Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY opening day, who dropped one? >

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Old 12-01-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by DeerandbearhoG
completely incorrect, you obviously have never hunted these areas, these deer not only get hammeerd by legal hunters they are relentlessly shot at by night poachers as soon as they come into hard antler. people are constantly jacking deer along the hyways from yonkers on up into westchester too.these are the most pressured deer in the country! The difference between there and the catskills is deer dont have too many places to hide down here. most of the places I hunt in the suburbs are 20 acres or less, they get up out of their beds, you see em, its that simple. the catskills is an enormous place where a deer could easily hide deep in the endless laurals and swamps without ever being seen. like i said earlier just because you dont see big bucks doesnt mean they dont exist ,that is completely rediculous and impossible too prove anyway. are you really gonna suggest that every buck in the more rural areas is killed before it reaches maturity??? Ive also hunted big state land (30k acres) down here which is probably closer to what hunting in the catskills is like, definatly not suburban hunting, its thick dark woods w/ low deer #s. Ive sat for days without seeing anything and certainly nothing big, but Ive found 130" sheds 100yds from the parking area. Ive also seen a few big bucks taken from phonecia,cooperstown, cortland etc. too. That said ,Im kind of curious why anyone would be so bent on thinking no big bucks exsist in some areas, what does pessimism acomplish?
Yeah right. My uncle last year was invited out to Long Island to bow hunt with a friend on some state land. He had never hunted this type of environment before. He typically hunts the Catskills with me. Within the first half hour he had numerous does running around his stand and a twelve pointer just out of range. The twelve point then ran over to his friend who bagged him. In his many years hunting in the Catskills he never saw a twelve pointer never mind seen one within the first half hour. I'm not saying everyone who hunts the suburban environments has this kind of luck but in general they see way MORE deer than the Catskill hunter will. Bucks included. You are correct that they don't have a lot of places to hide in the suburban environment thus the success is way better down there. Yeah, the few bigger bucks in the Catskills DO have more places to hide, and thus they may not get shot. Exactly WHO has access or could cover every inch of land up there? The few bigger bucks that may live up there probably won't get shot by you or me since our area that we hunt will be limited just like it would be anywhere else. You can do all the homework you want, the odds are that the big buck most likely won't be anywhere near where we are hunting. It all adds up to way less success on big bucks in a place like the Catskills compared to the suburban environment. I myself could care less about big bucks. I am happy with any deer I shoot and I have filled both my buck and doe tag already in Delaware county. I am not gripping in the least only pointing out that it takes way LESS effort to kill a deer in a suburban environment compared to others.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i never sugested hunting big woods bucks is easy or that the sucess rates are the same as suburban hunting, but some want to suggest that big bucks dont exisit in some regions of NY, or claim poor genetics, i just dont buy it, theres big and small everywhere, ive seen the trophies taken in these places. i also dont think peopl should mak the mistake in thinking suburban deer are push overs, they can be very elusive and nocturnal, and they get educated real quick. you may see em but they also have the tendecy to bust a bowhunter in a tree too.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I got a nice doe on Saturday afternoon, buddie got another nice doe that morning, his son took a doe opening morning, and another guy got a 6pt OPening morning. Not bad seeing as we signed the lease on this property on Friday before opening morning.

Schuyer county Cayuta .

Sorry no pictures.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I popped (bang / flop) a decent 8 pointer at first light on opening morning (Steuben County). He went well with the 5 point I got during the last few days of bow season. Neither were big racks (the 8 was better) but were large bodied and healthy. They now are resting comfortably in the freezer.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WNYhunter
I heard there was a "HUGE" buck shot in waterport, ny. I seen the pic and know the guy so I don't want to post his pic and name. But if someone finds it and please take his name and face out before posting.
I saw that too ....huge rack on that thing but i dont have a pic of it.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

Muzzypower,
You scored HUGE this year. great bucks w/ bow and gun. THIS WORK. Your season typically like this?

As far as your antler and soil comments. You're 100% on the money. I have a land in the Adirondacks and Allegany county. Allegany deer can produce better racks. the further west you go the better the soil gets and so do the racks. Heck, I've hunted Pike County IL. before and their soil is BLACK. Their deer could eat dirt and produce a better rack than a NY deer eating it's standard diet. However, don't get me wrong. With another year or two on them... let them get to 4,5,6 years only in NY and they'll be monsters. trouble is they're fee and far between or just too smart and I don't seem.

congrats on two beauties
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Spike

Hey Kirch....thanks man.
It was a good year. Still doesn't even feel like deer season to me because it hasn't gotten cold. You never know what's gonna come in front of you I guess. I've had more consistent luck since moving to Chautauqua though!

Where's you're land in the Adirondacks. I'm from Canajoharie originally and spent a few summers up there during college. Spent one summer live trapping/radio collaring deer in Newcomb/Long Lake on the forestry college property .
Thanks again
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Hunt4Life23
hey johnnyc congrats, what part of the state did you shoot that buck?
Took that one in East Otto, NY (Cattaragus County) same stand location I took the buck in my avatar photo out of a few years back.