Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Shot a Xbow today >

Shot a Xbow today

Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Shot a Xbow today

Old 09-18-2009, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
I agree with that. But, don't you support QDM which endorsed the PGC HR plan?
I am a member of QDMA which provides me with liability insurance on our leases. I support Quality Deer Management. The QDMA endorsed a portion of the current program but when the ultimate decision maker- BOC does what they want and decisions are made to benefit the extremists who they allied themselves with and have entrenched within their ranks or benefit themselves in terms of revenue all we will ever get is a bastardization of what Quality Deer Management is intended to be. QDMA will not work in Pa on a large scale program nor any other eastern coast state for that matter but especially not Pa. Too many restrictions need to be applied in order for the deer to become the trophy worthy animals QDMA aims to create. I agree they are dedicated to big buck first and foremost. And their practices will work on land that is 1. Vast enough, 2.mineral and food source rich, 3. access is limited to only those who have the same goal in mind and are willing to go without a buck in order for the needed age structure to become established. But most importantly the deer need to be managed by people who love whitetail deer and desire to see them thrive to their potential while proactively improving habitat for a healthy herd to be sustained yet not neglecting the other game animals. In short QDM was conceived in a state that consists of almost all private land/ranches. QDM has never been shown to workas effectively on public lands as it does on private lands managed independently by Landowners/Hunting Clubs/Outfitters or Leasees.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree and it is nice to see there are some honest QDMA members.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too many restrictions need to be applied in order for the deer to become the trophy worthy animals QDMA aims to create. I agree they are dedicated to big buck first and foremost.
I've never heard a qdma/ar supporter admit this. Actually most are after bucks just a little bit bigger since many will shoot any buck with a minimun amount of horn regardless of age.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 4evrhtn
I have never once blamed anything other than our Game Commission for the current state of our deer herd. You have provided me with nothing I haven't already known but thanks for the attempt to clarify the obvious.
My issue is with the PAGC and their carefree attitude towards the deer herd. For your information.... I have never shot a doe until I started managing my own property. I have never shot a doe on public land and I did not contribute to the slaughter. The issue is this.... we did not need a new weapon when our deer herd is in a "stabilization program" across the majority of our state. What was needed was the herd reduction to have ceased before we got to the point we are currently in. If the PAGC would have been doing right by the majority of hunters all along there wouldn't be half the anger there is towards this lastest kick in the guts we received. We need emphasis put on timbering for habitat instead of profit and getting back to doing what the PAGC's sole purpose was when being created= protecting and managing the game animals in Pa, not just turkey and bear where it seems the majority of their efforts have gone while the #1 big game animal in N. America (which more hunters are interested in hunting has been managed so wrecklessly.

You can never underestimate the damage the human factor will inflict. People cannot be expected to do what's right, they will always do everything to the limit they are allowed hence the need for a game mangement agency.
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have pointed out here,,and from reading your other posts,,,your knowledge on game mgmt. is HUGE. I dont know what the cure all is to the gross mismanagement of the PGC, but i suspect that it has to start with the hunters and trying to overcome ones own desires to fill every tag. My reason for being pro x-bow is not so that a bunch of guys can go kill deer and hurt the pop. even more ,,,,but i hope that it invites more people to the sport of hunting! When i take a friend to public hunting areas here and he sees alot of vehicles parked in the parking areas,,he freezes up and complains about too many people,,,but me,,,i see that as a good thing,,,1. it assures me that the sport i live for is going to long out live me,,and 2. i know most of those guys are going to hunt low which will push the deer straight into my lap. I believe that our sports safety is influenced by total #'s and the higher the # the safer it is. (but then again,,what do i know). Oh and i wish you were closer to me so that you could give me some pointers on the private land that i have here. Have an awesome weekend!
Old 09-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Typical Buck

I am happy we have reached a common ground. Sometimes I like to give a couple digs to those I don't agree with to bring about a good debate. I am not an a$$hole though if you only read a few of my posts some would disagree. I love whitetail deer. There is nothing I love more than to see a deer within yards of me while in the woods. It doesn't matter if it's doe or fawns or small buck, I get pumped when a deer walks in my direction even if I have no intent on shooting that particular deer. As far as big buck.... I get wrecked, all tore up and that is why I hunt big buck and let the smaller ones pass. I support other hunters by paying the different memberships I pay. I am not saying the xbow is going to decimate our deer herd but I am saying with our deer herd in as fragile a state as it currently is (among most of the state) any impact will be multiplied and I wish this inclusion would have been phased in instead of the flood gates opened with the "let's see what happens" attitude. I believe in addressing problems before they become harder to manage. We in Pa have issues with the way our deer herd is being managed and we needed our game management agency to address these issues before possibly creating further problems.
No hard feelings from me towards any xbow user, but I will still tease you about being a sissy if you choose this easier method. Take Care Rem, looking forward to the next topic.