Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
11/2- 11/7 Rut Hunting Report >

11/2- 11/7 Rut Hunting Report

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

11/2- 11/7 Rut Hunting Report

Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default 11/2- 11/7 Rut Hunting Report

WEll, Nov 2 was the full moon that would suposedly start things rocking. My evening sit I didn't have long to wait. Saw a mature eight battling a yearling six point in what ws definitely the most intense buck fight I have seen. Almost got a shot at the eight at last light, but it wasn't meant to be. Couldn't hnut on the third or fourth, but my buddy sat our area on the fourth and witnessed intense chasing in the a.m....saw 5 buck and nine does...all bucks were chasing. On Thursday the 5th, i sat dark till dark and saw 17 deer, of which 6 were buck...all chasing or trailing does.....in the evening I saw a breeding party of atleast three buck all chasing one doe. Next day, Friday was like flipping a switch (off.) Only saw 5 doe and NO buck...NO chasing. My buddy hunted Saturday, while I had to work and then watch the extremely disappointing Penn state game. Should have hunted instead. He only saw two doe and no buck. I also am not seeing deer in the mornings coming to work for the first time in over 2 weeks. Bucks are locked down with doe now. Buddy saw one breeding (on top of) a doe in a thcket on his farm, then bedded together. This warm spell isn't helping us either, but deer movement was slowing down anyway with breeding phase starting. Chasing phase seemed brief, but was intense when it was on. Hoping to intercept one between does later this week, but praying for a cold spell after this front in mid-week to help spur daytime deer movement.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The peak of the rut generally occurs around 11/15.The next couple weeks should be pretty hot.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Bring it on.... our season starts saturday. Low wind today I better go out and sight in the gun. I used it out west and was sighted in 2" high at 100 to allow for long range shots. The thin air out there will make it necessary to re-sight and I will go dead on at 100 for VT type shots.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-10-2009 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My area of 5C is absolutely dead. The doe are still running with their fawns and there is no sign of cruising or chasing. I have never seen so few rubs and scrapes this late in the season. Rumor has it that there are a few big bucks in the area, but there are no big rubs to confirm it. Looks like we will have only 2 good days left since they are predicting rain for Fri. and Sat.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have seen a TON of bucks in the last week, some really big ones too, and one of our party took a very nice 8 on Saturday. We have seen almost no rubs or scrapes for that matter. I saw my buck of a lifetime and another very respectable buck that was pushing a doe on Saturday. Here is the buck that was taken.

Last edited by livbucks; 11-10-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Typical Buck

I just got back from Montana, But what I gathered from the trail cam and what my girl friends dad got on the vid cam, my hunting spot was rockin. I got pics of three nice bucks that I never seen before, and her dad recorded 4 minutes of video coverage of the big boy.