Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Question for NY Southern Zone hunters >

Question for NY Southern Zone hunters

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Question for NY Southern Zone hunters

Old 09-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Spike

Default Question for NY Southern Zone hunters

How are the acorns in your area?I live in Tioga County close to the PA border.I have seen plenty of red oak acorns but the white oak acorns are very sparse this year.Alot of the white acorns that have fallen are not even ripe,still green and small.
We have had alot of rain and the temp has been low for most of the summer.Do you think that has anything to do with the white oak problem?
I think if you find a stand of white oaks that are producing nice,I would set up close to them during archery season.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dvallilee
How are the acorns in your area?I live in Tioga County close to the PA border.I have seen plenty of red oak acorns but the white oak acorns are very sparse this year.Alot of the white acorns that have fallen are not even ripe,still green and small.
We have had alot of rain and the temp has been low for most of the summer.Do you think that has anything to do with the white oak problem?
I think if you find a stand of white oaks that are producing nice,I would set up close to them during archery season.

I noticed the acorns are flowing a lot better then last year! I hope it results in some bigger dear this year, havnt had much time for scouting. Over the last 5 years this year has to be the best for acorns, I have a few welts on my head to prove it.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:06 AM
Typical Buck

remember that white oaks drop every other year whereas reds drop every year. i am in dutchess county and there are acorns EVERYWHERE!! Deer sightings in fields and orchards have dropped significantly-deer are all in the woods stuffin their faces on acorns.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:18 AM
Spike

I was told that its ok to bait deer in months befor the season is this correct. I was even told that you are allowed up until 1 week be4 bow season
Old 10-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb777
I was told that its ok to bait deer in months befor the season is this correct. I was even told that you are allowed up until 1 week be4 bow season
Baiting and/or feeding at not allowed at any time in NY.
This includes the molasses you have been using.
Someone told you wrong - its all in the regs.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:25 PM
G92
Fork Horn

I live in orleans county...close to lake ontario and there are tons of em but i dont base my hunt on em.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Spike

My brother lives on the PA border,say's the chestnut oaks are doing realy well.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:51 AM
Fork Horn

Otsego County here and the acorns are dropping like rain! Big un's too... found one the other day the size of my thumb to the first knuckle.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 AM
Spike

hey sorry, i was misinformed about the feed thing. I hope that its all gone by now cause i wouldnt wanta get busted. wont do that again. good luck to all 3more days
Old 10-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Spike

scouting my area that i hunt theres alot of does, i mean i count about a min of 8 to 12 in one area at once. Not sure but i was also told thats a bad thing. I was told to many does, bucks just run thru and not stick around. A few still have last years fawns around. Not so small but still to little to kill. What should i do in this case. thank you for your help. Dutchess NY