Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
NY: Whats going on? >

NY: Whats going on?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

NY: Whats going on?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I think the bucks are starting to cruise pretty good now in central NY. Since Friday I have seen two nice 8's a 7, a 3, a spike and one whopper. All in the morning. The heat in the days is slowing it up. This am was cooler and I saw 3 bucks by 8am. The next few days are supposed to be cold in the am and no more 60's. I would be glued to a good stand the next 2 to 3 days if I could.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

0 rutting action at all. And now 60s again this weekend...what is the Alabama?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Steve863
I've had people argue with me when I bring up the weather. They say weather has nothing to do with it and it's all about the moon cycles and things like that. I say BS! If it's warm there is less breeding activity in my opinion. Sure a buck will breed a willing doe if he finds one no matter what the weather, but in general there is less activity when it is warm.
I am pretty certain that does start coming into estrus as a result of a decrease in daylight, but I think some of them do earlier than others. I saw plenty of serious chasing and tending as early as oct 25th this year, and some of those does looked like they were ready to be bred soon by their behavior. I think deer move less in general when its warm ,this time of year, simply because they are wearing their winter coats now.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by tigerw10
The bucks are ready to breed now...... but the does aren't yet. The rut isn't in full swing yet here either, and I believe with a cold snap the does will come into heat. Warm weather is screwing with us here in NY.
Does a cold snap make you wife or girlfriend ovulate? It wont a deer either they are on a cycle just like every other mammal.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Steve863
I've had people argue with me when I bring up the weather. They say weather has nothing to do with it and it's all about the moon cycles and things like that. I say BS! If it's warm there is less breeding activity in my opinion. Sure a buck will breed a willing doe if he finds one no matter what the weather, but in general there is less activity when it is warm.
You will see less activity during the day yes, there is plenty of activity at night when it is much cooler. Deer car collisions show this. Moon maybe? Cycle defiantly! The estrus cycle.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbearfax
Does a cold snap make you wife or girlfriend ovulate?
No, but on those colder nights she is more likely to snuggle up close to you which just might lead to something else.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

No one said they aren't coming into esterous, just saying the unseasonable warm weather coupled with a very bright moon leads to night time activity being increased.