Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Northeast
Just over 100K doe tags left in PA >

Just over 100K doe tags left in PA

Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

Just over 100K doe tags left in PA

Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

>check the contents of the stomach, then get back to me on that. You'll find a helluva lot more than just woody browse.

I never said they only eat woody browse but going into winter it is the only thing you can count on since no ones knows what the winter will be like.

It's like the person who makes $30k a year base but also gets bonus money. Some years it's as high as $5 or $6k other years it's a few hundred.

Tell me what dollar figure should this person set their budget at? You can't borrow money or go into debt. Pretend it's just like a deer in the winter, at the point you run out of money your unborn child dies and when your are really broke you die as well.

WV Gino
Old 09-11-2009, 05:53 PM
Banned

Thats a good example gino. Youd set the budged based on the smallest pay to err on the safe side.

You arent doing that by eliminating habitat that provides more food per acre than the habitat type you are actually counting!

You are counting pole timber (and rightfully so of course) in the equation yet it has less food avialability by far, CONSISTENTLY than the habitat type you are speaking of REGARDLESS of winter severity. Remember Im not simply referring to deer digging through 2 feet of snow to get to grasses forbes etc. Have a gander around that fence row around that field lemme know what you also find there. The species present there and in other scenarios even more significant of ag & reverting lands are varied and widespread. When you toss in the 60+% forested land with many owners and varied timbering schedules etc. You get the best habitat overall combined as it can get pretty much.

Simply no way you can exclude it. It makes up many of the best deer habitats in the state as well as the country. And there is a good reason why it is, and also why it has a higher cc. The fact that that type of habitat makes up 35+ percent of the land mass is a GOOD thing, not bad. Also not including that large of a portion based on it not being deer habitat isnt being reasonable, especially when the "developed" lands have already been excluded separately.

Remember Im not speaking of miles and miles of nothing but cornfield that is picked clean and barren of anything later in winter either. Thats not the situation of even close when speaking of our habitat such as is the case in some areas of the country, and no doubt where the perception of "ag" land not being ideal winter habitat came from.

Last edited by Cornelius08; 09-11-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by pats102862
5d is Philadelphia and surounding areas . Its very difficult to gain access the the deer in that WMU. 5C isn't much better.
I been huntin Philly for 30 years . The spots are there If you do your Homework. I also have Tons of spots in 5c also. The spots are there just knock on some doors and there are lot of hunting spots along the Turnpike!

Hatchet jack
Old 09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by hatchet jack
I been huntin Philly for 30 years . The spots are there If you do your Homework. I also have Tons of spots in 5c also. The spots are there just knock on some doors and there are lot of hunting spots along the Turnpike!

Hatchet jack
Well said Jack. Access is available to those who make the time to acquire it. If it's available in Philly and Pittsburgh, it's available everywhere.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

While it is true that access is available to many properties in 2B and 5C, it is also true that there are enough properties with little or no access which prevents the PGC from getting the herd reduction they want. It also limits the PGC's ability to sell the number of tags they would like to sell in 2B.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any good quality management plan provides for sanctuary areas for the deer. The fact that they exist in 2B as a coincidence doesnt change the fact that access to good quality hunting is available to those who put forth the effort
Old 09-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any good quality management plan provides for sanctuary areas for the deer.
But a viable QDM plan would not provide so many sanctuary areas as to prevent hunters from controlling the herd. Obviously there is good hunting available in all WMUs but there isn't enough to provide good hunting for 926K hunters when we have less than 1M PS deer.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bluebird2
But a viable QDM plan would not provide so many sanctuary areas as to prevent hunters from controlling the herd. Obviously there is good hunting available in all WMUs but there isn't enough to provide good hunting for 926K hunters when we have less than 1M PS deer.
The good hunting in 2B is incidental to the highly developed area not a QDM plan. And that has nothing to do with the fact that good hunting is available to the hunter who wants it bad enough to work for it.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

And the fact that good hunting is available has nothing to do with the PGC's DMP. The good hunting is available despite the efforts of the PGC and not because of their efforts. If the PGC plan had succeeded hunter in 2B would be hunting a herd of 13 OW DPSM instead of harvesting 14 DPSM!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same old same old

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.