Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Seeing less deer >

Seeing less deer

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Seeing less deer

Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Seeing less deer

I,ve been seeing a lot less deer this season and not sure why .
All plots, and local farmers have planted the same as in the past .
I was told there were many coy dogs , I ve only seen 2 coy dogs and ones been taken care of .
Something I,ve never seen in all my years of hunting is a BOBCAT ,
Guess what I seen on Friday morning,, a BOBCAT , He was abought 65 yards away from me walking slowly on my trail .
He stopped looked my way and sensed something wrong , then slowly turned around took a couple steps them walked into the woods . Didn't no weather to grab my gun or camera , ended up happening so fast before I new it he was gone ..
Also any deer that come out to feed in the fields are doing so very late , pretty much at dusk ??
Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 AM
Spike

Default seeing less deer

I live in northern NY and the deer have been skiddish and the deer numbers are way down this year. We don't have a lot of deer here anyways because of no farms, but we had a tough winter here last year and it shows. All the hunters I talk to aren't seeing hardly any deer. Bowhunted a lot and saw doe and fawn. Wouldn't even come in stand they were so nervous. Something is going on this year. Like I said every hunter I talk to said they noticed the same thing.
Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Fork Horn

I notice that they are coming in RIGHT at last shooting light. The numbers are about the same as last year here, but I don't see them until it's just about too dark to see anything
Old 11-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Spike

Nature is always cycling and the only constants are change and variability. It is a combination of factors that affect deer movement and sightings. Do not get hung up on predators or the weather. The last few years in NY the action has really picked up after Thanksgiving and especially in December when most hunters are watching football.

It is amazing how we can turn over every rock with no results and then all of a sudden start stumbling on deer. They are amazing.

Hunt the woods as you find them. Do not relive old hunts. Sage words I received from a hunter years ago.