Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY opening day, who dropped one? >

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY opening day, who dropped one?

Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gergie
one more
WOW im so jealous of your genetics, are 4.5 year olds look NOTHING like that. Gratz!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

got in late on opening day shot this one about 6:30 am there was a nice six pointer trailing this one I love Sterling Forest
Attached Thumbnails NY opening day, who dropped one?-dsc00024.jpg  

Last edited by ballbusta; 11-25-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM
Spike

I got one yesterday! My first!! You can check him out in my thread, I'm super happy with him!! Taken in 8T
Old 11-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Fork Horn

Opening day here we had a heavy fog. You couldn't see no more than 10 yds but that lifted at around 9:30am. At around 10am I catch movement in front of me and this guy stepped out 45 yards from me.

Last edited by ctwny1; 11-26-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by BigBuck95
I know man. If there are consistently that big of deer in NY, someone please please tell me where they are!
Ain't no big ones here in Steuben County....

Seriously, NY (especially central/western NY) produces some whoppers every season. There's nothing wrong with the genetics of our deer, just the age structure of the herd.

Last edited by WNY Bowhunter; 11-26-2009 at 04:54 AM.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont buy into the idea that some places have only small bucks. every area I hunt ive seen small, medium, and big deer. just cause you dont see the big ones dosent mean there not there. I think some people see and kill more big bucks because the areas they happen to hunt are less pressured and the big boys are less nocturnal. I hunted 3 days in a row this week, on a 20 acre parcel of land adjacent to a hunting club, saw nothing at all until a big 8 point slipped in behind me at 30 yds, at 12noon, by the time I saw him grabbed my gun and turned around he was coverd by too much brush I made the mistake of not expecting to see anything, especially that big, and I paid the price by missing out on that opprtunity. always believe you have the chance to see a big deer on every hunt, because my belief is that wherever deer are found big bucks can be found.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MagnumMan308

Not bitching about it, as I'm just as happy with my hard-earned, ratty-antlered bucks as anything, but to imply that those who don't habitually see or kill large 8 pointers 'just don't hunt hard enough' is bull$hit.
well if you have to curse to make a point, it usually means you dont have much else to back it up.I never said people who dont kill big bucks, dont hunt hard. I said just cause you dont see em, doesnt mean they dont exist. Ive seen too many big bucks killed ,and big sheds found ,in places Ive spent hundreds of hours on stand w/out seeing anything bigger than 100". I doubt anyone can point to a study showing that certain areas dont hold any big bucks, how could there be? how can anyone say w/ certainty that there are no big bucks in any given area?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

NY genetics are so inferior to the midwest genetics it some times makes me sick.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

you know, NY did produce a former world record typical. roosevelt luckey buck shot 1939, scored 198" in 1955, world record till 1960. Id hardly say NY has inferior genetics. people in the midwest dont all shoot big bucks either.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 AM
Spike

The midwest has tremendous soils which contributes alot to the good antler growth. Soils and minerals make up alot of what nutrition is. That's a huge reason why eastern ny/new england bucks don't compare with western ny. Even "big" adirondack bucks require an extra year or 2 to get the same antler growth as a central/western ny deer.

Genetics can be diminished in an area for sure. Where I grew up hunting in Otsego County, no does were shot for decades on a piece a thousands of acres in size. The only bucks surviving were those with spikes etc. that were hard to see. NOt that all spikes are inferior, but over time the pool will be hurt.

I was fortunate enought to get redemption on this buck yesterday morning in Chautauqua county, after missing him on Sunday. Sunday he was on high alert because thedoe he was shadowing was on high alert. Yesterday, he was shadowing a yearling buck and was just the opposite. Honestly, he looked completely exhausted. He had no fat and is wayyy run down which is surprising because the rut just didn't seem intense at all this year. good luck to everyone still hunting...you just never know what may come by. It'll be tough for me to top this year.
http://s670.photobucket.com/albums/vv65/Harley3476/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.