Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Ny bow buck

Old 11-08-2009, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ny bow buck

Shot sat morn, retrieved sunday afternoon. 7 pts 15.5 spread 161 lbs dressed. zone 5s. 1st buck with the bow

Old 11-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice one, especially for your 1st
Old 11-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS, Nice 1st buck.
I wish I had the same outcome you did. I hit a good buck on a evening watch 10/31. I thought I put a perfect shot on him, but upon inspection of the spot I realized my shot was a little low for the angle from my treestand. He was heading into a previously logged woods, that was nasty thick. So I decided no since risking a 1 lung shot into thick woods in the dark, and let him lay until morning. I found him ok the next morning, but so did the coyotes. They completely tore him apart. No meat could be salvaged. I was devastated. I hadn't heard a coyote around them woods in 2yrs. All I got was his rack, also a 7pt w/16" spread.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Fork Horn

That sucks about the coyotes..... Where I hunt its loaded with them, I was suprised this buck wasnt tore apart.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice buck... congrats...
Old 11-09-2009, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

My son shot a 7 pt this year bout 3:30 in the afternoon. Perfect shot on him at 35 yds, nice blood trail. We waited almost an hour and a half, started tracking him, saw where he went into a thicket, took a step into into it and he took off. We kicked him up again and you could tell he wasn't moving very fast, and went out of sight. Gave him another 1/2 hour, getting dark, came to another ticket, blood trail leading right in. I circled around one way, my son went the other, looked around, saw nothing and decided to head out. My son took off work, went up the next morning, found him 10 yds from the path in that ticket, coyotes ate the whole ass out of him. Ruined everything. He took the head and made a European mount out of it. Sullivan county has it's fair share of coyotes too. Great first buck with a bow, great recovery, and it had to be a thrill to see a rack like that coming through.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a nice buck and your first
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Spike

It seems that the population on coyotes is on the rise in NY. I also had my first bow kill these season and had a coyote track my doe within 15-20 mins after she dropped. Thank god my doe went down just 40 yards or so from my stand. The coyote spotted me as I was readying my bow to take a shot at it. My area is lower dutchess and i can hear meal calls almost every night around 3am...