HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Northeast (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast-26/)
-   -   Brothers 1st bow deer, dads doe. Zone 6r NY (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/northeast/308247-brothers-1st-bow-deer-dads-doe-zone-6r-ny.html)

bigwhitetailbuck 10-28-2009 06:13 PM

Brothers 1st bow deer, dads doe. Zone 6r NY

Well, opening morning was a success for our family up at our 70 acre property in NY. First morning out, my brother saw 8 deer. First 2 small deer walked about 40 yards in front of him. He bleated with his mouth and somehow got one of them to come towards him. It walked behind his ladder stand at 8 yards. He drew back, released and wack. The limb of his old martin bow hit the stand causing him to miss. He was upset and didnt think he would see anything else that morning. Then 30 minutes later, he sees 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 deer walk 40 yards in front of him. 1 of them came to his left at 10 yards. She stepped behind a tree, he drew back, she stepped out and he released. Since it was a weird angle he spined and one lunged her. She dropped on the spot. This is his first bow deer. Its only a small 80 pound doe, but he is very proud of it. Yummy venison! :happy0001:

That morning I saw 2 deer. One button buck and his momma. I was going to take the mom because she was a good size. The bb was in front of me for over 15 minutes eating. She came out and of course thats when he looks at me. They stared at me for 5 minutes. I said screw this and drew back anyway. He took off right away,and she stayed for a little over a second... another second i wouldve had her. I also saw the same deer and a few others saturday evening. I couldve shot that bb 150 times if i wanted to, but Im waiting to get a good size doe or a big buck!

My father couldnt make up his mind where he wanted to sit. Saturday morning he didnt see anything. So he moved his climber close to the cabin, about 500 yards down. He saw 6 bolting across even closer to the cabin then he was. He doesnt know what they were running for. So for sunday morning, he moved his stand to where he saw them running. Around 830 he sees 6 deer coming to him. A 130 pound doe steps out at 15 yards. He shot and one lunged her. She ran about 300 yards down the mountain side into some really thick stuff. He also could have taken a few small ones right after that but decided to wait to a buck. Sorry for the bad pic but we forgot to take pictures of his deer until we just started to skin her.

And just for fun, I shot my very first predator... It was with bow, and here in CT. A beautiful fox at about 15 yards. He didnt even move. It was awesome, he was chasing chipmunks.

Phil from Maine 10-29-2009 03:13 AM

Congrats on your hunting success!! Thanks for sharing some pics...

bigwhitetailbuck 10-29-2009 06:25 AM

Thanks phil!

maugus63 10-30-2009 03:50 PM

Nice job to you and your family! looks like you have had plenty of action thus far. It has been slow in my part of 6R.
MIKE

bigwhitetailbuck 10-30-2009 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by maugus63 (Post 3489953)
Nice job to you and your family! looks like you have had plenty of action thus far. It has been slow in my part of 6R.
MIKE

What part of 6r are you? Anywhere near summit ROad/hawthorne/Lindsay road?