Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Blood Clots and Treestands >

Blood Clots and Treestands

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Blood Clots and Treestands

Old 10-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Blood Clots and Treestands

I saw this post on another MB and thought it was worth passing along. I knew blood clots could be a problem while sitting in plane or car, but I never associated it with sitting on stand.

Quote:
I just wanted to remind everyone to get up and stretch your legs every once in a while. I know you don't want to move, but it's not worth the risk.

I am 31 years old, healthy, non smoker, no family history of disease.

I hunted all day last Thursday...the snow day...from my Ameristep Grizzly Climber. And of course I sat statue still and saw plenty of action. The seat is fairly comfortable, but like any tree stand seat I've used, eventually puts pressure behind the knee where the edge of the seat is. Well, sitting still like that for so long in a position that did not allow for proper circulation, gave me a blood clot in my leg. I thought I just had a bad calf cramp for a few days and did not recognize it as a clot. A few days later, on Monday, the clot loosened, broke into pieces and moved through my heart and into both my lungs. Now the calf pain was gone and I had chest pain. Here's the kicker....on Monday, I started a new job that involves some heavy lifting, etc. Due to the physical activity, I thought I just pulled a muscle in my rib cage.....and being my first couple days on the job, I didn't want to be that new guy calling out, going to the doctor's, etc. Well...I worked for 3 days with the clots in my lungs, unknowingly. On Wednesday I fainted...went to the ER and finally discovered exactly how close to death I had actually come. Many people die within minutes of a clot lodging in their lung....I am extremely lucky.

Anyway....I never knew there was a risk of getting blood clots just from sitting still for long periods of time, and I figured many other hunters don't either. Just get up and straighten your legs, flex your toes and muscles for just a few minutes once an hour and make sure that your blood is flowing well. If you feel a charlie horse in your leg, go and get it checked out. And of course if you begin having chest pain, get to a doctor right away!

The symptoms sure disguise themselves well, and in my case, the timing with a new job really had me making the wrong decisions. And now I am on medications that put me at a great risk if I get injured or cut or bruised, etc. Hunting from a tree stand is over for me this season...as are the long hikes to my good spots in public lands... But at least I'm alive and with my wife and family and friends!

Good luck to all this year and BE SAFE!!
Old 10-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

What is it with you lately?
I think you are trying to scare everybody into staying home. LOL!

Good info though, I guess. Something that people don't realize.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would it scare you into staying home? If not,why would you think it would scare others?

Why is it that even if I post something for the benefit of everyone , you want to turn it into something negative?
Old 10-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post.
I fly frequently for my job and it is something i've always known to do when sitting for long periods of time.
I don't hunt in a tree stand but i use a ground blind all the time. In there it is much easier to get away with standing and stretching quite often, which i do for that reason.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'm an RN...good post. I'll stand up in my stand and stretch...after I make sure nothing has snuck in on me....I'll move my legs around, contract and relax muscles...etc.... Thanks for the post bluebird
Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

does this include sittin in front of a puter all day too!!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Time to Log off, get up and stretch, Birdman.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by livbucks
Time to Log off, get up and stretch, Birdman.
Are you going to let a WCO shoot your archery buck for you again this year? That way you won't have to worry about getting clots.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM
Banned

Old 10-28-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

good reminder ole blue one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.