop reproduction in individual animals, its effect on a population is the most important measure for deer management. Past studies have shown fertility control to be a slow-acting, unreliable population management method.
GonaCon is considered a single-shot, multiyear vaccine for use on female white-tailed deer. In a two different field studies, it was shown to be 88 percent and 67 percent effective in preventing pregnancy in white-tailed deer in Year 1 and less than 50 percent effective in preventing pregnancy in Year 2. Efficacy of GonaCon is dependant on the individual animal’s immune response. As a result, there will be deer that are treated that will still get pregnant and have fawns.
Fall 2009 8 Managing Pennsylvania’s wild birds, wild mammals, and their habitats for current and future generations. www.pgc.state.pa.us
Other limitations of GonaCon include:
  1. 1. Animal capture: GonaCon must be administered by hand injection. This requires all animals to be captured, handled, and tagged.
  1. 2. For adult females only: GonaCon is for use in female white-tailed deer 1 year of age and older. Female fawns cannot be treated with GonaCon. However, in many areas of Pennsylvania female fawns breed before one year of age.
  1. 3. Other deer population management methods: GonaCon is not intended to be the sole method of deer population management. Other methods will need to be employed to reduce deer populations and impacts.
  1. 4. Limited Applicators: Only USDA or state wildlife management agency personnel or persons working under their authority will be specifically permitted to use GonaCon. As a result, state wildlife agencies will set criteria for any possible uses of GonaCon.
All of this means any potential use of GonaCon will not be simple. The federal registration of GonaCon opens a new chapter in deer management options. However, some of the same old issues – such as drug effectiveness, and the ability to capture and treat a large proportion of the population – will remain substantial challenges. Given the unproven nature of these drugs to control or manage a free-ranging deer population, any Game Commission guidelines for their use will be designed to rigorously test this drug in real world circumstances.
Users of GonaCon will have to capture deer – similar to this deer captured as part of a Game Commission field study – and hand inject the drug into each animal.

While it's not quite the response that Ohio had, it is certainly nothing even close to an endorsement. As a matter of fact, it's very skeptical of the idea of deer contraception
Old 12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Banned

Id agree with Skeptical, but only in the sense of it meaning it may or may not work as intended. (I could use for example say, Im skeptical that our fee increase prevention may not have the desired effect, but doesnt mean I dont support it)... But thats not what the matter of debate is. Its not wether they are sure or not of the effectiveness etc. The issue is, Should they support using it at all in the first place? I say HELL NO! And its clear they are going to grant permission to do so!! Thats my point and thats 100% wrong. Especially when the many apparently more hunter friendly states.... Who arent having excessive and extreme deer plans in place etc. say they will not endorse this nonsense.

The Quote you posted from the pgc site says it all in its conclusion at the bottom of the page which ive quoted quite a few times now, and the rest of it hasnt much of anything to do with them supporting or not supporting usage for any purposes. The conclusion sums it up. "any Game Commission guidelines for their use will be designed to rigorously test this drug in real world circumstances."

That is exactly the opposite of saying "no we will NOT be endorsing this or granting permission for use by groups for testing or any other purpose in "real world circumstances" (real world in this instance meaning not limited to fenced areas as all testing was previously limited to) anytime in the near future period.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 12-19-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

"any Game Commission guidelines for their use will be designed to rigorously test this drug in real world circumstances."
I guess we just have a different read between the lines interperetation. I take that statemnent as a realistic pre-emptive approach to the inevitable court challenge from PETA and HSUS to force the stuff on us
Old 12-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

We're going to see some changes that's for sure.As the hunter numbers dwindle the PGC won't be able to operate from hunter license fees.Will they be funded by a general fund or will dcnr and the PGC combine?
If the general fund supports them how will the pitt-rob funds come into play?That again comes from hunter's monies and there's a certain guideline to follow to receive those funds.
Soon enough Gary Alt's wish will come true and the old coots will hang er up or in his words die off.
For the sake of hunting in revenue generated that won't be a good thing.
And with all that the question is....will there be enough hunters to keep the deer populations where they want them?
Maryland and Ohio couldn't do it.Had to call in the PA troops to help out.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

Btb, why should they take the "court actions" any more seriously from Peta, than they did usp?

The usp threat of action didnt cause them to blink, even though they had reasonable concerns.... Yet they give creedence to the biggest whack jobs on the planet in peta in regards to such an extreme antihunter type subject?

I dont get it. As for "having to" i aint buying it. Not when other states want nothing to do with the stuff and couldnt give a crap less about peta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.