Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Next Weekend... Rut? >

Next Weekend... Rut?

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Next Weekend... Rut?

Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good. What should I use for the scent trail attached to my boot? Rope? How much estrous should I put on that rope?

As for the snort/wheeze... Im kinda nervous about trying that... Does it scare other deer away alot?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Typical Buck

Don't snort wheeze if a deer is close or looking at you. More as a stoppper if a buck is going by out of range and won't come to your grunts. Also makes your rattling more effective...mature bucks often snort wheeze in aggression before they charge another buck. I use small diameter rope or parachute cord to attach my drag. Just spray it with de-scent, and try not to handle the rag/ wick...or wear latex gloves. You have alot of questions, and that's great. I love to see kids so interested in hunting. I reccomend that you buy a subscription to deer and deer hunting magazine, and try to absorb everything you read. That magazine can teach you things that would otherwise take years to learn about deer behavior. Best magazine out there, imo. It 'll never steer you wrong. I live in pa and there was mega chasing action today. I'm sure ct is experiencing the same thing. Good luck, bud. This is the best time all year to get a buck! Hope those tips help you out, and if you get lucky, be sure to share some pics!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Yah, I cant stop thinking about hunting lol. And one more question.. You said you use a small rope and then said careful handling the wick. So I basically just tie a wick or rag to a rope and then that to my boot? Ive tried all sorts of scents and estrous before but never tried a drag. Ill be hunting at the property in NY where our family owns 70 acres. Mostly woods and a fiew small meadows. On average between a morning and evening sit I will see about 5 deer. I will look into that magazine. Thanks again for the advice. And I will definetly post pics after I shoot that nice 10 point this weekend.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Fork Horn

Havn't peaked here in upstate NY yet! You should be coming at a great time!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in PA we definitely havent reached the peak yet as i think that will come this weekend or early next week so you should be in excellent shape for your trip. Use the advice that screamin gave as he gave a lot of good stuff. I also love using a drag with some doe in estrous on there and have seen that work many times bringing in deer that you would never see if you didnt use it. Good luck and make sure you let us know how you do!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Fork Horn

Screamin Steel,
is right on the money. This is the same thing I'll be doing. The next 5 days should be the best days in the woods. Sit all day if you can. I actually sit over my food plot, morning and evening and sit near the bedding area from 10-2pm. The big boys will cruise these beds at this time.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

It looks like it's going to be a warm weekend.. Hopefully the bucks will still be chasing a lot. Highs into the 50s
Old 11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Well... The weekend went pretty good.. Except for the fact we saw very very few deer.. Normally we will see about 5 a day a piece. From saturday to this morning I only saw 3 deer and my dad NONE! Its weird, its like the deer all disapeared off of the face of the earth. No rutting activity what so ever. This weekend I expected to see the most deer up there I have ever seen due to the Rut. But no. Anyways, I still got a deer . Ive been watching this button buck for a few weeks.. Couldve shot him anytime but I wanted to wait for a bigger deer. Well, I decided to take him yesterday at 2:10 because I only had the rest of the evening and monday morning and I wasnt sure if I would be able to get back up there again for bow season. Pictures and full story to come tommarow.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 AM
Spike

My dad and I had the same experience....like they've disappeared. Feels like lockdown in Chautauqua County.